X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb2005
    • Mar 2005

Thx

I'm just wondering if THX is that big of a difference, since the Rotel, preamps are not THX certified, if anyone can clare this matter up for me, it would greatly be appreciated, i'm seriously considering purchasing the RSP 1098.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

THX does NOT make any real difference, it's more like a Standard than anything. If it's THX certified, it has to be up to X quality. But just because a processor isn't THX, doesn't not mean it's not to X quality, or actually beyond.

My Rotel 1098 destroys my old Yamaha RX-v1400 and that was THX certified... I mean there's just no comparison.

I'm not sure what you have now, but I'm betting that it won't come close once you get the 1098 and let it break in (you get used to it) to what you have now. It will most likely have a bigger sound stage, better imaging, better clarity, more enveloping surround presence (probably the biggest change you'll notice), and far superior stereo playback. Now you could have a really nice receiver/pre so I could be wrong that it will be really nice, but if you are looking at the 1098, I'm guessing this is going to be a big step up.

I will warn you that I originally didn't think it was worth the price difference over my Yamaha, and it took me about 2 weeks to really start to notice all the difference and get used to them. Now I'm not sure I could go back! But I still have my Yamaha because I can't decide if I want to sell it or not... ...might make a nice bedroom home theater!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

THX is really two different animals. First there's THX as a standard of measure for equipement. For an item to carry the THX stamp it has to be submitted to Lucas's labs for testing and for the manufacturer to pay a hefty royalty to lucas for each item sold with the logo on the front. We never get to know what all the tests are and to be honest now that there's so many flavours of THX from Ultra all the way down to select etc its not nearly as useful as it once was. Also given the associated fee's most manufacturers aren't willing to nor feel the need to subject their gear to the testing so you end up with a market where most of the gear isn't tested yet it exceeds their specs.

The other side of THX is the actual post processing that was very useful back in the old pro logic days. Back then THX was useful to apply over pro logic to help give a better surround experience. Today though given the release of pro logic II and the true discrete 5.1 systems its far less of a requirement. Now that's not to say THX doesn't have its place but you'll find most people now don't put much stock in it

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

The Rotel has a "Cinema EQ" mode which is (in my opinion) identical to the THX mode, minus the licensing fees. All the other THX requirements are already met by the rotel products, such as being able to set speaker distance, etc...

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

...and lets not forget that Rotel does put some of their products through THX certification. Their Amps (all?) are...
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• GosonFletchy
            • May 2004

If the manufacturer has to pay to have the THX logo then that cost is passed on to the customer. I believe that Rotel had already paid the royalties for the amps and therefore might as well put the logo on them. I think that Rotel was, and is, far beyond THX standars.

G.

:grab:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"