X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DigitalTexas
    • Jul 2003

Rotels and balanced outputs

I've been contemplating about which Rotel product to get (receiver v. separates.) I've noticed on some forums about people bashing the 1098 for not having balanced outputs; how important are these really and do they make a night and day difference over unbalanced outputs; Or are people just being anal for the sake of it?
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

Balanced outputs are important when your pre/pro is a significant distance from your amp(s) (i.e. 30+ feet). Balanced connections have better noise rejection over long distances. For normal cable lengths (i.e. 1 or 2 meters), they add a lot of cost to the manufacturing with little to no benefit.

Gregg
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Superior noise suppression is their main benefit, but, as Gregg said, this only comes into play with abnormally long runs. Some claim that components have improved sound quality using balanced inputs/outputs, but others contend that they don't. Another benefit that people attribute to balanced connections is that they are more sturdy and offer a better connection, which might well be true.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Rotel engineers, I'm sure, make decisions on which inclusions would most benefit the end product so that they can release it at a certain price point. Judging by their history, they're pretty good as to deciding what will be most important to most people in this regard. Just my opinion.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Read the questions and answer by Rotel thread ... there is a comment from Rotel about balanced with a nice link to a site to explain about it.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"