X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claw
    • Apr 2005

RSX-1056 vs RSP-1098+RB-1080+RMB-1075?

Hiyas everyone.

I found this place about a month ago but I've just been lurking. Finally decided to unmask myself and ask a few questions.. hopefully not too stupid I'll get laughed at.

I recently purchased a RDV-1040 DVD player to go along with my new TV, a Toshiba 34HFX84 HD Widescreen set. I guess it was an impulse purchase, but wow.. does the picture ever look better than with my previous Panasonic DVD player.. maybe it was all in my head trying to justify the money I just spent on the new DVD player.

Anyways, that got my buzz going on prosumer electronic gear and I ran into this forum through Google...

The rest of my gear consist of B&W DM604s2 mains, LCR60 centre channel, and DefTech ProMonitor 200 rears. No subwoofer yet as I live in a townhouse and thus I don't really feel I need one. I've been thinking of upgrading my Yamaha RXV-596 receiver to the much-talked-about Rotel RSX-1056. Other inputs include a PS2, Xbox, iPod, and an old Sony 5-disc CD-changer. I also occasionally use the Rotel DVD player for stereo.

My questions... would the 1056 suit my needs? I listen to music in the living room about 50%, HT about 30%, and the other 20% spent with CD's in the changer while I wander about the house. I've also seen other people's pages (like Andrew Pratt, Bing, etc) that have pre-amps, power amps, etc.. what's the difference (besides cost) of going with an all-in-one unit like the 1056 versus say, a 1080 2-channel amp, a 1075 5-channel amp, and 1098 pre-amp? And what would I expect to spend if I were to go that route as opposed to a single 1056? Will it allow for future expansion should I build a house somewhere and add speakers in another room?

Lastly, what's a "trigger" in terms of "3 12 volt trigger?"

Much thanks in advance for any answers and patience.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

The 1056 is an excellent piece of gear that probably could fill your needs. The main thing to be gained by going to "separates" is flexability. For example with either at 1068 or 1098 processor you can choose a 1075 5 channel amp at 120wpc or the 1095 at 200, then add the 1070 for two more 130 wpc channels or the 1080 for 2 200 wpc or the 1090 for two 300 wpc...or mix and match with any Rotel amp or any other brand amp. Receivers generally yeild lower quality sound because compromises a manufacturer needs to be make in their design in order to fit everything onto one chasis. The difference is slight, however.

Separates are not for everyone especially if you don't want to deal with the additional complexity or cost.

"Triggers" are 3-12v signals that are used to operate relays in slave gear ( such as an amp, DVD player, etc) to turn it on when the main piece of gear, receiver or processor, is turned on.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Elvis
      • Jan 2005

The 1056 is a great avr,you can however expect a very nice improvement in music w/the 1068 and external amps.The 1056 pre and 1068 pre may have alot in common but 2ch reproduction is not one of them,the 1068 is clearly better and I own both.

Comment

• ds22030
        • Sep 2004

Elvis,
        Can you elaborate on your comment re the 2 ch reproduction between 1068 and 1056? I was told that they have the same preamp sections so the distinctions in sound is the result of noise generated by the tuner and/or the amp sections. Your post seems to indicate that there is more of a difference than merely a slight noiser floor..... thanks
        Daniel

Comment

• scient
          • Feb 2005

I would suggest you listen to both the 1068 and the 1056. If you don't feel there is a big enough difference, you could go with the 1056 and always add on the 1075 for more power (if you need it, of course). I have the 1056 right now and love it. Will probably get a RB1080 in future as my fronts could use the extra power.

Comment

• Elvis
            • Jan 2005

Well,just to elaborate on the sonic difference of the 1056/1068,the 1056 sounds very nice in 2ch compared to just about any avr in the price range.The 1068 takes the music to another level of enjoyment,its more dynamic,the highs are cleaner and it just sounds better than the 1056 pre.I've had these two units hooked to the same amps and there is no suttle difference,its about as big as the price difference.I wish the 1056 sounded the same as the 1068,I'd be the first one to say so.That said if you only have $1200 you won't beat the 1056,if you got $2500 get the 1068/amps.I also want to say I don't have golden ears,the best way to sum it up is,the 1056 sounds great,wow the 1068 sounds really great.The best advise is as mentioned,to listen to both,but I could only make a good evaluation by having them in my house for critical listening.

Comment

• ds22030
              • Sep 2004

Thanks for the insight

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"