X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toofar
    • Sep 2011

Voltage Dip Question

So I was watching a movie a couple of nights ago at a very modest level, then all of a sudden my RSX 1550 turned off. My 1550 was the only unit to turn off, everything else stayed on. I'm thinking it was a voltage dip that triggered the unit to turn off? Two questions. Does this sound correct? How many times can this happen before it starts to negatively affect the unit? I'm not looking for a solid number, more like it can continue to happen with no problem or it will cause a problem eventually. I'm assuming the unit has some type of a kill switch to aid in situations like this.
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

It's possible that a voltage sag could cause the Rotel to power off, although none of your other devices were affected. Voltage sags can cause harm to electronic equipment, particularly those with sensitive microprocessors, so if in fact this occurrence is attributable to voltage sags, it is not something I would be comfortable with on an ongoing basis.

But it is hard to say if it is a voltage sag causing the power off, or some other anomaly with the Rotel unit. A multimeter that has Min/Max voltage capability can be useful to troubleshoot if this might be the problem. The easiest (and safest) type would be one of the plug-in meters designed to measure this and other power usage parameters.

If it's worth it to you, the Watts up? series of plug-in meters do record Min/Max voltages and cost ~ $100 for the basic unit, or ~ $130 for the PRO unit which can also download the data to a PC via USB so that you can see how the power might fluctuate over the course of a day. https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure...wai=511&comp=4

Unfortunately some of the less costly power usage meters, like the popular Kill A Watt, do not have a Min/Max function.

Steve

Comment

• toofar
      • Sep 2011

Thanks for the reply. Funny you recommended that, I just ordered one yesterday. I figured I should start at the root, and then go from there.

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Oh, cool! When you get a chance, please give us some feedback on your measured/monitored power situation as well as on the Watts up? meter itself. I have a Kill A Watt P4400 just to measure current draw and power consumption.

Steve

Comment

• toofar
          • Sep 2011

Will do. :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"