Static shock erases my RSP-1068s settings!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Static shock erases my RSP-1068s settings!!!!

Hello All & Happy Friday,

Last night while cleaning my apartment, I went to turn my volume up on the 1068. I sent a electric shock from me to the 1068. The 1068 shut off. I had to turn the unit off using the rear on/off switch. We waited a few minutes the turned the unit back on. All of my setting defaulted back to the factory settings. After setting the unit back to my likings, everything seemed to be okay. I'll use my remote from now on.

Has this happened to anyone else?

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

That hasn't happened to me (that I know of), but one time my 1098 wouldn't turn on, tried the remote and the power button on the front and nothing would get it to turn on. I turned the power off in the back, let it sit for a minute and turned it back on and everything worked right. But it was a little weird... Though my settings were all kept...

Sounds like you shocked that unit pretty good!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Someone had posted a few weeks ago about static and it had gotten a pretty good thread started, I don't recall the exact model, but yes, you are not alone.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by june
        Hello All & Happy Friday,

Last night while cleaning my apartment, I went to turn my volume up on the 1068. I sent a electric shock from me to the 1068. The 1068 shut off. I had to turn the unit off using the rear on/off switch. We waited a few minutes the turned the unit back on. All of my setting defaulted back to the factory settings. After setting the unit back to my likings, everything seemed to be okay. I'll use my remote from now on.

Has this happened to anyone else?
        June
        My guess is that in the process of cleaning, you generated enough static that it discharged through the component when you touched it. I don't know where you're located but now that it is wintertime, the humidity level can get very low and cause problems with static. In my home the humidity level can drop to less than 20 percent during the winter if I don't run a whole-house-sized humidifier around the clock.

Comment

• benny
          • Jan 2005

Yeah, that was me that posted about my preamp getting zapped by static electricity. It is obviously a problem that is somewhat common. My dealer didn't seem to be suprised and relayed to me that Rotel is "aware of the problem but haven't begun taking steps to correct it yet". Search for the thread titled "preamp frozen up". Several people were very helpful with their responses here.

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

I had posted also about my 1068 doing the freeze up.As some of our members informed me it was a combo of my new leather furniture and the very dry air in my basement.Anytime I touch metal after setting...zap.It has knocked my 1068 out twice and made my rcd 1072 skip...needless to say I use the remote as much as possible.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

June, for clarification sake it is not a Rotel only issue,it is a static issue. If you have ever seen semi conductors shipped from a vendor they come in a conductive bag, and when installing it is best to use a grounded wrist strap to install, so it is the nature of the beast within.

Comment

• Raphie
                • Nov 2004

Had my own scary 1068 experience myself today. Tried to turn up the volume via the remote and the 1068 just wouldn't stop until the volume was MAX!!

turned the volume down with the knob on the front but it kept running back up. ended up with pressing the power off in order to stop this. I was lucky that it happened in a rather easy dialog in the DVD i was watching. If this would have been an action scene i would had blown my speakers for sure. There is something spooky about the 1068 and the way it reacts to the RC1050 remote.

Comment

• Fishy
                  • Jul 2004

Static on ANY electronic equipment is NOT good. I would add additional earth straps to an earthing point or something. Once I get a spare socket I will get mine sorted out.

Fish

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"