X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyckid
    • Feb 2004

1068 bass management

i just bot the a 1068 and have my sytem configured for all speakers small (5 of them) and subwoofer on. in the subwoofer menu, when i set a master crossover frequency, i thought it was supposed to also make the change in the advanced setup menu for each of the speakers. for example when i set the crossovre freq in the subwoofer menu to 80hz, then when i go to the advanced setup menu only the subwoofer freq is shown as 80hz, all the other speakers are shown at 100hz. do i manually change each speaker to 80hz. my impression from the manual was that all these speakers were supposed to default to the crossover set in the subwoofer menu?
    also, what is the best way to calibrate the external inputs when using the 1068 with a denon 2900. i noticed that the subwoofer levels of the external input can be adjusted by both the rotel and the denon 2900. which one should i use to make the adjustment for analog input.
    one thing i noticed was that the rotel shows all speakers active,center backs (7.1), when the multi input is used, even if you system is ony configured for 5 speakers. is this ok??
  • baddkarma
    • Mar 2004

Hi nyckid -

I'm in the midst of setting up my 1068 as well. Regarding the x-over question - the crossover setting for the sub does not affect the setting for each speaker. You must manually change them to what works best for your system.

Turn off any speakers that are not setup through the OSD.

You could try to match settings with the 1068. I would try that but also try shutting off the filtering on the Denon and use just the Rotel 1068 and see what sounds better.

Denon's engineering group in Japan reportedly recommends the following for the DVD-2900:

DVD A/V (PCM GROUP)
    CUT FREQ. SLOPE
    HIGH-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order
    LOW-PASS 80Hz 24dB/oct 4th order

*DSD FILTER (SACD)
    CUT FREQ. SLOPE
    HIGH-PASS 80Hz 6dB/oct 1st order
    LOW-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order

Good luck!

Darren

Comment

• nyckid
      • Feb 2004

according to the instructions, setting the crossover freq (low pass) in the subwoofer menu should also set a corresponding high pass filter to the small speakers. however wehen i change the subwoofer frequency in the sub menu, only the sub crossover changes in the advanced setup menu. the other speakers remain at 100hz. what does it mean if my sub is set at 80, and the other speakers at 100

Comment

• baddkarma
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by nyckid
        what does it mean if my sub is set at 80, and the other speakers at 100?
        It means that any signal around 80Hz or higher will be channeled through your sub and your other speakers will recieved signals around 100Hz and higher.

How you want to configure them really depends on the capability of your loudspeakers and sub and how it sounds to you.

My N802 fronts are set for 60Hz and my Mirage PS-8 sub for 80Hz. Seems to work well for me for these speakers.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• baddkarma
          • Mar 2004

Just had to follow up - I played with my system (speakers) some more... set the Fronts to Large and the x-over to 100Hz and it really opened them up.

Sub remains on 80Hz.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If you set any speakers to "large" it will defeat the crossover and send a full range signal to the speakers. There will be no bass directed to the subwoofer from those speakers.

Also the bass management in the DVD player is for it's analog outputs only. The only effect they will have is on the signal going to the multichannel analog input on your 1068. If you're using a digital connection from the player to the 1068 then you will utilize the crossover, delay and level settings in the 1068 not the 2900.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• baddkarma
              • Mar 2004

I guess that would explain why they opened up.

The dealer mentioned to use the "small" setting and it really did seem to sound better I think until I hooked up the RB 1090 to the L&R maybe and then I thought the "large" setting seemed better but perhaps I should play with the x-over some more.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep playing but so far I am very pleased. Even the girl friend commented on how good the system sounds and that's saying something!

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I own the RSP-1098 and after experimenting with the settings for a period of time, I decided to set my speakers to small, sub xover at 80hz, fronts at 60hz, and all other speakers set at 80hz, (with the sub xover set at 100hz on the sub, running a 7.1 configuration). I recently repositioned my sub and re-calibrated my speakers (after the calibration, I decided to run my sub 1 db higher, personal preference). I find this, at least for now, my optimum configuration, after the DoProIIx upgrade. Your mileage of course may vary.

Hope this helps in your tweaking endeavors,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Darren, you'll likely want to set your crossover just a bit higher than whatever the individual speakers lowest capabilities are. So for instance if your mains can play down to 45Hz a 60Hz crossover will likely work well. Your centre might only play down to 60Hz, there a 80Hz crossover will likely be better. Maybe you have small rears that only play down to 85Hz. There a 100Hz crossover would be best.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• nyckid
                    • Feb 2004

i think there is some confusion about the crossover function. the crossover frequency sets a low pass filter to the sub and a corresponding highpass filter to the speaker. i believe if you set a crossover for an individual speaker than it overrides the crossover set for the sub (just for that speaker). a speaker-subwoofer pair can only have one crossover freq between them. whenever a speaker has a different crossover than what was set for the sub, the setting for the speaker overides.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"