X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

Which Amp to buy?

Hey gang,

I'm getting ready to buy my first hi-fi system and could use a little advice from some of the more experienced audio enthusiasts.

The speakers I have chosen are: Martin Logan Aeon-i (4 ohms).

My dealer suggested the following from Rotel combination.

• RC1090 preamp
    • RB1080 power amp.
    • CDplayer 1072

I felt that the Rotel amps didn't offer the bass response that I was looking for, and overall didn't make the ML's sing. But maybe that will all change once it's actually in my home in the correct environment.

Today I went and listened to Classe Cap-2100 Integrated Amplifier. Whoa! What a difference an amp can make and an integrated one at that. I was suprised at how the speakers seemed to literally come alive and the bass response was drastically improved. I want this one. I wanted it until I found out that it was 4,900 and my wife interjected and said, "Forget it."

The dealer then suggested as an alternative setup, "Musical Fidelity." Which would cost the exact same as the Rotel.
    • A308CD
    • A308AMP

I didn't get to listen to Musical Fidelity today, but also feel that by looks alone it's not as pleasing to the eye. Sort of bulky and old school industrial.

I also have not really heard any reviews of Musical Fidelity. Are they good? Are they "considered" better than Rotel?

So before you tell me to "just go with what sounds best." Please offer me your subjective opinion, because it seems I can't afford what actually sounds best- Classe.

So my conclusion is: Maybe I go for the Rotel, and in 2-3 years come back to the better stuff. Is that the best workaround if you were in my position?

(Please also keep in mind I just moved from the states to Europe and do not have the flexibility of trying these in my home first or looking for used products, as they are very scarce).

Thanks for your time and comments.
    Last edited by sugarmedia; 09 February 2005, 13:25 Wednesday. Reason: .
  • booktrunk
    • Aug 2004

I have to say, loyal rotel person that I am....

I'd snatch his hand off to get the A308 amp and cd player. GRAB IT BEFORE IT GOES

Steff
    "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• DanR
      • Dec 2004

As always, you must listen and decide for yourself. I could tell you the Musical Fidelity is better but if you like the sound of the Rotel better why would you purchase A308 set-up???
      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

That MF A308 combo is superior to the Rotel... for the same price, grab it! It is 1 less box as well and will save you on cables.
        Last edited by jlee; 11 February 2005, 18:16 Friday.

Comment

• mmpeak
          • Jan 2005

For me, I would say go with Rotel. It's best to go and listen for yourself and make your own mind up with what sounds better to you. I've listen to people in the past and later found I didn't agree with them, so that's why it's important to make your own mind up. One thing I've learned with audio, some guys can be so dramatic with saying things like huge difference, far superior, kicks-a**, beats the pants off, sonically out performs, and all that, just to come and find out the differences was so minimal that it really comes down to personal preference to the sound the unit creates. Good Luck!

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

Sugarmedia,

That A308 CD is a $3000 CD player and that amp is a $3500 amp. I know they are on closeout to be replaced by the new A5 and KW series, but to be able to get it at the same price as the Rotel units is a steal. I realize higher price doesn't mean better sound, but those Rotel components add up to about $1000 for 1080, $700 for CD player, and I think $700-$1000 for preamp? Just from a discount point of view, you're getting a much better deal with the MF stuff. The build quality of the A308CD is 2nd to none. It weighs over 40 lbs.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"