X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

RSP 1068 eprom upgrade Problem

I am having a hard time getting the latest eprom upgrade done using the Rotel flash up software. I download and unzip the eprom file from the Rotel web site, install the flash up program and use romupdate4.bin file, it keep getting me an error "device not response, check comm. port". I called Rotel tech support, they told me to reboot the RSP1068, but it still dont work. I used the same pc and com port and successfully get the firmware upgrade this morning. I am pretty sure is not my com cable nor my PC setup. Anyone out there have any clues? Also, after the firmware upgrade, there is a new option to key in the default password before you could save your config file, the default password is "0000" which is not documented in the Rotel instruction. I try to called Rotel again, but just got their voice mail. So far, I am not too impress with the Rotel tech. support, but I will try again. Appreciate anyone out who had successfully ugraded the RSP1068 eprom software can give me some help!! Thanks!!
  • Raphie
    • Nov 2004

Is your 1068 "ON" IE Playing? it needs to be "ON" in order to be recognized by the PC. also note that when you see the code, your ROM upgrade was succesful. So is your question about the rom or flash update?

Comment

• wywong
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Raphie
      Is your 1068 "ON" IE Playing? it needs to be "ON" in order to be recognized by the PC. also note that when you see the code, your ROM upgrade was succesful. So is your question about the rom or flash update?
      I was able to do flash update with no problem. The eprom update is what I cant seems to do. The RSP1068 was switch on (back switch was on), and also playing (i.e. it is in normal playing mode) and I even try it with standby mode. It does make any difference at all, still the same error. I am giving up now as I do not need the 7 channel stereo mode.

Comment

• Raphie
        • Nov 2004

If you used the cable that came with the 1068 and you had the 1068 ON AND didn't touch the dip switches, then the only thing i can imagine is that you selected the wrong COM port in the flash program (you can either choose com1, com2, com3, or com4 dpending on how many coms are in your PC)

Comment

• wywong
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Raphie
          If you used the cable that came with the 1068 and you had the 1068 ON AND didn't touch the dip switches, then the only thing i can imagine is that you selected the wrong COM port in the flash program (you can either choose com1, com2, com3, or com4 dpending on how many coms are in your PC)
          It is not the probelm with the com port. I used com4 which is exactly what Windows XP said I have, I used the 1068 cable and an USB to DB9 cable on the PC side. I was able to update the firmware with the same PC using com4 and the MTTY program without any problem.If you have done it successfully, could u tell me how u unzip the file, use what folder to install the flashup program. I have the 1068 was power up and in play mode(not standby mode) with the dip switch set to off (up position, never touch the dip switch). Any more clue?

Comment

• Raphie
            • Nov 2004

Just to make sure thaqt i understand, your Rotel cable is RJ45 > DB9, this cable is connected with an db9 > USB converter on the USB port of the PC?

1. For MTTY you need to pull both dipswitches, turn the ystem unit on with the back button and your MTTY program should display the Firmware remote menu. (seemed that you managed to do this)

2. For Flashup, just unzip to any dir, run the install, configure with addresses with the instructions, leave the dipswitches in normal operating mode and just load away.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Raphie, yes and yes to you're questions. I too am experiencing the same as wywong. Using XP home edition, belkin usb to 232 convertor. I have used a couple of different flash utilities with the same configuration in the past and it worked fine. I had backed off on the firmware version and tried that, no go. When I get home from work this morning I may try a different utility to see if one may work. I had noticed when backing off on th code revision it had said rom4 in one of the strings, could we be there allready? Raphie, can you get it to connect now that you are @ rom4? This would confirm or deny that assumption.

Comment

• Raphie
                • Nov 2004

Yes i can still connect (but i am using a "real" comport) which got me thinking some USB converter convert into a "Null Modem" port ths means that your cable is wired to the PC as a cross serial cable. "nd bugger might be that MTTY needs a dedicated interupt assigned to your serial port (no shared interupt as with USB) this might explain the fluctuations in your connections. So please see if you can assign a hardware interupt to your USB port, or find a PC with a "real" Serial DB9 port on it.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

when you say you use the romupdate4.bin file is that to say you've also installed 1,2 and 3 before 4?

Comment

• wywong
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                    when you say you use the romupdate4.bin file is that to say you've also installed 1,2 and 3 before 4?
                    Andrew, for RSP1068, the eprom zip file only have romupdate4.bin, only the RSP 1098 have the other 3 files. That is what Ritel support told me. Alslo, I have no issue using MTTY with the USB-db9 cable. I only ran into problem with eprom upgrade using the flashup software.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

It's certainly conceivable that a widespread terminal program like MTTY wouldn't have a problem with a USB-9pin, but a limited distribution flashrom program would.

I would try a different adapter or someone with a built in port.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Don
                        • Feb 2003

When I was doing the flash update, I followed the instructions and one thing that was not documented was when it say "Turn the unit on" it means turn the switch at the back then on the front. When I turned the switch at the back only I got nowhere, I tried it again and this time turned both switches on, and it worked.

When doing the software upgrade you only need to turn the switch on at the back. Also reset the unit when done with the upgrade for the changes to take effect.

Just for reference my unit is the RSX-1056. Hope this helps.

Don

Comment

• soundhound
                          • Mar 2004

Andrew, I was referencing a different device I had dealt with in the past which was "flashable" and with a few different utilities I was able to connect and was off to the races. I have not done anything with Rotel's in the past.
                          I have an old ctx laptop somewhere, when I find it I will try the 232 port on it. Thanks guys.

Comment

• soundhound
                            • Mar 2004

I think ya nailed it Raphie, I rounded up my ctx ,windows 95, 166 mmx, rs232 ports, away she went. I knew there was a reason I didn't sell it at a garage sale or throw it away, Thanks, Bob

Comment

• wywong
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                              I think ya nailed it Raphie, I rounded up my ctx ,windows 95, 166 mmx, rs232 ports, away she went. I knew there was a reason I didn't sell it at a garage sale or throw it away, Thanks, Bob
                              Hi, are you saying that you use an old laptop with a build in comm port (com 1) and successfully upgrade the eprom. do you have RSP1068 or 1098. Is the unit need to be power up in play mode to do the update, also do u just need to use the romupdate4.bin file. Thanks!

Comment

• Raphie
                                • Nov 2004

I knew a 18 year IT background should pay of sometime, good to hear that it solved your problem

Comment

• soundhound
                                  • Mar 2004

wywong, correct. I suspect our problems were one in the same. I have a 1068. And the usb to 232 converter was the problem as Raphie explained.

Comment

• wywong
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                                    wywong, correct. I suspect our problems were one in the same. I have a 1068. And the usb to 232 converter was the problem as Raphie explained.
                                    Hi thanks for your info. I upgraded the 1.2.1 software already, do u know will it cause a problem to do the eprom upgrade after the 1.2.1 software upgrade. I will try to bring the 1068 to a PC with a build in com port. Thanks again!!

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

Mine appears to be working fine and I did it in the same sequence.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"