X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Henk
    • Jun 2003

Why no 12 volt trigger on 1090?

Having spent months agonising about choosing the right amp for my system I finally decided on the 1090. Placed the order, took delivery, only to find that I cannot power on the amp by remote via a 12 volt trigger link between my 1098 processor and the amp. Big disappointment, so much so that my dealer agreed to take back the Rotel and sell me a Bryston for slightly more. I am at the point of taking this route unless there is a solution. Any advice?
  • drobert6
    • Feb 2003

I use a Monster HTS-5100 for one of my amplifiers. I has a 12v trigger and the amp is turned on by that.

Nice, because it protects the amp and allows me to delay turn-on by 30 seconds which keeps the circuit breaker from popping when the system turns on!

Don

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

drobert9, the 1090 (and all rotel amp) already have circuitry that prevent them to take incredible amounts of power at turn on. I know someone with a Krell amp and turning on that amp causes a spike of over 16 ampere, which blew his fuses. With Rotel this doesn't happen. Also using power conditioners on a poweramp is usually not recommended, because poweramps can draw quite a lot of power in a short time.

So, so why is there no 12volt trigger on the 1090? I actually do not know. But I have the 1090 also and don't have any problems with it anyway. Its just one button to push extra ...
      You could buy that thing from Rotel, which allows for turning on equipment through a 12volt trigger (I forget the model nr).

Comment

• LEVESQUE
        • Oct 2002

It's really strange because the RMB-1095 have a 12v trigger that I use to control it. My Bryston 4BSST doesn't work well with the 12v trigger, so I leave it always on (heh....20 years of warranty...so I leave it always on!).

You could leave your RB-1090 always on w/o any problem, and avoid any power spike.

And your RB-1090 have a built in mecanism that impose a delay on each channel when you open it.
        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• drobert6
          • Feb 2003

Scarp,

Thanks for the info. Perhaps the turn-on circuit is unique to the RB1090? I see that it is described in the RB1090 manaul, but it's not mentioned in the RB1080 manual.

I can tell you that powering up two RB1080's at the same time pops my 15-amp circuit breaker every time (I know...I need dedicated circuits...soon!)h:

Interesting that you mention not using power conditioners on power amps. Do you have any further info on that? Perhaps an article or something? All of the big companies (Monster Power, Panamax, Richard Gray) seem to make products specifcally designed to protect power amps. Is amplifier performance somehow degraded using these products?

Don

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

drobert6, not using power conditioners is mainly based on experience of myself and others. I suggest experimenting with it yourself. If you don't hear it then keep it on the conditioner.

Comment

• Henk
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by levesque
              It's really strange because the RMB-1095 have a 12v trigger that I use to control it. My Bryston 4BSST doesn't work well with the 12v trigger, so I leave it always on (heh....20 years of warranty...so I leave it always on!).

You could leave your RB-1090 always on w/o any problem, and avoid any power spike.
              Levesque

In idle mode the 1090 uses 120 watts, which in my part of the world impacts on monthly electricity costs. In idle mode the 1080 uses only 3 watts.

And your RB-1090 have a built in mecanism that impose a delay on each channel when you open it.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"