X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jody
    • Jul 2003

Planning On Buying 1066/ Any Advice?

Anything I should watch for when buying a RSP 1066? How do I know if it has the most recent upgrades?
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Point the remote at the screen and hold down the mute button until the firmware information appears on the Rotel's display. The most recent version is 2.25.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Mike Hayes
      • Mar 2003

The most amazing thing to watch for (listen for) is the sound. My 1066 continues to impress everyday. I have had it for about a month. Enjoy!!

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

I wouldn't sweat it if it didn’t have the latest firmware. That can easily be flashed.

I would however check the serial number to make sure that the model you are purchasing contains the updated video circuitry to support 100+MHz bandwidth. (Search the forum here, that serial number info has been posted several times). If you get a unit with the older 10Mhz video bandwidth its not the end of the world, but you will have to pay $100 to send it in to Rotel to be upgraded. (You only need the 100+MHz video bandwidth support if you are going to be sending 720p or 1080i video thru your 1066. If the most you will ever do is 480p, then 10MHz is fine).

Gregg
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Jody
          • Jul 2003

Thanks greggz, i'll look that up! ANd Danbry for the firmware tip!

Comment

• SomaJoe
            • Jul 2003

Hi Judy:

I'm a relatively new 1066 owner myself; mine is currently being upgraded to the lastest firmware and also having the BM fix done.
            Out of curiousity, what kind of speaker cables are you considering using?

-joe

Joe's HT
            Joe's HT

Comment

• Jody
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by SomaJoe
              Hi Jody:

I'm a relatively new 1066 owner myself; mine is currently being upgraded to the lastest firmware and also having the BM fix done.
              Out of curiousity, what kind of speaker cables are you considering using?

-joe
              I have no idea what I am going to do about wires. I have read enough on the forums that there doesn't seem to be a significant difference in speaker wire, so I am torn. On the one hand I want to just go to Home Depot and pick up a bulk spool, on the other hand I have the stereo store insisting that I need the better stuff. At $2-$3 a foot, it adds up pretty quick!

Suggestions???

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'd spend the money on better interconnect then speaker wire. Interconnects carry a line level signal where interference is possible and cable difference can and do make an audible difference...speaker cables on the other hand don't carry line level signals but an amplified signal that's much more immune to interference and unless you're using very thin cable the capacitance issues aren't really all that worrysome. That's not to say speaker cables dont' alter the sound but I think most audiophiles would agree that the bulk of your money should be spent on interconnects not speaker wire.

Comment

• SomaJoe
                  • Jul 2003

Jody & Andrew:

I think that's good advice Andrew; I did upgrade my interconnects and it made a really big difference (surprisingly so). I guess the other surprise I had was using a spool of speaker cable from Radio Shack, and when I got my 1066, the dealer convinced me to upgrade my speakers cables (Tara Labs Omni, about $2-3 a foot)... and again, a HUGE difference. So I considered that money well spent. This was a couple of months ago.
                  Now, I'm finally upgrading my speakers and my dealer is telling me I should really consider upgrading my speaker cables AGAIN. I wasn't really prepared for that, but I'm going from VM-1 monitors to N805's. I've been reading alot on boths sides of the cable issue (there sure are lots of opinions in the subject). I never thought speaker cabels could make that much difference, but my recent experiences have told me otherwise. So basically, I've been asking around to see what other people who have reasonably similar equipment are using.

-joe

Joe's HT
                  Joe's HT

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

I think the thing is that you don't want to shortchange your system cables anywhere. In other words, the cables that come in the box with your component usually aren't the best quality.

For me personally, the most important upgrade are the component video cables and analog interconnects, followed by speaker cables, then sub cable (which probably are the most forgiving of whatever cable's being used).

By upgrading, it doesn't mean you have to spend a ton of money. Many cable makers make quality cables using quality materials at prices that are very competitive. Even most of those who argue against cables making much of a difference will usually agree that the cables that come with the component need to be upgraded and acknowledge that well constructed cables are probably more durable.

One last note: I want to commend everyone here for respecting each others opinions. Cables are a topic that seem to evoke hard stances. Thanks to all for keeping this thing civil and respecting each others takes on the issue.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"