X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liberec
    • Jul 2004

1056, 1066 or 1067 For New System?

Hello,

Here's my situation that I'd like anyone's thoughts on. I want to put together a home theater system (from scratch as I sold all my 2 channel geat), but as I'm in the middle of moving from Chicago to NY, I've decided to build what I want in steps.

So here's where I am at. My wife likes the looks of the Magenpan MC1s (wall hanging small panels), so I've purchased a single pair. Most likely, I'll add a velodyne sub and I'll stop with the speakers there for now. The question I'd like to raise has to do with amplification/processor. I've decided on Rotel and seem to have 3 options:
    • 1056 Receiver New
    • 1067 Receiver Used
    • 1066 Processor and 2 Channel Amp

I realize the 1066 processor isn't 'state of the art', but it fits my $1500 price range with a 2 channel amp.

Has anyone compared the 1067 and 1056? From what I've read, they have a very similar sound as a pre to the 1066 and newer processor.

Ultimately, I will be using whatever I purchase as a pre only (I'd assume) and add additional amplifiers (probably mono-blocks) for at least the mains once I get the rest of the channels. Because my wife is fairly conservative when it comes to stereo spending, I think I found a product line I can live with and build off of for years to come.

I welcome any and all advice as to my situation.

Cheers.
    Alan
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Theres nothing wrong with not being "state of the art". Hell it's very difficult to stay "state of the art" in todays market unless you continue to upgrade every 6 months.

The rsp1066 is a killer preamp. If your using external amps then I see no reason to buy a receiver.

Dan

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dmantis
      Theres nothing wrong with not being "state of the art". Hell it's very difficult to stay "state of the art" in todays market unless you continue to upgrade every 6 months.

The rsp1066 is a killer preamp. If your using external amps then I see no reason to buy a receiver.

Dan

If your eventually going to buy power amps for all channels, a good move would be the RSP-1066 at a heavily discounted prce now (assuming the core features meet your requirements) and the RSP-1070? or what ever model replaces the current RSP-1068 in the future, by that time you will have more spare cash to pay for and justify the processor upgrade. That's the move I made anyway.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

Iberec -

Magnepans are great speakers! Becuase of the MC1's low effieceny (86db/watt) and 4 ohm rating, you should use the largest amp you can afford, such as rotel's 200 watt RB-1080 stereo amp. Also note that few receivers on the market at any price have enough power for 4 ohm speakers. The 1067 is one exception to that, but I think you'll need more than 100 watts per channel to be happy.

If you can get a 1066, and a 1080 in or near your $1500 budget, that would be a good start.

If you can stretch to around $2000, then I would audition the 1056 as a preamp, along with the 1080 amp.

- Jack

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"