X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

Sudden shutdown on RSX-1056!?!

Hi,

Has anybody else had their unit turn off by itself? This had happened once or twice before, but tonight it did it like 3 or 4 times while watching a couple of movies.

I guess it's time to take it back to the dealer for repair. Hopefully this won't take weeks (or longer) to fix.

Frank
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

When you say turn off- it goes into stand by? You can grab the remote and fire it back up? How have you got the power settings set, what type of remote are you using? Not to say it may not be faulty unit but, other things may come into play.

Comment

• fvoelling
      • Jul 2004

Not sure about the power settings, I haven't messed around with the default settings of the unit other than setting up the video inputs.

And yes, the unit goes into stand-by (blue light on), but I just use the power (stand-by?) switch on the unit rather than the remote because it's dark in the room (projector).

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Check and make sure the power cable is securely plugged in. The bass from the movie could cause the plug to vibrate enough to lose contact.

As far as the menu power settings, go into the menu and under OTHER/POWER change it to direct. The next time it goes off see if it automatically comes back on. If it does, you have a power input problem (internal or external). If it still goes back to standby, you have an internal shutdown issue to the Rotel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• hamlyn
          • Jul 2004

A similar thing happened to a friend's system.
          Every time there were loud squences in a movie such as explosions or thunder, his system would shut down. In the end, it turned out to be a blown tweeter in one of his speakers. He unplugged one speaker at a time to narrow it down to the speaker with the blown tweeter.

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

Hamlyn, I assume your'e friends protection kicked in rather than a shutdown? That would be unique if it were to power down.

Comment

• DJDREW
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by hamlyn
              A similar thing happened to a friend's system.
              Every time there were loud squences in a movie such as explosions or thunder, his system would shut down. In the end, it turned out to be a blown tweeter in one of his speakers. He unplugged one speaker at a time to narrow it down to the speaker with the blown tweeter.

The Rotel Recievers will try to protect themselves before blowing up so make sure your speaker wires & power cords are secure and you speaker are in working order.Usally the amp shuts down hen soemthing has gone wrong primarliy due to too much current. Good Luck and let us know your findings fvoelling :T
              Rotel For Life :T

Comment

• hamlyn
                • Jul 2004

I had a similar problem with my RSX-1056 out of the box. It would shut down whenever I raised the volume past 50 (which in the case of Rotel products is not very loud).
                If I kept the volume under 50, it would eventually shut down, too. I never found out what the root cause was.
                I had the unit replaced.

Comment

• DJDREW
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by hamlyn
                  I had a similar problem with my RSX-1056 out of the box. It would shut down whenever I raised the volume past 50 (which in the case of Rotel products is not very loud).
                  If I kept the volume under 50, it would eventually shut down, too. I never found out what the root cause was.
                  I had the unit replaced.

Everything work well know?
                  Rotel For Life :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

DJDrew I've moved your list of gear to your profile where it belongs so it doens't screw up the search engines when someone does a query for one of those devices.

Comment

• hamlyn
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DJDREW
                      Everything work well know?
                      Yup, I have not had a problem with the receiver at all.

Rotel's and my dealer's customer service has been nothing less than stellar.

Comment

• fvoelling
                        • Jul 2004

Well, my unit still shuts down (into stand-by mode) on occasion, and it's time to contact Rotel. Unfortunately, my local dealer no longer carries them, so what's my best option, find another local dealer or contact Rotel directly?

Thx,
                        Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

I would contact them directly and let them know the situation. They will probably have you send it in.

Kevin D.

Comment

• buddy711
                            • Jan 2006

RSX-1056 etal

Wow!!!

I have an apointment this weekend to listen to an RSX1056 with a Rotel 1072 combined with B & W 602 S 3's. This has been highly recommended to me based on a small room 12x16 and adding a separate dvd player later with sacd etc capabilities along with the new lcd or plasma screen.

Now I'm concerned about the 1056 based on above posts. What type of wire/cable is best for this combination? Everything will be close together--the components will be on a rack to start and the speakers on speaker stands on the left and right.

Thx for any input. AND, please erase any doubts on 1056 shutting down.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Don't worry. This forum attracts a lot of attention, more so from people who have issues. So the two people that had this issue is an extremely small percentage of buyers. If you got scared every time you read about issues with something, you wouldn't ever buy anything!

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
                                • Jul 2004

I agree with Kevin despite me being one of those two people , it's a great receiver, you get a 3 year warranty (if I remember correctly), and a great support forum with Club Rotel!

Also, it's not entirely conclusive that there isn't some fault somewhere in my setup (it doesn't happen often enough where I can reasonably try the one speaker at a time method).

Frank

Comment

• buddy711
                                  • Jan 2006

Thx Kevin & Frank

Thank you for very helpful input--of course, I'm a newbie here and trying to catch up with information--first time buying new equipment in 17 years. Should I assume that the authorized Rotel dealer will guide me correctly with what kind of cables etc to purchase?

Also, I will have to get a new turntable because even though I've purchased cd's of old records, I still have literally hundreds of records in mint condition(jackets too) that I will want to play at times. The audio dealer indicated to me that they have a good choice of turntables. Would you have any suggestions as "best buys" for me in a $250 to $900 price range?

I'm still using an old Sony 8" reel tape deck for my original stereo recordings which came out in 1950's. Everything works!!!!

Thanks again for help; appreciate it-----and---I'm having lot's of fun going through this learning process again.

P.S. The 17 year old rack system is going into a bedroom!!!

Comment

• gd
                                    • Jan 2003

buddy711

Your 1056 will likely be fine.

TT's -- Rega, Music Hall, Projekt... you'll also need a phono pre-amp... I think Rotel still makes one; otherwise here are a zillion of 'em: http://www.needledoctor.com

Cables -- you will almost always pay considerably more at a retailer... I highly recommend this forum's sponsor, CatCables... high-value product and standout customer service.

Now, back to that pesky shutdown problem...
                                    greg (gd to you)
                                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• buddy711
                                      • Jan 2006

Thx gd--visited dealer for demonstration 1056 etal

I brought some cd's with me and listened to the 1056 with a 1072 player and the 602's on stands.

The room at the audio dealer was much larger and higher than my room. The speakers sounded great on a Marvin Gaye cd. They sounded even better with one of my favorite recordings from years back--the remastered cd of Canonball Adderley Quintet at the Lighthouse (1960 live at Hermosa Beach CA). Gosh, this one was really great. Vocals and jazz cd's did well with or without the sub turned on.

Now then--a whole different story to my ears were the classical discs and the organ classics. Here, the symphonies seemed to need floor standing units instead of the smaller ones with sub. They had sold the two dm 602's they had so I have to wait until they come in to hear them. The classical music and the organ pieces and organ with orchestra and theater organ pieces seem to need the floor speakers because of what's inside of them. I'll listen to those next week. I think and hope that will get the job done. The 1056 seems to be fine for the 12x16 room based on hearing it in larger room and the 1072 is a gem on first audition. There were no pesky problems with 1056 or 1072. Salesman was very well prepared and helpful from authorized dealer.

Comment

• JohnnyH
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by fvoelling
                                        Not sure about the power settings, I haven't messed around with the default settings of the unit other than setting up the video inputs.

And yes, the unit goes into stand-by (blue light on), but I just use the power (stand-by?) switch on the unit rather than the remote because it's dark in the room (projector).

Frank

How do you get a blue light to come on. Mine is always red. Maybe I'm shutting mine down incorrectly.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

Black models have red LEDS, silver models have blue.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
                                            • Jul 2004

Problem solved, wasn't Rotel's fault!

Turns out that my center speaker seems to be the culprit. I can repeatedly cause the Rotel to go into protective stand-by mode when I use my existing center speaker, and when I swap either one of my main front or one of the surround speakers in as the center (same cable), it plays just fine. BTW, the main speakers have the same drivers (as the center) but in a bigger cabinet, and the surrounds have smaller and fewer drivers in a smaller cabinet. Obviously something is wrong with my center speaker, but what I have no clue.

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Likely a slightly blown speaker or perhaps a problem in the crossover causing a short.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"