Subwoofer connection. Balanced/unbalanced.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB
    • Apr 2004

Subwoofer connection. Balanced/unbalanced.

Hello.

I am just about to take delivery of an SVS P2B+ subwoofer.

Currently I have a Parasound C2 pre-amp processor.

Connected to it are 7 mackie 624 active speakers.

These are connected to Balanced outputs XLR to XLR connectors.

My question is regarding the subwoofer connection.

Do I connect it to the XLR balanced output, the same as the other 7 speakers? If so with what type of cable/ converter? as SVS P2B+ does not have an XLR balanced input?

Do I connect it with a suitable cable to the unbalanced RCA output connector on the Parasound?
    If I do this should I move the mackies to unbalanced RCA output connector, having all 8 speakers on unbalanced RCA output connector?
    Or can I leave the 7 mackies on the XLR balanced outputs, and have the sub on the unbalanced RCA output connector on the Parasound. If I do this, could the parasound accept this miss-match of outputs?

Any help or suggestions will be welcome.
  • ralniv
    • Apr 2004

You can use the regular subwoofer analog output on the bottom-middle section of your C2 (labeled subwoofer). If your amplifier does not have XLR inputs then I think your are SOL on the XLR output option. Besides, I don't think the XLR noise reduction is really all that valuable on the subwoofer channel compare to your mains and center.

Comment

• MIB
      • Apr 2004

So its ok to mix and match the the outputs as long as the same type is not used twice??

Sorry, what does your term SOL mean to us limeys!
      Last edited by MIB; 04 May 2004, 17:45 Tuesday.

Comment

• ralniv
        • Apr 2004

Actually I did a quick search and was able to find cables that were XLR on one end and RCA (woofer amp) on the other end. You could go this route.

I haven't hooked up my new C2 yet, so I can't say for sure if mixed (XLR/RCA) outputs are allowed. I would be surprised if it didn't work.

D'oh, now i have to explain SOL. SOL= shit out of luck (the "of" is ignored because it's a small word).

Comment

• nicholtl
          • Aug 2003

I'm not sure if an XLR to RCA cable will work. I've never tried, and I would think that in theory it would work, but then I was always under the impression that one end of any XLR cable needed to go into something that provided power, like an amplifier. But I could be hugely mistaken. It's perfectly ok to mix and match in terms of having all your speakers hooked up to an amp, but having your sub hooked up to your C2's subwoofer out. This is exactly how I have my PB2+ connected to my C2. While my 7 Klipsch speakers all go into the A51 or A21.

Comment

• MIB
            • Apr 2004

Hi. I had an answer from Parasound support
            "It's ok to run balanced and unbalanced at the same time"
            "The C 2 is designed to work w/either balanced or unbalanced lines. About half of our customers use balanced lines and w/o any problems."

So there I am, Im ok to go!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

There is NO problem with you running balanced speaker connections and unbalanced speaker or subwoofer connections at the same time. Congrats on the new sub! :banana: Since SVS has no balanced inputs (I've even talked to them about this) you definitely want to run the unbalanced subwoofer connections on both ends. No problems, and system will work great.

Let us know how the new toy is!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• MIB
                • Apr 2004

I will Chris.
                Im picking up my replacement C2 tomorrow so the fun will start I hope. Prematurely cut short by a fault to my first C2.

Comment

• MIB
                  • Apr 2004

Chris, the new toy is fantastic thank you.

I really am happy touch wood!

Setup is straightforward and the detail and clean power just blew me away and continues to.

A really crafted, lovelly piece of kit.
                  :T

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I suppose that's better than being a really crafted, lovely piece of sh___?

:wink:
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• MIB
                      • Apr 2004

The auto setup puts the SUb, which is directly behind me as 10 ft??

Apart from that, everything is going swimingly.

Its definitely not sh**!!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"