This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Knarly
    • Mar 2004

US,first off I'm not posting so much for members,its for potential buyers,like I was but no one offered nothing but praise.I don't feel helpless at all,other than the fact I don't design and build audio gear but do feel an obligation to try to hold Rotel to account.I would be happy to sell you or any member my Rotel 1056 for $1100,any takers,you know its a great deal,right.I would feel guilty however to sell to anyone that I had not made aware of the hissing.I can also tell you I don't "suffer" with my 1056,it sounds quite nice as I have posted numerous times,that does not mean the hiss issue should not be addressed.One more thing is no members here have caused me misery,most are very polite and understanding and the few others don't cause misery,just kinda baffles me cause I and others know the hiss problem w/these units.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I'm one of the people that's baffled by all the hissing. I can see how easy it is to get a ground loop issue. LOTS of amps have this problem where it's very easy to induce it... Maybe I just feel lucky that I haven't had a single ground loop/hiss issue with my rotel gear. And I can tell you, I'm really surprised with all that I have on the circuit (15amp with three rooms on it). So I was pretty positive I would have an issue, yet I have none. So it goes to show that you that there are ways around it. My friend has my 1080 and he had a ground loop issue with it when we hooked it up, but all I did was run his digital cable through his Monster 2500 and it silenced right up. Since then though, my friend got back his Bryston amp (7B if I remember correctly) and it too has the hiss/buzz from his digital cable, so we just left the cable plugged into the Monster 2500 and it's as quiet as anything as well.

I think it's a little unfair to say that Rotel has all these issues with buzz/hiss when other amps can just as easily... but I'm not saying that it can't happen... Don't take it that way.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones that seems to have really good wiring or something in my house (but the wiring is almost 15 years old).

Though I can't speak for everyone, but I think that most of us are here to try to help out as much as we can. Most of us know too, that Rotel isn't the best and end-all-be-all of audio gear, but we do have that love for our products (which I think is a good thing). So most of us want to help people make their systems sound as good as possible and hopefully get them to enjoy their systems as much as we enjoy ours.
      Last edited by PewterTA; 04 February 2005, 14:23 Friday.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

I have a Rotel RC-1090 and am pleased with it. Great for driving reclacitrant amps!
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• dermie999
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bob Knarly
          US,first off I'm not posting so much for members,its for potential buyers,like I was but no one offered nothing but praise.I don't feel helpless at all,other than the fact I don't design and build audio gear but do feel an obligation to try to hold Rotel to account.I would be happy to sell you or any member my Rotel 1056 for $1100,any takers,you know its a great deal,right.I would feel guilty however to sell to anyone that I had not made aware of the hissing.I can also tell you I don't "suffer" with my 1056,it sounds quite nice as I have posted numerous times,that does not mean the hiss issue should not be addressed.One more thing is no members here have caused me misery,most are very polite and understanding and the few others don't cause misery,just kinda baffles me cause I and others know the hiss problem w/these units.
          As I said before Bob there's plenty of scope for you to post your negative feedback but you seem intent on posting your complaints in here when if you bothered to read the first post in this this thread you will note that it was specifically established for people who are happy with their Rotel. Are you really upset that some people have actually bought a Rotel and have had little or no problem?

You've also posted your complaints in a number of other threads which makes me suspect that your only aim in posting here is to somehow deny the experience of the rest of us who have posted in this thread. We have had NO problems with our Rotel setup and we are HAPPY with it.

As was said above spare us your complaining, sell your Rotel gear and move on. We can't fix your problems!

Trevor

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Guys please drop this :argue: before I have to step in. We're all entitled to our thoughts and to share them with the group but please stop to think first if a PM or email to someone specific might not be a wiser choice of contact then posting to the board as a whole.

Comment

• Kevin97225
              • Oct 2004

All is well here

Running Rotel RB-1090, RC-1090, RCD-1072, and RT-1080 for just a little
              under 1 year now with no problems!! I've been very happy with the sound
              quality, looks, and no issues.

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

I have been running an Rotel RB-990BX amplifier (10 yr old) since, well, yesterday.

I'm glad I picked it up - it's clean, clear, and sweet.

Paul

Comment

• Lefteris
                  • Feb 2005

Nice forum for a change! Speaking for myself, I'm new to this forum, nevertheless I want to state something. I've been digging around the HT area for years, and one thing is clear concerning the quality control issues: IF you're so unlucky to have recieved a bad machine, you can easily replace it. BUT, I doubt that the hits are so frequent. I blame the transportation fatigue applied to the products, since things like humidity can really destroy them. So, don't blame the factory, judging by their products, they can't be so sloppy!

Cheers!
                  Miles Smiles

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by will1066
                    Hey, Legairre. I thought your name looked familiar. I'm using an Arcam AV8 now. The 1066 really served me well. And the amps still serve me well. Rock solid.
                    Will, WOW an Arcam AV8. Nice choice :T Good to see you again.
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• KathyMason
                      • Nov 2004

Thanks every one for your positive input with your Rotel equipment. Also thanks for all kind compliments, I really appreciate that!

Comment

• mmpeak
                        • Jan 2005

I have bad luck with UPS, by the time I get the box it's beat up, another time with an actual big hole in the box and UPS delivered it any way with out saying any thing about it.

I guess we don't think about that but now that you mention it Lefteris, one of my Amps shipped in the past came in and looked fine but I started
                        to notice an electronic stink smell with the Amp for about two weeks that wasn't going away and then the problems started. I noticed looking at the bottom of the Amp it had a slight bend in the frame and the feet bent into the metal just a little. When they looked at the Amp, they discovered it had been
                        handled too rough during shipping and the drop impact slightly bent the frame and caused a hairline crack on the circuit board, right on the side
                        I was smelling that stinky electronic smell! They quickly replaced the Amp.

So it's a good point you bring up, not always the manufacturer's fault, some times it's the UPS guerrillas fault!!!

Comment

• scient
                          • Feb 2005

I am a first time Rotel owner and currently I am quite annoyed. I just setup my 1056 but it pops and crackles A LOT! On all channels. It's driving me batty, waiting for monday to call Rotel and my dealer. Also it seems a little weak driving my Stuido-100. Don't know if it might be related to the crackling problem.
                          BUT...I love the features on my Rotel and I am gong to try and excange it for another 1056 or if my dealer lets me, exchange it for RMB-1075 and a pre/pro (maybe the RSP-1068 ) and pay the diff. I know Rotel is a good company so lets hope they come thru.

Comment

• mmpeak
                            • Jan 2005

scient, keep us posted and let us know how it goes. I hope you get the problem solved. Rotel sounds great. Make sure you check all cables, different plug. Have you tried just the speakers and 1056 only and still get the noise? I once had a DVD player causing this and fixed it quickly by
                            grounding it.

Comment

• scient
                              • Feb 2005

Folks just got off the phone with Rotel techinical support. Spoke to Mike Chan. He said that it was a manufacturing problem and that one of the resistors was bad. He's going to call my dealer and they are going to replace it with a new unit (seems they are testing the fix now). The whole conversation lasted about 3 minutes and I am a totally happy witht the outcome. Rotel can have my buisness anytime, everytime.

Comment

• mmpeak
                                • Jan 2005

Very happy to hear that Rotel is giving you great customer support!!! :T

Enjoy your new unit when it comes in. :P

Comment

• TMHobbies
                                  • Feb 2005

I have had my Rotel system RC-1070 pre-amp, RB-1070 power amp, RCD-1070 CD player and I just added the RT-1080 tuner for over two years and can not be more pleased with the system.

My current goal is to upgrade the RB-1070 with an RB-1080 or RB-1090 due to the Martin Logan ReQuest speaker that are in my system. The RB-1070 works good but I need an amp that can better handle the less then 2 ohm load at times. But as far as the system in general it has worked flawlessly with absolutely no problems what so ever since day one.
                                  Doug

Comment

• hciman77
                                    • Oct 2004

I have a Rotel RCD-02, RCD-975 and an RA932. My very first amp was a RA211 from the early 70s, my Wife has an old RA820BX. All work/worked perfectly except that I had to send the "02" to Rotel to cure a clicky transport, despite being out of warranty they fixed it for free . I used to have an RCD855 and that was great as well.
                                    Tea break over back on your heads

Comment

• mpauline
                                      • Dec 2003

Okay this is getting ridiculous!

Well my 1080 has failed again. First the left channel failed a few months ago. Now there is no sound out of the right channel. I have to admit that the reliability of the 1080 is starting to make me question the engineering of this product. If it fails again I am going to demand a new replacement amp.

Looks like the fuse is blown again. Thank goodness my fuse has remained intact.

I love the sound of my Rotel gear and have been treated well by the company in the past however I am not going to spend every 6 months taking my amp in for repair. :evil:

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2003

From an engineering standpoint the RB 1080 as all the rest of the Rotel line are solidly engineered. Recently however Rotel seems to have been plagued with more than average failure rates due to faulty component parts that they obtain from outside suppliers. This of course is not directly Rotel's fault, but it is their responsibility to correct the situation. Rotel has been as much a victim of the problem as we have as end users, and I am sure the factory is doing everything possible to identify "bad actors" and get a handle on the problems. Meanwhile Rotel service support is doing a bang up job correcting problems as they occur. I suggest you eMail service and explain your frustration. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.
                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Nick M
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

I've been happy with my RMB-1075 and its performance. I don't have cable, so ground-loop noise through my pre/pro (non rotel) isn't a problem either.

Great piece of gear.
                                          ~Nick

Comment

• mtodde
                                            • Jan 2005

I'm glad to see this much Rotel support. I keep inching closer & closer! Tomorrow night I'm planning to go to a B&W demo that my Rotel dealer is putting on along with the Atlanta Audio Society.

I'll get my Paradigm Studios on the 19th will probably look to replace my H/K reciever with a 1056 a week or so after that...I plan to add a 1075 down the road.

I've been looking at Adcom separates as well.

Comment

• Mitchell
                                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mpauline
                                              Well my 1080 has failed again. First the left channel failed a few months ago. Now there is no sound out of the right channel. I have to admit that the reliability of the 1080 is starting to make me question the engineering of this product. If it fails again I am going to demand a new replacement amp.
                                              :evil:
                                              had you had the upgrade including new fuses and capacitors done to the 1080?
                                              My 1080 has been working fine since OCT when the right channel blew and the upgrade was done by Rotel in MA.
                                              Mitchell

Comment

• mpauline
                                                • Dec 2003

Hi Mitchell,

I am not sure what they replaced last time. I asked and nobody gave me an answer. Could you tell me what they replaced on your amp? I also contacted Rotel Customer Service and the manager there told me that I will not have this problem again....I presume that he means that if it fails again they will give me a new amp.

Mark

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                  • Sep 2004

I had gone through the same issue in October.
                                                  When I brought it in to the shop I was told that it needed to go back to Rotel in MA to have an upgrade made.
                                                  It involved a larger 8 amp fuse as well as replacing a capacitor. I called rotel and spoke to someone (Shawn I believe) who was very helpful and indicated that this upgrade should completely eliminate the problem.
                                                  Some of the dealers have been just upgraing the fuses alone which seem to help but not solve completely. I would suggest calling Rotel in MA directly.There were a whole bunch of postings by me at the time if you want to look up some more detail.
                                                  Its really the only thing I post about since I am an neophyte at this stuff.
                                                  Hope this is helpful.
                                                  Mitchell

Comment

• hery
                                                    • Mar 2003

Happy Rotel Owner

First of all, Great idea for a thread Kathy :T I have owned a RSX-1055, a RMB-1050 since July 2003, and recently added a 1075. Since the moment I hooked up my gear, have been very satisfied with the equipment. Thanks to the suggestions of Andrew and the members of this club that share their knowledge and experiences with us, I became an informed consumer, willing to spend my hard earned money on the gear because of its value and performance. The only regret I have is not having enough time away from work and school to fully enjoy it. :cry:

Comment

• rpryan
                                                      • Mar 2005

Bought a rdc-1072 a month ago and this was the first rotel equipment I
                                                      have ever bought. Just love it, my system just comes alive with the new addition. At that price, it was the best sound for the money. Wished I did that a long while ago.
                                                      Bob

Comment

• kiki
                                                        • Sep 2004

I had my for 6 months, send to distributor in Australia today to for fixing, centre channel no sound. Unlucky :roll:

I've got 1068+1075 driving B&W705+htm7

I bought it from RIO audio visual, they are very helpful and friendly and said that if anything wrong with the unit they will replace a new one for me, until yesterday when i go in with my 1068+1075 faulty units, they told me to bring them to the distributor myself, and said i make up story about the 'replace with the new unit' :M
                                                        I should have bought them from Encel Victoria, they are very professional and very helpful even if you have problem.

Comment

• fordster
                                                          • Feb 2005

Don't want to jinx anything but bought an RDV-1060 about 2 weeks ago and it's running fine. I love the sound from both CDs and movies and am looking forward to testing DVD Audio at some point. The picture quality is excellent too.

I also own an RA-01 and RCD-02 (have had these about a year now) and have had no problems, just that great Rotel sound.

Oh, and they all look fantastic too. Add me to the list of happy Rotel customers. Saving up for an RSX-1056 at the moment!
                                                          Dave

Comment

• beachbum
                                                            • Nov 2004

i have the 1068, 1075, and we love the sweet sound they make, they match our speakers just right, me and my sweetie listen for hours at a time and have had absolutely no problems, :T :T

Comment

• soundhound
                                                              • Mar 2004

My Rotel is again working perfectly. The bug in the v1.2.1 (muting when decoding changed) code was quite prevalant, and now with v1.2.2 all is again well, sweet stuff that is hard to beat.

Comment

• Alex Goulart
                                                                • Mar 2005

My 1067 software update isn't working!!

Kathy,
                                                                I'm having a problem with the software upgrade for my RSX-1067. I can't get past the promp after selecting 1 to start the download. My computer runs on windows XP.
                                                                Thank's
                                                                Alex

Comment

• Alex Goulart
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Having problems with the software upgrade for my 1067

What should I do? My computer is running on windows XP and I can't get past the first promp of pressing 1 to start the download. All else seemed to work fine. What do you think the problem is.
                                                                  Alex

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

I've had my RCD-855 for 15 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.

Comment

• greenjudas
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Hi all,I finally received my RSP 1066 a week ago[I know I'm lagging behind] and must admit I was concerned I would strike a problem somewhere.Well,I am happy to report all is well and am very pleased.Matched with the 1075 ,the 1066 is replacing my trusty Marantz 4200 budget receiver as the pre/pro.The first thing that I noticed within about 10 secs was how clean the sound was.Straight away I could hear a nice improvement with 2ch.Don't want to start another debate about breaking in,but whether its me or the 1066 ,it does seem to be sounding better,smoother.I didn't get the huge improvement with dvd's that I thought I would.It does sound a fair bit better in regards to separation and the cleaness ,although I was expecting a bigger improvement in the overall sound.But to be fair,I have only played a couple of dvd's so we'll see a bit later on.All in all, I am very pleased with the combo and can only envy you guys who have the better pro's [1068,1098]and the better amp[1095].Cheers

Comment

• GregoriusM
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2000

Rotel has thrown a lot of energy toward Quality Control issues, even hiring a specific person to look into it and make sure that the QC comes way up.

So, if this is the way Rotel handles it, then I'm a big Rotel fan.

There are lots of companies that don't care once you walk out the door with the product.

I've had problems with my first two 1056's, but have never had a problem with Rotel's service.

I KNOW that I'll get a solid receiver, because I know they have really stepped up their QC.

Way to go Rotel!

Awesome equipment!

Greg <<< Happy camper!
                                                                        Gregor

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2003
                                                                          • 1204

Originally posted by GregoriusM
                                                                          Rotel has thrown a lot of energy toward Quality Control issues, even hiring a specific person to look into it and make sure that the QC comes way up.
                                                                          I don't know where you got that information from. Most manufacturer's have a whole Quality Assurance department that autonimously oversees everything from design, (reliability and maintainability), Configuration Management (software), purchasing, (reliability and tolerance consitency), manufacture (workmanship process and cleanliness) and packaging design and even and shipping. (I spent the earliest part of my career as a QA Engineer for an electronics industrial activity.)

If Rotel only now has hired one specific person to do QA, that certainly is progress, but it also goes a long way to explain why Rotel has so many recent issues.
                                                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                            • 152

Jerry,

You are quite right. However, it is not uncomon for a company to hire a trouble shooter to sort out problems in a department within the company. I think we can all assume that Greg's post is reffering to that type of scenario. It would be extremely hard for me to believe that Rotel has survived all these years without a QC department.

Cracking!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2003
                                                                              • 1204

#83
                                                                              Jon,

I agree with your assumption. However, that QC department must have been asleep at the wheel. Not only has there been far too many problem pieces make it out to the consumer, but the variety of problems indicates faulty process.

Every piece of Rotel gear I have purchased in the past 24 months (total 4 pieces) has had an initial defect or has failed within 6 months , yet every piece of Rotel gear I have purchased in the prior 20 YEARS (6) was perfect and lasted. This supports my theory about someone (or a whole department) falling asleep at the wheel.

I don't think any of this can be blamed on Rotel's move of their manufacturing to China. I own a lot of Chinese made electronics equipment and find that it is all very carefully and sometimes artfully (Shanling T100 CD player) built. The insides of a 1098 are a wonder to see. I think that at the end of the day it will be determined that one or more of Rotel's component part suppliers is having manufacturing issues that affect reliabilty and stability.
                                                                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2004
                                                                                • 152

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                                                                Jon,
                                                                                This supports my theory about someone (or a whole department) falling asleep at the wheel.
                                                                                It sounds that not only was someone falling asleep at the wheel... in your case they drove off the road and crashed.

Cracking!

Comment

• rdram
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 98

#85
                                                                                  Well...maybe I'll chime in. My Rotel 1095 is a week old now and going strong. I originally bought a 1075...wanted 200w/ch but chickened out... some of the reason being the threads on this site, and others, describing problems with the 1095....hum and buzz. But I took advantage of the 30 day trade up option and got the 1095 last week. I must admit I was a little apprehensive, but so far its an impressive piece of electronic equipment. Dead quite...seems like limitless power. So far, so good! Above all....great sound. Now its time to save for a 1068..or a 1098...and a 1072...then I suppose new speakers....then a new sub. Somebody save me..........

Rich

Comment

• hamlyn
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2004
                                                                                    • 46

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by PiDD
                                                                                    You know for everyone one bad thing there are thousands of people with problem free enjoyment. People reading the forum have to realize this. This is where the few that do have problems get to seek help.

I dont see too many threads where people just say all is well! Good thread Kathy.

Rob
                                                                                    Point well made.

I call up my local phone company and alert them to a phone problem I have when my phone line has problems.
                                                                                    Now having said that, I don't call up the phone company and thank them every time I pick up the phone and get a dial tone...
                                                                                    Nor do I advertise that my phone line rox...

I had problems with my Rotel receiver out of the box. It was replaced with one that has never given issues.
                                                                                    My DVD player developed issues a few months later. It was sent in for repair and has been great since.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 177

#87
                                                                                      Up

RSP-1098, RMB-1075, RB-1070 are all working GREAT from day one "except" when "I" blew the fuse in the RMB-1075.Call me crazy but I never really looked into any other brand but the Rotels to run my system with my B&W's. :T :B you also have to factor in some people treat their stuff like #%$#% and that doesn't help the equipment out either, who do you blame there? Oh and to cover my $#@ I'm sure some of the product does come defective to some degree. My 3 cent...

"If your not with me, you are my enemy" :E

movie quote ;zx

Comment

• Elvis
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2005
                                                                                        • 106

#88
                                                                                        Still a great lovefest I see,Rotel has NOT addresed all their issues thats for sure.As to the thousands w/problem free enjoyment I'd love to see something to back that up other than a statement.As to the phone company I pay for a phone that works,I should not have to PAY and then thank them it works,thats why I pay,if its FREE then I'll thank them.Rotel sounds great/looks great but I'm no fanboy when they got lot o issues.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

#89
                                                                                          Originally posted by Elvis
                                                                                          As to the thousands w/problem free enjoyment I'd love to see something to back that up other than a statement.
                                                                                          Curious, what would you need to "see"?
                                                                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• pbarata
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2003
                                                                                            • 175

#90
                                                                                            I've a Rotel combo build with:

RMB-1075 since 20 March 2003 working fine since then ;
                                                                                            RCD-1070 since 20 March 2003 working fine since then ;
                                                                                            RSP-1066 since 20 March 2003, died on 23rd April 2005, waiting for a reapir since then.
                                                                                            Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                                                                            Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"