X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biekrx
    • Apr 2009

RSP-1066 vs. RSP-1068 vs. RSP 1069

I have been planning to buy an RSP-1069 for a while as I build up my home theater. Unfortunately, cash has gotten a little tighter than I hoped, and I still don't have a surround processor and the only display I have is a 12 year old 27" CRT. I can only fix one of these problems right now and the CRT has got to go. I have noticed alot of RSP-1066s and 1068s on Audiogon and Ebay, probably because they don't have HDMI. I do have an RA-1060 integrated feeding signal to an RMB-1085 driving Vandersteen 2Cs with stereo 2W subs. My only input devices will be an Oppo BDP-83 and a Squeezebox 3, for a while.

So the questions:

1) Should I stick with stereo for a while and wait for a nice RSP-1069 to come up or should I get one of the others and wait for HDMI 1.3 to settle down a little. I would consider buying a different processor used in a year or two if I don't get HDMI. I also have plenty of bass, and decent so surround sound is not mandatory.

2) Is it worth spending around $100-200 more for the RSP-1068 over the 1066? Stereo aidop sound quality is important and I am hoping for an improvement over the RA-1060. I don't need the internal DACs for stereo audio, but if they beat the Squeezebox DAC I will use them. Any other key features that I should consider?

3) Will either the 1066 or 1068 handle 1080p resolution via component video? (I am hoping Santa will bring me a flat screen. :B )

If I do go non-HDMI for now, I would probably run digital coax out of the BD player just to save a little on cables.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I would appreciate any experience on what is quickly becoming out-dated equipment.

Thanks,
    Robert
  • TommyV
    • Feb 2007

I say forget the 1066. You should be asking 1068 or 1069. I say 1069 all the way, you'll be glad you did.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

As the mostly satisfied owner of a 1066 purchased over three years ago via Agon, my time with this unit has shown it to be good choice for use as a video processing and switching unit In my basic HT system with only 4.0 audio, a 970 Oppo DVDp and Panny 42” plasma.

As far as 2ch audio/music performance, I would recommend looking farther up the line, or do as I did and use a second better performing 2ch pre-amp to feed the front mains.

As always, JMHO & YMMV
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TommyV
        • Feb 2007

Yea it is good advise and I will address the other part of you question which is IF you should even go into the surround sound setup world. I would say that if you have a room where that could practically do say a 5.2 setup at minimum and run you rear speaker wires. Also factor what you are going to use to view these movies because the CRT will have to go for a 50"+ flat panel or front projector to really enjoy the FULL experience.

So if buying more speakers, running cable, upgrading your display, calibrating the surround sound and video to maximise your experience all sounds exciting to you the HELL YES you should go for it. After you have decided on all that then start shopping for your processor.

If all that is more than you want to bite off than I say stick to tweaking your 2ch setup and make it a dedicated 2ch amp (or monos) and things in that direction.

Comment

• biekrx
          • Apr 2009

I will ultimately have a 5.0 setup. I have already run the wire in the room (basement remodel, the walls were already open). The subs that I have connect in parallel with the front two channels. They are really nice for stereo audio because they blend in seamlessly with the main speakers. With 300W each, I also have no concerns that they will do fine for HT as long as the LFE signal is directed to the two front channels instead of the typical "subwoofer" output.

A 47 - 52" 1080p flat screen (still deciding between plasma and LCD) is also definitely in the plan. At this point I have most of what I need, except the processor and the screen.

Part of the problem is that I am not completely happy with the audio right now. It is sounding kindof bright and harsh, but there are alot of factors that could be contributing (room treatment, source component, current "pre amp", to name just a few). I was looking to eliminate one of the variables and get the surround sound capability at the same time.

At this point I think I will stick to stereo unless a really great deal comes up (like $300 for a 1068, or less than $600 for a 1098...I know, good luck with that). Once there is a new TV on the wall, I'll start looking for more serious processors.

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

Go plasma unless you plan on buying like one of the best LED LCDs there are. Try to snag a Pioneer or if not any Panny, LG, Samsung 50" or more should do the trick.

Oh and do not get sucked into 1080p unless you are sitting real close. Resolution is a very small factor in PQ. 768p panels can be wonderful.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"