X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcajiga
    • Aug 2003

Upgraded EPROM and 2.11...now 1098 don't startup

Hi all, I upgraded the EPROM with the flash program and then installed the v2.11 following all the instructions very carefully. After putting back the DIP switches to OFF and turning ON the 1098, the power blue light turns on but the TFT screen does nothing. I try to turn it ON with the remote with no luck. I tried to reload the EPROM FLash upgrade again but there is no communication since the 1098 does not turn on

Does anyone have an idea what I may try?

Suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
    Regards,
    Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

• Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Mine would sort of work like yours did, click like it was on but do nothing. I had to toggle the rear power switch to get it to work.. Might try that, then unpluging the power for 5 minutes, and the reload the 2.1.1 lastly.. Hopefully it will come up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lcajiga
      • Aug 2003

Thanks Kevin for the reponse. I tried it but it doen't come up. It is like if something went wrong with installation. It power ON but do not start. The TFT is OFF. Then I continue trying to turn it ON with the remote and sometimes the Zone 2 light turns on and in a couple of times the TFT turned on but everything was white. :cry:

Regards,
      Luis

Regards,
      Luis

Comment

• jfinneru
        • Nov 2003

offcourse you read the part saying that the dipswitches should stay off during eprom upgrading, and on during software upgrade?

I have also heard of people having problems when using a pc with older os (windows 95 )
        take a look at this thread

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
        brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum

Comment

• lcajiga
          • Aug 2003

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are right Joer. I re-installed the version 2.1.1 using another computer with Windows NT (mine was Windows 2000). Fisrt at all, the installation time was reduced from more than 20 minutes to less than 5 and after finished, the 1098 started as always. BTW, the new software is AMAZING!.

Just after I did that, I received a message from Rotel (excellent Customer Service) saying this:

Did you try reinstalling the 2.1.1 software again? In my experience occasionally the software upgrade doesn't take the first time but simply repeating the procedure (just the software not the EPROM) will resolve the issue. Alternatively, sometimes just using a different PC also yields results in many cases. I would try reloading the software as a first step to troubleshoot this.
          At this point in time I'm not pretty sure if what resolved the issue was re-installing the software or switching computers and operating systems. For the people that haven't done it, if the installation fails with one computer/OS, please try with another one with another OS preferably. It worked for me.

Thanks again guys.

Regards,
          Luis

Regards,
          Luis

Comment

• lcajiga
            • Aug 2003

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are right Joer. I re-installed the version 2.1.1 using another computer with Windows NT (mine was Windows 2000). Fisrt at all, the installation time was reduced from more than 20 minutes to less than 5 and after finished, the 1098 started as always. BTW, the new software is AMAZING!.

Just after I did that, I received a message from Rotel (excellent Customer Service) saying this:

Did you try reinstalling the 2.1.1 software again? In my experience occasionally the software upgrade doesn't take the first time but simply repeating the procedure (just the software not the EPROM) will resolve the issue. Alternatively, sometimes just using a different PC also yields results in many cases. I would try reloading the software as a first step to troubleshoot this.
            At this point in time I'm not pretty sure if what resolved the issue was re-installing the software or switching computers and operating systems. For the people that haven't done it, if the installation fails with one computer/OS, please try with another one with another OS preferably. It worked for me.

Thanks again guys.

Regards,
            Luis

Regards,
            Luis

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Good to hear you got it going again.

Comment

• Zzap
                • Sep 2003

My 1098 is down for the count.

I've previously upgraded to v1.1.6 on my Win2k without problems.

I upgraded to EPROM version 2 with no issues (except for the fact that I was ready to download the next file before the 1098 had digested the last and thus had to retry before being allowed to continue).
                As instructed I did not flick the switches ON at the back of the 1098 for the EPROM upgrade.

Having upgraded the EPROM I set both switches to ON and turned on the 1098.
                I was able to start the software upgrade as normal but on the first row of dots I started getting "Write Fails":

Download Setup

Cautious! Do not enter any key not requested
                >> Manufacture Code = 0x7f
                >> Device code = 0x7f
                >> Will you download new program?(select number)
                1. Yes 2. No 3. Direct program(No Erase operation)
                >> locking...
                >> Erasing memory... Wait a minute
                >> Erasing completed except for boot area.
                >> Select download binary file
                .................................................. ..............0x00fd0000 = 0xf
                f
                >> Write Fail, Try again.
                fail address = 0x00017fec0x00fd0001 = 0xff
                fail address = 0x00017fec0x00fd0002 = 0xff

etc

I shut the unit down fully, powered it back on and tried again.
                I tried several times with different results.

The nearest I got was 3 lines of dots before getting errors:
                ... 0x00ff8000 = 0xf
                f
                fail address = 0x00017fec0x00ff8001 = 0xff
                fail address = 0x00017fec0x00ff8002 = 0xff

etc

At first I thought it might be my Win2k, so I tried a colleagues WinXP but with the same result.

Setting the switches to OFF to see if I can flash the EPROM again is not an option since the unit will not turn on with the switches set to OFF (there is no software to run).

It looks to me like a hardware failure.
                /John

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Zzap,

I'd call Rotel's technical support in Europe or the USA ASAP with the text of the error etc they should be able to tell you what is going wrong.

PS - I am not sure what you are saying about not being able to redo the EEPROM load - this should work with or without the firmware being right. You should be able to turn off the RSP-1098, put the switches ON, plug the cable in, Start the EEPROM program, turn on the RSP-1098 and re-run the EPROM load (very slowly waiting for each step to finish). Have you tried this?

PPS - I recall one old post on another forum re the 1.1.6 upgrade where the problem sounded similar to yours and turned out to be wrong settings on the Hyperteminal program (VT100 emulation, parity, stop bits, flow control etc - I forget which) - So it could be worth having someone else check the instructions they don't print well and there are several dialog boxes where you have to change these settings. From memory the one of the person's problem wasn't even in the settings in the Rotel text it was a different default setting on that PC - so you need to check the screen shots and match them screen for screen in terms of what is set, checked, blanked out etc.

Good luck. I hope one of these ideas help

Geoff

Comment

• Zzap
                    • Sep 2003

Good news everyone!
                    (and for the Futurama fans out there, this actually IS good news )

MY 1098 HAS ACCEPTED THE DOWNLOAD AND IS PURRING AGAIN!

EPROM re-load: I wasn't aware of the fact that I could download a new EPROM regardless of the state a 1098 is in. In the end I didn't need this option but it's good to know should the need come up

Another post suggesting that v1.1.6 might (or might not) work with a v2 EPROM got me thinking that since I'd previously downloaded v1.1.6 with success I might pull it off once more.

My colleague (the one with WinXP installed) stated that he did not have the standard HyperTerminal version installed but rather the one that was available for download so I decided to install that version before proceeding.

That done, I figured that I'd give v2.1.1 a go first - at the worst I would have lost a few minutes of my life staring at some dots - I could have done worse (not much but... ) AND HEY PRESTO! - the download was successful!

Whether this can be attributed to me holding my breath during the entire download or the new HyperTerminal I'm not sure but here's an URL for "HyperTerminal Private Edition" in case it's because of the latter:
                    HyperTerminal for Windows, including 7, 8, 10, and 11 is our award winning Windows terminal emulation software. Supports telnet and SSH in addition to modems and serial port connections.

(one of the improvements highlighted is "Fully compatible with Windows 2000")

I'm still going to call Rotel's technical support to find out if the "Write fail" message indicates dodgy hardware.
                    Perhaps one of you guys could help me out here (having better connections to the source than me ) ?
                    /John

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

That is wonderful news, I'm sure that made your day .

Hopefully that may help resolve some of the other forum members who have had this issues with the install.

Congratulations,

Azeke

Comment

• Zzap
                        • Sep 2003

Are you kidding??

I'm sure I was looking at a fortnight without ANY music nor HT - the shock - the horror!

[ WARNING: COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC ]

To celebrate I'll share the following link that I got today...
                        (mild nudity - but in an arty kind of way!)

Stereo images "Time for Space Wiggle":

He gets a nice 3D effect by rapidly switching between two only-slightly different images. Pretty cool.

[ ON-TOPIC ]

Seriously, I was ecstatic to put it mildly!
                        /John

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Yes, I definitely understand. When I performed the upgrades, I had two computers with two different Opertaining Systems, just to be sure I didn't experience any downtime 8) .

Just a quick note. After the installation was completed, I performed the speaker calibration, with some minor changes to the original configuration.

You'll enjoy DoProIIx.

Have fun,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"