X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 201jamesg
    • Feb 2005

1056 & 1072 - new user questions

Hi all. I'm new to Rotel, and the Club. Putting new a/v system together. Comparing Yamaha 2500 to Denon 3805 until salesman suggested adding 1056 to the mix. Even wife heard the difference, so we went for it. Then I discovered the "popping/hissing" threads. Does anyone know how many units are affected? For the difference in sound quality, I guess I'll just keep fingers crossed that I don't have a problem, or that Rotel gets it fixed.

Looking next for source component. Didn't care about DVD-A or SACD, just great Redbook CD, great video (but with an eye to HD/Blu-Ray in a few years), and wife wanted a changer, if we could. Looking at Denon 3910 or Sony NC-555ES, but decided to go for 1072 as dedicated CD, with Panasonic S-97 for "interim" DVD and Sony CD-375 as inexpensive changer for wife.

Question on the 1072 though. I've read comments saying that it's great for jazz & classical, but not great (too "bright"(?)) for rock. I gotta admit, when I listened at the store, I left Crosby, Stills, etc., etc. at home. I am not a "music snob" however. I like it all, and I won't be happy if Miles and Bernstein sound great, while Mick sounds, well . . . less great. Is it really an either/or? Is there any "reasonable" modification to make it work for all styles?

In case it matters, I'll be playing through Paradigm Studio 40s v.3 in front, OnWall Mini Monitors in the rear, CC-370 center and Seismic 12 as the Sub (as you might guess, some of these choices were based on available space and wife's room design, but, as they say, "happy wife, happy life").

Anyway, glad to hear what anyone has to say, and happy to (soon) be part of the Club.
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

I have rcd-1072. Recently, i have added Muscial Fidelity Tube Buffer X-10 V3 to my system. Now , the sound is awesome, wider soundstage . Rock music is not so bright.

Note that it also depends on the type of speakers, room acoustic, ..etc... If you have any dealer who carries Musical Fidelity near you, try to listen to the combo and decide for yourself. I heard that Music Hall CD-25 and Cambridge Audio 640C are also good , but i've never heard of them by myself.

Good luck.

Comment

• 201jamesg
      • Feb 2005

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you don't hear the pops when your receiver is hot you're likely fine.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"