How many of you would pay extra if the ring around the volume control truly lit up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

How many of you would pay extra if the ring around the volume control truly lit up?

Quite a few times, I've heard people frustrated that the blue ring around the volume control on Rotels doesn't light up, as it seems to in ads.

Let''s say that Rotel would have to up the price per unit $30 or so dollars, would it be worth it to you to have the blue ring of light around the dial?

For me, the answer would be yes, yes, yes. I think it would look cool beyond belief.

Keith
    Keith
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

While it would undoubtedly look cool, and I initially thought it lit up as well, I'm not so sure I'd want it to now. I much prefer to turn as many lights/displays OFF since the gear flanks both sides of my TV and they can be distracting in a darkened room.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I thought of that too, Bill, but figured I'd spend my time just watching (and forcing my family to watch) the cool blue diodes on my Rotel. No more TV, just blue diodes in my house from that point on.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

Well yes for me too...it truly would look quite cool...and for the xtra 30$ ??? when you pay 1500$ to 3000$ for audio gears, does the xtra 30$ really makes a difference???

I also would like to be able to dim by half and turn totally off the display on the unit...a little bit distracting in dark rooms...

what would be also cool, is a choice of level of information in the OSD, like "all"(all the info) "basic"(maybe decode mode and vol.) and "minimal" (just vol.)or something like that...

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
        -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
        - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Glenn
          • Jun 2003

I'd say YES to the blue ring lighting up A full, half, and off brightness level control would be a must as well.

HOWEVER, since I am just about to buy my Rotel, I must admit I'll be slightly choked, if this improvement makes it into the product line AFTER my purchase!

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

For me it,s a no brainer. I,d pay the 30 without hesitation.

dave
            Dave...

Comment

• skipm
              • Jun 2003

Call me a sucker but count me in too. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Just replace that hole cover thingy with a clear acrylic piece, hang a blue diode next to it so the light reflects around and through and wire it up to the blue standby diode that's already there. Shoot, I wish Radio Shack was open right now, I'd modify my 1098 in a heart beat.... NOT!

Comment

• I'mListening
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Bill Blank
                While it would undoubtedly look cool, and I initially thought it lit up as well, I'm not so sure I'd want it to now. I much prefer to turn as many lights/displays OFF since the gear flanks both sides of my TV and they can be distracting in a darkened room.

Bill

Bill, I agree. Although the blue is softer and nicer than red....I still find it distracting with the room lights down. Especially if all I wanna do is kick back listen to some music in the dark. My neighbor bought a new JVC HDTV Ready RPTV...it too has a cool blue ON indicator.....but he can adjust it from his remote to either Bright or Dim, that is a cool idea.

So for me, yes the Blue Volume ring would be a nice elegant touch...but only if we could also select a DIM mode for all the LED's. That would be the "cat's meow!"

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
                Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• Energeezer
                  • Sep 2002

Well I'm taking the other side.
                  I would not pay an extra dime for the light if I had a choice but it would not be a deal breaker if it did either.
                  For me less lights in my HT is better and I much prefer being able to turn them all off which can be done with the 1055 but I forget how. Please someone remind me. I know you have to hold one of the remote buttons down. Which one?
                  A lot of high end gear will give you the option to turn off lighting since all lights add noise. I know I know thats nitpicking.
                  Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• OnlyOne
                    • Aug 2003

I would have no problem with the steeper price point if the light was on. However I agree that it would be nice to have it be menu selectable, ie, Full, dim 66%, dim 33%, off.

Then everyone can be pleased.

Comment

• SayersWeb
                      • Dec 2002

Mine lights up as red on the 1066 - 8)

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Glenn
                        • Jun 2003

Sayer

Just checked out your website for details on the volume ring light source. Couldn't find any info. Soooo, I'll be the first to ask, how did you go about it?

Comment

• Aeromos
                          • Jun 2003

I think a blue light on the silver 1066 would just add to the cool factor. Aesthetically, it would look amazing. But I agree that if it would interfere with the sound signal when it's on, an option to turn it off or dim should be available. I probably would pay extra. But it should not cost them that much more to build into the system.

Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection
                          Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection

Comment

• happydad
                            • Jun 2003

I wouldn't pay for the light feature, and would not use it if it was already a feature.

I used to spend lots of money to mod my PC so it looked "cool" but it kinda worn thin after awhile. I have leds on my PC that light like a VU meter along with music or game audio.

Don't use it anymore. And although I though about cathode ray tubes and neon lights and the such, it just doesn't mean anything.

Now, performance means everything.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                              • Jan 2003

For me less lights in my HT is better and I much prefer being able to turn them all off
                              I used to think that having all of the lights lit up looked cool. While watching movies, I found my eyes drifting from my new 51" Hitachi towards the pretty lights. It was then that I realized that some inexpensive LEDs were drawing my attention away from my $2500 TV. It was at that point that all LEDs that could be turned off were turned off! :LOL:

Comment

• SayersWeb
                                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Glenn
                                Sayer

Just checked out your website for details on the volume ring light source. Couldn't find any info. Soooo, I'll be the first to ask, how did you go about it?
                                Glenn -

This has been a little joke we've had going around here for almost a year now. When this question first came up I was sure that mine lit up and I had a picture to prove it.... but, when I looked at my actual 1066 the ring was not lit. Turns out the flash on the camera is what lit it up! h:

Comment

• Energeezer
                                  • Sep 2002

For me less lights in my HT is better and I much prefer being able to turn them all off which can be done with the 1055 but I forget how. Please someone remind me.
                                  I ask again.
                                  Also
                                  I was looking at my Arcam FMJ today and it has a nice feature re lights. It can be configured so that the lights automatically all turn off untill you press a button either on the face or remote. I find This feature real usefull since I don't like the lights on all the time but like to leave the power on always. Fig it will save the LEDs down the stretch.
                                  Steve

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by energeezer
                                    which can be done with the 1055 but I forget how. Please someone remind me. I know you have to hold one of the remote buttons down.

press and hold the "menu" button for 3 sec.

page 14 of the manual under the "MENU button" paragraph

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                                    - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Glenn
                                      • Jun 2003

Sayer

Doah! :roll:

Comment

• SayersWeb
                                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Glenn
                                        Sayer

Doah! :roll:
                                        LOL! :LOL:

Comment

• dali
                                          • Jul 2002

I wouldn't want to add $30 and get some rather useless light around the volume knob.

A lot of blinking, twirling, spinning lights are an excellent indicator of a crappy product. Just look at the cheapest stereos on the market ...

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"