Don't walk out of the store with a New-in-box Rotel amp UNLESS....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SQconstable
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KAP

Take the money and move on I suppose.

After seeing how Rotel has addressed my issue, I am happy that they tried replacing a faulty receiver with two more new ones, but I can't believe they consider this problem normal. I don't really consider 8.75" woofers to be overly large for mains, yet I get the bigger end of the shaft because 60Hz is just so much louder in them than most people's setups. Nonetheless, there's buzzing thru the tweeters so it's not just me and my large fronts.

The way I see it, I helped nothing as far as the movement to get buzz to be fixed by Rotel. However, my local store has gone beyond my expectations to remedy the solution.
    Last edited by SQconstable; 08 February 2006, 16:59 Wednesday.

Comment

• SQconstable
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by miner
      Bottom line - is THTS giving you full credit of the unit or are they wanting to 'discount' the refund due to age? Well, at least Rotel is attempting to 'right' this wrong. Also, is Rotel suggesting a RB-1080 is a higher-end product compared to the 1067?

THTS is only wanting to give $1700, discounted because of age... that will only be able to get me a preamp?

From what I read, yea I think they're saying that the 1067 isn't the higher-end. That's weird though - it's almost the most expensive "amp" they carry. And probably among the top as far as how expensive.

$2200 = not high end???

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SQconstable
        THTS is only wanting to give $1700, discounted because of age
        Maybe not for me to say, but that seems wrong, if you bought a new warranty unit... esp for a basic operational flaw.

How old is it?

Did you try taking home the demo?

Rotel's reply -- as you posted it -- seems oddly vague... not sure why they're discussing their 1077 & 1080 power amps here... do you ever have a chance to speak to Rotel directly on the phone?

It really is possible that some current-spec Rotel products may have trouble operating quietly in the Austin area, for one AC-power-related problem or another... but I'm really curious about that demo.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• SQconstable
          • Mar 2005

That's right, it would be wrong to only give me $1700. I just called my store and talked with the manager again and he said that Rotel informed him that I wasn't happy with the $1700 credit and I said, "right"... he said he does want to make things right for me but he's eating some of the shipping of things here and there because of my problem (Rotel needs to reimburse him for that if it's true). So it's turning out that he WILL give me back full price on it finally. I told him, "If you're going to do that, I'll definitely upgrade through you." He said, "well it's store credit so yeah".

I'm thinking about getting the RMB-1095 5-channel monster along with the 1068 pre-amp. Rotel and my dealer are both pointing out that the RSX-1067 is a consumer piece, not a reference piece like the RB-1080.

But even then, the RMB-1095 still has "RMB" and like Rotel says: "The RMB 1077 is not share the same topology as the RSX1067, but again this is a home HIFI amplifier and is not a studio quality amplifier."

So it's a home Hi-Fi amp.. I'm not sure the difference between pro and home Hi-Fi at this stage of high-priced gear, but I'm trying to get away from this type of buzzing and humming so my question is.. is the RMB-1095 still "home hi-fi" or is it reference like the RB-1080. I'm only wanting to get a combo that doesn't hum/buzz.

When I look up the RSP-1068 as an option for my preamp, I found this review with people's proclaimed strengths and weaknesses:

"No way to do bass redirect on analogue and no bass redirect on digital" <-- the 1067 redirects via Bass Management, why wont this one? Or is he saying something else?

And then another issue:

"Summary:
          Its all good except in 2 channel mode it hisses from center and surround speakers,every unit I have heard,1068,1067,1056.Rotel don't know "anything" about it,unlike everyone that has heard it in my presence.

Strengths:
          Great units for 2 ch and HT(LESS HISS)

Weaknesses:
          hiss in 2ch and Rotel can't hear it."

These are just two different people with problems and I know I shouldn't base my purchasing power off only two people but I'm only one person, went through 3 new units and all had same issue. What's the chance?!?

If anyone has another suggestion please let me know. Rotel's within my price range so I stick to them, but I don't want gear that is known to have problems like the ones that shouldn't happen Is the RB or RMB series worth it?

Comment

• SQconstable
            • Mar 2005

I want to add that when people say "studio quality", it's a misconstrued labeling of certain gear into a group for the snobby engineers who think they deserve the best. When I make my mixes, I can do it on many different combinations of gear, and I've even used bad speakers intentionally.

For example, I wouldn't call Yamaha amps studio quality as far as Rotel's definition/implication, but they sure please our ears for what we may be doing at that point of the mixing or mastering. I've worked in a studio for a while and don't think there's certain gear that's "studio quality" nor do I think there's a product out there that would require such a branding. Remember the days of Yamaha NS-10 (white cone woofers on black boxes) in studios? They were used because they simulated what consumers hear on bookshelf speakers and "boomboxes". Studio engineers are using pretty much the same gear (except for some powered loudspeakers) as consumers in home theater.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Is there a reason you require 5.1? For audio pleasure 2 channel will yield you the best quality. A RC-1070 pre ($500 MSRP) + RB-1070 ($700 MSRP) @ 130 watts/ch in 8 ohms will give you what you are looking for in quality sound. IMHO, when you add 5 amplifiers into one chassis there will be some 'noise' to deal with. I have been contemplating stepping up to the RB-1080 BUT I am hesitant due to amount of 'problems' I have read about on this site. RB-1090 would be great BUT my shelf (above a 55" Mits) won't hold that type of wt. If ever in the H-town area you are welcomed to come listen to my setup - mains are B&W 804N & ASW800 sub.

Comment

• SQconstable
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by miner
                Is there a reason you require 5.1? For audio pleasure 2 channel will yield you the best quality. A RC-1070 pre ($500 MSRP) + RB-1070 ($700 MSRP) @ 130 watts/ch in 8 ohms will give you what you are looking for in quality sound. IMHO, when you add 5 amplifiers into one chassis there will be some 'noise' to deal with. I have been contemplating stepping up to the RB-1080 BUT I am hesitant due to amount of 'problems' I have read about on this site. RB-1090 would be great BUT my shelf (above a 55" Mits) won't hold that type of wt. If ever in the H-town area you are welcomed to come listen to my setup - mains are B&W 804N & ASW800 sub.
                Yes, I have a reason - I produce and mix in 5.1. I also A/B compare mixes against other DVD-A, SACD, or DVD movies. I need the 1067's Bass Management and redirection capabilities via EQ settings. Basically I need to replace the 1067 with something just as good or better. If I have to purchase separate amps, I'll do it. I don't see a problem with multiple amps in one chassis. I've never ever heard another multi-channel amp have the type of hum/buzz that this 1067 has. I LOVE the options inside the 1067 and don't want to downgrade from that. It's not just sound I'm going for - I need these options for my job. The 1067 fit the bill, but it's just too distracting and unprofessional for image. I do want that type of sound or better, but I don't want to spend more than 4k total. It'd be cool to have a six channel amp so that 6th channel could be for a sub. I think Rotel has something 6-ch but it's low power.

Comment

• SQconstable
                  • Mar 2005

I'd like to add that I don't ONLY produce in 5.1 - most of my work is in stereo. However, the 1067 is perfect for the job. I think I may have to search through the forum to find any problems to steer away from. It's a shame I have to work through a limited selection - Rotel is really fine gear for quality, and I'd even go to call it "suitable for studio use" if it isn't noisy.

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

But.. did you try the demo 1067?

Rotel separates might resolve all problems, even if by coincidence... but by now you understand it's a bit of a crapshoot... and given the circumstances, the store really needs to extend a no-strings return option if you go this route.

I can't speak to studio usage... am just now getting wind of this, and it's probably accounting for some confusion and unclear communication between the 3 parties... all Rotel products can rightly be characterized as mid-level consumer-grade audio & video gear... whether they're fit for a pro mixing environment can only be determined by you.

Hate to do this on the ol' Rotel forum, but SQconstable could use a break... if you'd like to jump ship, another make with good SQ and very advanced BM is the Arcam AVR300... don't know about redirect capability... $2K new... they make separates also.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• SQconstable
                      • Mar 2005

I feel bad for making my local Home Theater Store seem like a guilty culprit of this issue - they truly aren't to blame for any of the problems we've experienced. They've really been good to me throughout this process and have gone way beyond what other dealers would have done as far as getting new replacements and offering credit so I can have the option to upgrade to something else. Most everything has to go through policy and the manufacturer of the product in question. When all has failed, you can always rely on your dealer to make things right. Originally, I may have felt that nothing was being done on the dealer end but it was evident that there was a ton of conversations back and forth to Rotel. I gotta say that I'd definitely do business again with my Home Theater Store - I would still consider purchasing Rotel if I don't encounter any problems. I feel bad to have been in this situation with a store I have 100% loyalty towards, and I feel odd everytime I go back up there. I'm sure they're also feeling awkward about the whole thing too. They can be assured one thing though - I'm their customer for a very long time and I have nothing against them in regards to this situation. In the future I'll always fully demo an item to prevent pain later. This is the first time I've ever had problems with audio gear other than small driver issues with audio interfaces (recording hardware), but it will hopefully be the last. At least I can be thankful my local store will take care of me, and that will always keep me coming back!

---> Many of you were wondering about that demo unit - It turns out that the demo unit actually did buzz too - we could have been listening to the noisefloor of the wrong speakers at the time of demo'ing, but it's now evident that it also buzzes/hums like the other 3 new 1067's buzz that we have dealt with.

Also, I'm gonna go demo the RSP-1068 on the RMB-1095 sometime this week and trade in the 1067 while paying a little more for the separates. If there's a hum on that combo, it's definitely going to be a different issue (3-prong!) which I know very well how to deal with. I'll definitely be checking for self-inherent noise with ears to the speakers this time.

Rotel, I sincerely apologize for harsh posts, but my wife said it best, "Only YOU would buy a $2200 receiver.. my mom would NEVER pay even $200 for a full system including speakers! But even my mom heard the noise and commented on it."

I guess people like us are paying more for something more - it's all about the expectations. At this price, I was expecting something "more" than those other products that cost less. I haven't abandoned Rotel just yet - I'm hoping that the 1067 is the only troublesome model that I'll ever remember...

...onto bigger and better things.

Comment

• KAP
                        • Jan 2005

All's well that end's well!!! Please keep us posted on the results of the 1068 and 1095 combination. It is possible that if that works out for you, many of us will follow your lead and make the switch to separates.

After all is said and done...........if your Mom (or anyone's Mom) heard the buzz and commented on it........it must have been very loud. I don't know any Mom's that would notice!!!

Comment

• SQconstable
                          • Mar 2005

OK, so I brought a 1095 and a 1068 home and I was so happy because at the store, the only buzzing and humming we got was when we had two of these lower quality RCA's plugged into the 1095 coming from the 1068. With one RCA, it was noiseless.. with both, some sort of ground loop happened. We took a wire from the chassis of both the processor and amp and the noise went away completely. We also tried a more expensive set of RCA's and the noise problem had improved significantly. Still, grounding between chassis fixed this type of buzz, which I was fully happy with tackling rather than dealing with the different, self-inherent buzzing that the RSX-1067 had.

Now, I hooked this gear up and was very excited to have such an upgrade. My store is so awesome for getting me fixed up with no strings attached. They're really a good bunch. They are more interested in customer satisfaction than any dealer I know.

At first listening in my home, my left front channel was so darn quiet with all factory 1068 settings. What could it be?! I interchanged the right front RCA's to different amp inputs on the 1095 and every other speaker in my setup had the same problem. I went into the OSD (on-screen display) and went straight to the Test Tone section. Sure enough, the white noise was barely playing through the left front. Man... I had to boost it to MAX while making the right front at -5 or -6 to make the stereo balance equal in 2ch mode. Something isn't right.

SO, I put on some music and noticed something right away... the left front channel was overdriven/distorted at even low volume. This is clearly a blown preamp! How could Rotel package this unit up and send it out for sale? I called the store and told them I could be on my way to exchange it.

Unfortunately, the store had no more 1068's in any color (I was willing to take black even). So now I have to wait until Monday so they can have a Silver 1068 shipped from Houston or Dallas to replace my defective 1068.

I can't believe this is happening. Why me.

Comment

• SQconstable
                            • Mar 2005

I fully tested the 1068 to make sure it wasn't operator error. I've tried other RCA cables and that left front pre out is just plain BAD.

I did test the 1095 in the store and I was so happy that it was a very quiet unit. However, I should have tested the 1068 processor, but who would have known that it would be defective? Rotel, are we supposed to fully test every product of yours everytime we demo it?

Seriously, we shouldn't have to open up every new boxed item and hook it up at the store - this would waste so much of the salesperson's time... not to mention it already takes them 1.5 hours on average to do all the paperwork for a sale.

Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• SQconstable
                              • Mar 2005

This 1067 is a dead issue and I cannot recommend a 1067 for the self-inherent buzzing. I'm now having problems with the 1068 and am now continuing here:

Mods, sorry for the confusion but my new 1068 has replaced the 1067 for which this post was in regards to. It's still relevant to making sure you don't walk out of the store unless you check the new item, but still.. it needs a fresh thread.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"