X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Help: subwoofer @ 100hz

Hello All,

Can someone help with the sub setting? On the 1068 it's at 100hz. What does this mean? I need someone to explain this in "laymen / basic terms." I don't understand the "tech talk."

I'm using a 10' Klipsch subwoofer.

thanks
    june
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

hz = hertz (not the car rental company) - the number of times a speaker goes back and forth in one second.

the 100hz you see on the 1068 is the point that the rotel uses to direct sound between your main speakers and your subwoofer. (any frequency below 100 goes to the sub, above goes to the main speakers)

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

Thanks
      June

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

June what the cross over point means is that at the setting you choose the main speakers will stop playing and the subwoofer will start. Now its not a brick wall meaning that your speakers won't be playing anything below 100 hz just that it rapidly falls off compared to frequencies above that point. It might make more sense if you look at the following plot that I did for my speakers some time ago.

As you can see the front speakers play down to around 80 hz in this plot before rolling off on a steady curve while at the same time the subwoofer starts to pick up about the same time to maintain a smooth response all the way down to the lowest frequency its able to play. Ideally this transition should be very smooth so that there's no hole from where one speaker transitions to the other but that's easier said then done in many rooms without the aid of an equalizer to boost or cut problem spots.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

As a follow up to that what are your main speakers? 100 Hz might be a little higher then you'd want to run as above 80 Hz frequencies become more of a point source vs a non localized source...that means that if you set your subwoofers crossover too high you might be able to pin point its location too easily which makes it harder to integrate with your other speakers...now if your sub is located up in the front near the front speakers its likely nothing to worry about but for my own curiosity I'd like to know what your front speakers are to see if maybe the more traditional 80 Hz setting might not work better for you.

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

Andrew,

My speaker are the Paradigm Studio 100's v2. I had a PW-1200 from Paradigm but I moved to a papartment & that sub was too big. I just brought the a 10' Klipsch last Sat. But I'm going to exchange that for the 10' Paradigm (PDR-10) this weekend.

June
            June

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Given those speakers June I'd highly recomend using a lower crossover point...80 Hz should be better for those speakers. Those are pretty big speakers for an apartment though...I like your style

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

thanks

Andrew,

Thanks for your help, I'll make the changes on the 1068 this evening.

june
                June

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"