X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shrubman
    • Feb 2005

Starting with 2-channel only, PC as Source

Hi folks,

It's sometimes hard to come up with a meaningful title so thanks to anyone who's come this far. I just joined the forum, so please forgive me if my search didn't turn up a previous answer to my inquiry.

I'm trying to build a new audio setup which will use my PC (with an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT soundcard) as the main source. I have been reading various audio forums for months, usually under the assumption I would buy an A/V receiver. My budget is low, however, so I don't plan on a full HT anytime in the near future. I'm mainly interested in a 2-channel or 2.1 setup with which I can grow when my budget allows.

With that in mind, I've considered the possibility of going direct from PC to power amp. When I began to research that option, the prices turned me right back around. I couldn't seem to justify NOT getting a receiver since the bang for the buck seemed so much higher.

I'm on the fence again now, though. While receiver specs continue to get shuffled around with all the new a/v technologies, some clean amp power should never become obsolete. Plus, my glances at some used Rotel equipment on eBay seemed to prove that good equipment is in reach.

What would you do? Which Rotel products would you recommend?

BTW, my speakers are corruntly some old Boston A60s, but I'm planning on going with Ascends ASAP.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

The RMB-1075 power amp is a wonderful building block. I personally think this is an underpriced piece when new, even compared to Rotels own gear. I have owned mine for a little over a year and without regret. Being 5 channel it lends itself to bi-amping with capable speakers. It held it's own quite nicely for 2 channel until I needed a 2nd for 7.1

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

I have Rotel RX-1052 Stereo Receiver. Has great looks and great performance for dedicated stereo 2 channel. I definitely suggest that, it sells for about US 900 but I got it for 810 new, in a privated sale at Myer Emco. Alternatively, Yamaha 777 is a good cheaper stereo receiver.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"