Bel Canto Pre2 preamp for stereo upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Mayer
    • Mar 2006

Bel Canto Pre2 preamp for stereo upgrade?

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any collective wisdom on the Bel Canto Pre2 stereo preamp as a significant upgrade over my Onkyo 797 receiver. I'm using the onkyo's preout's into a Parasound a51 amplifier. I feel that for movies the onkyo is fine but for stereo it is lacking. I listen to at least 90% music and am looking for a big 2channel upgrade but still want to have surround in the system. Anyone have personal experience with the Bel Canto? Pros/cons? Any other ideas?
    Thank you.
    Jeff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

A friend of mine who accasionally visits and posts here has the Bel Canto Evo 2i, which incorporates a slightly cut down version of the Pre 2's circuits...

An amazing pre-amp high quality and very valve like.. The Onkyo is quite limited as a stereo pre-amp. I think you will be shocked at how much better the Pre 2 sounds...

Geoff

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
      • Mar 2006

Geoff,

Thank you for your input. Good to hear! I am curious about your comment that the Pre2 has valve like qualities. I also heard the Pre2 is very neutral. I am leaning to this piece but I would like to hear as many ideas about it and/or other possibilities. The Bel Canto doesn't seem to be talked much about...
      Jeff

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I use a Bel Canto Pre6 which has, more or less (but mostly more), the circuitry of the Pre2 and I use it for both stereo and MCH. Excellent, clean and neutral. Tube-like? Not to me but less colored than that would imply.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
          • Mar 2006

Thanks Kal. Wow...I must say that I'm surprised to have gotten a response from a Stereophile editor. Cool! It sounds like (from what I've read) the Pre2 and Pre6 are very close in sonics if not identical..but I am wondering if the Pre2 has any advantage at all.. Kal - just one question for fun - I know this is subjective but if you had to name even the slightest sonic weakness of the Pre6, what would it be?
          Just a funny side note: I mentioned to my father about Mr. Rubinson's response to my thread and he said ask Mr. Rubinson about the Dynaco ST-70 because as my father put it "He'll tell you to buy one of these and save a bundle of dough." My father bought one a long time ago for 50 bucks and never looked back. He's only 57! Whatever floats your boat, right.
          Jeff

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
            • Mar 2006

I should amend my last post. I have listened to the Dynaco St-70 many, many times and have found it quite enjoyable and musical. The midrange is incredible, sweet, dynamic, and just has a lot of presence. My halo amp can't quite match it. Bass of course is another matter. Anyway I didn't mean to slight the Dynaco at all. In fact, it's impossible to argue with my father about it's sound and value. Just wish he'd get rid of those Dynaco speakers. The tube sound has me intrigued. Might it offer a little magic on the preamp end??
            Jeff

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Mayer
              Thanks Kal. Wow...I must say that I'm surprised to have gotten a response from a Stereophile editor. Cool! It sounds like (from what I've read) the Pre2 and Pre6 are very close in sonics if not identical..but I am wondering if the Pre2 has any advantage at all.. Kal - just one question for fun - I know this is subjective but if you had to name even the slightest sonic weakness of the Pre6, what would it be?
              Like most BC components, there's a very slightly overdamped quality to the treble. Most noticeable in the older eVo amps, less so in the newer ones and very little in the Pre6/Pl-1A.
              Just a funny side note: I mentioned to my father about Mr. Rubinson's response to my thread and he said ask Mr. Rubinson about the Dynaco ST-70 because as my father put it "He'll tell you to buy one of these and save a bundle of dough." My father bought one a long time ago for 50 bucks and never looked back. He's only 57! Whatever floats your boat, right.
              Jeff
              Sorry to disappoint but the time of the un-modded ST70 has passed. Was a great amp in its time but I've divested myself of the 3-4 I once had. One I tossed from a 4th story window into a dumpster! It was fun but I regret that only for the destruction of a fungible asset.

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
                • Mar 2006

Thanks for the input Kal. I'll tell my father to get the thing modded. Fat chance.
                The Bel Canto's continue dropping in price on Audiogon. Sounds like an incredible unit for the money. Well this doesn't appear to be a popular topic so I won't ask too many more questions.
                Anyone hear the Audiopax Model 5?
                Thanks
                Jeff

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
                  • Mar 2006

Well I have the Bel Canto Pre2. I find the output stage a bit noisy through RCA running into my Parasound amp (Model A51). Perhaps the amp's inputs are a little to sensitive for the Bel Canto. Does anyone know if the Bel Canto's balanced output is quieter than its RCA? Any other advantages to XLR connectors? Don't have XLR cables at the moment..

Jeff

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Dunno. I've only used the XLRs on the Pre6. They are dead quiet.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
                      • Mar 2006

Kal - What kind of amp are you using with your Pre6?
                      I ordered a pair of XLR cables so I'll find out soon enough.

Jeff

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Kal - What kind of amp are you using with your Pre6?
                        I ordered a pair of XLR cables so I'll find out soon enough.
                        Jeff
                        Currently, Classe C3200 and BelCanto eVo and Ref 1000s. Have used many others with it, too.

Kal
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
                          • Mar 2006

Currently, Classe C3200 and BelCanto eVo and Ref 1000s. Have used many others with it, too.
                          Kal
                          The Ref 1000's look fascinating. Amazing how small and light they are and how highly regarded they have become. I'd like to hear a couple of those. How does the C3200 stack up againt the Ref 1000s?
                          Well I received the XLR's today and my initial reaction is positive. Haven't had much time to listen though.
                          Jeff

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
                            • Mar 2006

Oh yeah, Kal, did you bother upgrading the stock Pre6 power cord? I imagine you have, the question is with what? Thanx

Jeff

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Oh yeah, Kal, did you bother upgrading the stock Pre6 power cord? I imagine you have, the question is with what? Thanx
                              Jeff
                              Yes but with what I had laying about so I cannot say that it was 'selected' for the purpose.

Kal
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"