• Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

RSP-1098 software update wish list

Okay,

Here we go, feel free to contribute.

1) Electrical popping when switching channels via Direct TV, (manual on page 39 states this happens when switching rapidly between inputs or settings as it attempts to lock on to the signal).

Andrew, since Rotel has provided an update for the 1066 and 1055 which addresses this issue, will it be relevant to the 1098?

2) Turn on volume control settings for each input.

3) A +- 0.5 incremental adjustment for setups (instead of +- 1.0). where applicable.

4) Crossover incremental adjustments +/- 10HZ, instead of +/- 20HZ

Overall synopsis of the RSP-1098:

This is one beautiful piece of equipment, as time passes it sounds better each day.

I will provide further updates as testing continues.

Regards,

Azeke
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Azeke, could you clarify point 3 ... increments for what setup?

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Scarp,

Number 3 clarification:

The increment adjustments on the speakers, delays, contour, etc., instead of having a +/- 1.0 increment adjustments, refine the adjustments to yield +/- 0.5 increments.

Does this explain it better?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Scarp,

Are you are out there?

Any response for action item #3?

Hopefully, this explains it properly,

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Yes, I'm out there ... pfff ... its over 30 degrees (celcius!) here, so too warm for using my equipment.

But, thanks for clarifying. I'm wondering, is it really needed for that kind of precision? A decibell meter is never that accurate anyway, so for speaker calibration it shouldn't be required.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Scarp,

As you are probably aware even minuscule adjustments can make differences in any configuration. I would much rather have the option than not.

Just my $$ worth,

Azeke

BTW, stay out of the heat, think cool 8) .

Comment

• Jim Mc
              • Jun 2003

When the video display has been turned off it should not pop back on for volume changes and then go off again. Off should be off until I turn it back on again. Having it flash on and off is very distracting in a darkened HT.

The unit seems to be very sensitive picking up electrical spikes and popping when my lighting changes that my previous Parasound gear did not pass through.

The Stargate
              http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=66116202303&n=1123730486

The Stargate

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

So far I've only started playing with my 1098 but the OSD needs some work IMO. I wish that when i turned it off it would actually be off and black. Even in off it still glows a bit which I find it distracting in the dark.

Comment

• Jim Mc
                  • Jun 2003

Andy
                  Are you turning the display off by pressing and holding the MENU button?

Setting the display to OFF from the Display Source menu does as you describe.

The Stargate

The Stargate

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Jimmy

What I'd like to see happen is that setting the display to off would do the same as what happens when you press and hold menu. On mine setting it to off mearly turns off the OSD but the screens still powered up so it glows in a dark room.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I know LCD's have a hard time being 'black', but have you tried lowering the contrast ratio or brightness to see if it fades into the chasis a little bit more?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Yes I tried that already

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Andrew,

Just a quick note.

Holding down the OSD button (approx. 5 sec.) turns the screen completely black, until an audio adjustment is made then it returns to the black screen approximately 3 seconds after the adjustment is made.

However, I do agree with you that the OSD screens needs some software improvements. I am certainly enjoying the overall performance of this beast , (still tweaking). The DACS are superior to the 1066 and with the upgraded processor, this should allow us to have a multitude of upgrades.

Enjoy your new beast,

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I like how that holding Menu trick works I only wish it would remember I'd powered off the screen the next time I turn it on.

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

Great point Andrew, I believe it should be added to the software upgrade list.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Andrew,

Can't you just put that into your system on macro?

And I thought you were an expert Pronto programmer...

:LOL:

Kevin D.

Comment

• Scarp
                                  • Mar 2003

thats been on the wish list for the 1066 also for long... however i bet they thought about it at Rotel, but rejected it because some people would get confused ... example: you turn of the display with holding the menu/osd button for several seconds ... you watch a movie and turn the machine of.
                                  Next day your wife/gf/bf wants to watch a movie (yes they shouldn't touch it) and turns the 1098/1066 on and notices that the display is not working ... or you forget it yourself that you have turned it off. I bet Rotel will get calls from people who can't turn on their rotel, but actually just the display is off.

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Scarp,

Just press and hold the OSD button (approx. 5 sec., this could be a default) to reactivate to the menu. Don't know if that can be done, but I'm sure some variation of it could be accomplished through the software upgrade as a catch all.

Thoughts anyone,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Right what ever they do it will have to be something that won't confuse the public for the very reason outlined above. To me if we could have a setting somewhere that the user would set to have it remeber the state of the screen that would help...that way the user would have to swtich the setting from the defualt setting of it working the way it does now to an alternate setting to keep it off unless call for.

I could try and program something into the start up macro's but they would lenthen the time needed for each macro and without some sort of discrete it would be a mess to impliement....and really I'm the only one that gives a hoot about it so pressing and holding the menu button isn't the end of the world

Comment

• Jim Mc
                                        • Jun 2003

Andrew,
                                        I give a hoot about this OSD issue.

I can tell you this is one aspect of the 1098 I am unhappy about. The unit offers such full control and choice and this is one area it is lacking that needs improved.

I really dislike the flash of light you get when you have the display off and it pops back on just to display a volume change. Even if you set the OSD for output to the projector the on board display flashes on even though it's blank. Which is still a distraction.

If you can choose OSD to be:
                                        Display & Monitor
                                        Monitor
                                        Display
                                        Why not not "No OSD" as a choice??

BTW-I know I am not using the exact right terminology above but you get the idea.

I even gave thought to a black velvet plug to hide the display to eliminate the distraction. :?

The Stargate

The Stargate

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Jim my comment about me being the only one that gives a hoot was for family only not the club rotel community. I noticed last night that while in CD mode it didn't flash my volume changes on the screen like it does on a video source even though I had it set to both OSD and the monitor so I was seeing the volume changes on the TV but not the Rotels display.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"