X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Amp comparison: RSX-1055 vs. RMB-1075

Can anyone offer any comments about the comparison between the amp section of the RSX-1055 and the multichannel RMB-1075 amp? Specifically, I am wondering how different, or similar, the sound is between the two.

I realize there will be a loudness difference due to the different wattages, but what about the overall soundstage, or quality of sound, differences. Is the 1075 a definite upgrade amp-wise over the 1055? I am unable to visit a dealer for a couple weeks and was hoping for some input and opinions from the group here.

Thank you.
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

Glenn,

I've gone in to test the 1055 and the sound was really smooth and clean. Unfortunately they had loaned out their 1075 so I could not compare the two. Others have said though that the sound stage opens up and obviously you're able to go louder with the 1075. Just remember though that most likely when you do listen through the 1075, it'll probably be hooked up to the 1066 which may give you better detail. Members here have said that with the separates route, you can notice a difference. Others however have said that they really couldn't notice much difference in the sound. I'm sure everyone here would tell you though that if you can, go separates now. This will give you greater flexibility since you can always keep the amp. Also when the time comes (enough loonies and toonies saved up), you can upgrade to the 1098.

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    My Collection

Comment

• Glenn
      • Jun 2003

Aeromos

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I am in the process of making my final decisions with Rotel product combinations. I am down to the conclusion of using the 1055 as a processor (instead of the 1066) and the 1075 amp. But then I began to wonder, is there much of a benefit (other than a little bit of extra volume) to using the 1075 amp vs. the internal amps of the 1055.

You mentioned that others have commented that the 1075 leads to the sound "opening up". This is the exact type info / comments that I was looking for. I really want to know the sound difference between the two options.

To note, I have decided to use the 1055 as the processor, as at this point I do want a tuner. I also believe a 1055 might be easier to sell vs. a 1066 at a later date (for when one day I DO have enough loonies/toonies saved for the 1098 )

Any others with thoughts of the 1055 amps vs the 1075?

Again, thank you.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Glenn if you want to use 6.1 or 7.1 you're going to need an addional amp anyway so you might as well get the 1075 and use it to power the mains, centre and sides and let the 1055 power the rear speaker(s) since it has the ability to reroute its main channel amps to the rear. The amps in the 1055 are a solid 75 watts and will sound pretty good compared to most other receivers but there's really no question a dedicated power amp will sound cleaner. I was using a HK PA5800 which was rated at 93 watts per channel and it sounded better then the 1055's internal amps and I'm now using the 1075 amp and its light years better then the HK so I have no doubt whatsoever that the 1075 would be a significant upgrade to the 1055

Comment

• Glenn
          • Jun 2003

Andrew, for the time being, my HT set-up will be a 5.1 format. However, I forgot that the 1055 has the option of re-routing the mains to the rears, another bit of flexibility for sure.

Your comments about the 1075 and direct comparison to other amps you've used is greatly appreciated. I must say, I have now decided that a 1075 "needs" to be in my stereo rack

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Good going Glenn!!!

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Good choice:T

Comment

• Tha Freak
                • Jul 2003

why use a RSX-1055 as a pre-pro with an external 5ch amp when, for the same price(as the RSX) you could get the RSP-1066???

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Becuase the 1055 is usually $200 cheaper then the 1066, the 1055 has a tuner, resale might be easier with a receiver, the 1055 gives you built in amps for the rear which allows you to get away with buying a 5 channel amp and finally the sound quality is very similar so why not

Comment

• Tha Freak
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                    Becuase the 1055 is usually $200 cheaper then the 1066, the 1055 has a tuner, resale might be easier with a receiver, the 1055 gives you built in amps for the rear which allows you to get away with buying a 5 channel amp and finally the sound quality is very similar so why not
                    Ho Ok then you just made me smile saying that I made a good purchase with my RSX!!

I didn't know the 1066 did not had a tuner???

as for the price, here in Montreal, both are 2000$

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                    - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Glenn
                      • Jun 2003

Keith / Andrew

Thanks for the congrats and thumbs up! I must say I'm feeling very pleased with having finally made my Rotel product decisions

Will let you know in a couple weeks when I make the purchases! Can't wait!

Now until that time the only thing for me to think about is what price is a good price?! Always something, isn't there

Comment

• Aeromos
                        • Jun 2003

Hey Glenn,

I know that here in T.O. at a certain store, the prices are as follows:

RSX-1055 $2000 CDN
                        RSP-1066 $2200 CDN
                        RMB-1075 $1500 CDN

This dealer will knock off 10%. Plus if you pay cash they can probably knock off another 2.5 - 3%. There is another dealer I know of that I haven't checked out yet. When the time comes for me to pull the trigger, I will definitely find out who will give me the lower price. With a little more haggling maybe they can knock off more points, especially if you're going to buy 2 components at once.

Aeromos
                        My Collection
                        Aeromos
                        My Collection

Comment

• Glenn
                          • Jun 2003

Aeromos

Valuable info, thanks. Hopefully I can get a "package deal" price for when I visit the local dealer. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"