X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickster1972
    • Feb 2005

Onkyo as preprocessor vs. Rotel 1068?

I just ordered myself a Rotel RMB-1075 and can hardly wait to integrate it into my setup. I am using an Onkyo THX receiver TXNR-900 and I'm wondering what the benefits would be to swap out the Onkyo someday for a Rotel 1068 or 1098. Anyone else done this and can tell me the sonic differences and or feature-set differences?

Thanks!
    "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Hi,
    I was using an Onkyo 787 as a processor with Rotel power amps. I replaced the Onkyo with an RSP-1098. See here for my thoughts.
    One other thing I didn't mention in that post is the huge increase in surround information produced by the RSP-1098 when compared to the Onkyo. The RSP-1068 will be very similar in sound quality to the 1098.

cheers,
    Stephen
    My Home Theatre

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree with Stephen, the Rotel is much more dynamic than the Onkyo. My friend has an Onkyo on the same speakers as my Rotel, and my Rotel (1098-1095) sound soooo much better. Especially with 2ch music, it's a huge soundstage difference. I think the Onkyo does well but the Rotel is definitely in a different league (and really should be for the price difference).
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• mickster1972
        • Feb 2005

Whmacs,

Thanks for your response. I had seen your thread which led me to consider a new Rotel preprocessor in the first place. I guess I was wondering how similar your Onkyo 787 electronics are to those used in mine? Do you recall what DACs, or speed of DACs, it had? I could not find any information regarding the 787 on the Onkyo website, or by doing a google search. My TXNR900 uses (6) 192kHz-24-bit DACS and (2) 96kHz-24-bit DACs, according to the literature. I'm sure there are other things to consider, but I thought I'd start with the processor speed and then just go audition one against mine if the Rotel is significantly better on paper. Thanks.
        "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• whmacs
          • Oct 2003

Hi mickster1972,
          I can't remember what DAC's where used, but here is a link to the 787 manual. The 787 is a generation or two behind the NR900 series. If I had to summerise the main differences between the 787 and 1098 they would be:
          1. Clarity of sound
          2. Rear effects
          3. Musical ability

cheers,
          Stephen
          My Home Theatre

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"