After applying upgrade, 1066 seems dead!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron Reda
    • Jan 2003

After applying upgrade, 1066 seems dead!!!

I just completed the newest upgrade, flipped the switches back to the "off" position and attempted to power on the 1066...the blue light does not come on and the display is not lit. It appears as though it's dead! I'm really freaking out so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! The only thing I did differently this time than last time was that this time, I did not turn my amps off when doing the upgrade, but everything else in my system was turned off. Could that have something to do with it, perhaps there was a surge from the amps or something??? :cry:
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Hi Ron,

Don't know if this helps, but did you have the Rotel on standby or completely off. It has to be turned off.

Have you tried to repeat the process with the power amp off?

Those are the two things I can think of right now. Anyone else?

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I've had this happen before and couldn't explain what went wrong. Just try it again and make sure you do it step by step and that it power's off properly. If it still doesnt' work try it again and it should eventually work for you....I've had to do it a couple of times before before it finally caught.

Comment

• Ron Reda
        • Jan 2003

Hmm, I usually leave it on all the time, so I pushed the power button completely in and it turned off (no blue light on). This is the same as what I did with the last release.

Yes, I tried to repeat the process with all of the amps turned off, but to no avail. Right now, I'm pretty distraught, so I'm trying anything and everything. I even unplugged it and tried it in another AC outlet to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I'm gonna try to load the previous software upgrade back on it to see if that might help. Anyone else???

Comment

• Ron Reda
          • Jan 2003

make sure you do it step by step
          Oh believe me, I did! I also tried it several times, but again nothing worked. Oh how I want to return to several hours ago when I was listening to John Coltrane's "Soultrane" on SACD through my new (and inexpensive = $180) universal Pioneer DV-563!!!

Andrew,

The fact that this has happened to you before gives me hope! Also, after reading what's going on with the DD EX auto decoding (or lack thereof), I'm almost wishing that I never kicked off the new software...

Comment

• Ron Reda
            • Jan 2003

Still trying, but no luck...

I'm using my buddy's PC that's running Windows '95...are there more optimum settings that I should be using vs. what the technical specs have laid out?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Ron about the only thing I can suggest at this point is to take a break from it and come back to it in a bit. Since this is the next day that's likely already occured..unless you spent all night trying it Some of the issues I've seen with firmware's not taking were due to the dip switches not being all the way up or down, power not fully going off (unplug it to be sure), bad cable and more often then not user error. There's also a chance I guess that you used the wrong firmware for that machine...is yours a version onr or two model?

Comment

• Ron Reda
                • Jan 2003

Andrew,

First off, thanks for your assistance in trying to help me troubleshoot this issue. I've calmed down a bit from last night, but I'm still pretty distraught by this.

Anyway, it seems like I spent all night trying! I believe I gave up after 10 attempts to bring it back to life. I guess it won't hurt anything to try a few more times today though.

There's also a chance I guess that you used the wrong firmware for that machine...is yours a version onr or two model?
                Mine's a version 2 model. I just checked to verify that I'm using the correctly numbered upgrade and I am.

power not fully going off (unplug it to be sure), bad cable...
                As far as the cable goes, it appears to be working as I got all the way through the process and received a check sum. However, like I said previously, I have the unit powered on all the time, so perhaps even after I thought I turned it off, minimal (standby) power was still going to it. I guess I'll give it another shot, this time unplugging the unit prior to the upgrade. I may also try using a different PC.

To be continued...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Keep us posted!

Comment

• drobert6
                    • Feb 2003

Ron,

It sounds like the file is being tranferred properly, but the 1066 doesn't like the file format. You might try checking your settings against Andrew's update doc:

Steps 11 and 12 need to match exactly. I had a similar problem when an ASCII receive setting was set incorrectly.

Good Luck,

Don

Comment

• Ron Reda
                      • Jan 2003

drobert6,

It sounds like the file is being tranferred properly, but the 1066 doesn't like the file format.
                      I agree, but it's still not taking. I've been following Andrew's update doc to a "t" all along and even did what I alluded to earlier (unplugging the unit prior to the upgrade), but that didn't work either. The only thing I have yet to try is another PC. Argh, this is so frustrating! In the meantime, I contacted my dealer here in GA and he is going to contact Rotel tomorrow to see what they can do. I'm not sure what else I can do on my side. :?

Comment

• greggz
                        • Jun 2002

Have you tried flashing back to the previous version just to see whether or not your 1066 is truly dead or just doesnt like the newest firmware?

Gregg
                        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Ron Reda
                          • Jan 2003

Have you tried flashing back to the previous version just to see whether or not your 1066 is truly dead or just doesnt like the newest firmware?
                          greggz,

I sure did. I tried reverting back to the 2.25 version that I still had housed on my hard drive, but no such luck.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I haven't heard of problems with PC's on the Rotel but back when I had a Sony TA-E9000ES doing the firmware upgrades on that was similar and the Sony machines hated Compac (understandable :LOL: ) so I guess it could be an issue.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                              • Jan 2003

It looks like it may have to wait until tomorrow when I can get access to another PC. Hopefully, I'll hear back from my dealer as well in case the PC thing doesn't work out.

Comment

• MuShu007
                                • Jun 2002

This happened to me after flashing version 2.26, I just turned the power off then back on and after a "couple" of seconds it turned back on!
                                It seems to be working fine now....

MIKE

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                  • Jan 2003

MY 1066 IS ALIVE!!! arty:

Sorry I didn't post this last night, but I was so stoked that it was working, I played tunes into the wee morning!

Anyway, apparently this was a PC/platform compatibility issue. A buddy of mine came over with his laptop running Windows 2000 and the update worked on the first try. So, everyone make a note that it appears that the 1066 does not like updates done on a PC running Windows 95. And thanks again to all of the people on this thread that assisted me in troubleshooting this problem. Y'all kick butt!!! :amen:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Great news!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

I was wondering if it had something to do with Windows95. Man, you gotta be relieved big time!!!

Keith
                                      Keith

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                        • Jul 2003

Well man good for you...

you scared the Sh** out of me, I didn't want to do the upgrade because of what happened to you!!...but now...

I guess your next upgrade will be a new computer!!! :LOL:

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                                        -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                                        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                          • Jan 2003

Danbry39,

Y'all have no idea how relieved I am! I think my wife is relieved too as I haven't shut up about this whole thing since it happened! :B

Freak,

I guess your next upgrade will be a new computer!!!
                                          Well, it's one of those things where, whenever there's a new update out there, I have to borrow a buddy's laptop, so I guess I need to limit that search to those running Windows 2K!

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"