X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip
    • Dec 2003

Upgrading by adding an external amp to my Rotel receiver

Hello all. I'm currently looking for a way to spend some hard earned bonus money. The leading candidate so far is a RB-1080. I was hoping others out there could tell me if I am headed in the right direction or if there are options I should be considering.

Here's the deal. My system consists of an RSX 1055 and a pair of CDM9NTs as mains. (I also have a LCR600S3 as a center -- due to size constraints from an Armoire that my wife loves too much to part with -- and in-ceilings in the rear). The system is used in the 85-95% range for 2ch audio rather than HT. I have a universal DVD-A and SACD player, so I am starting to dabble a bit in multi ch audio, but nothing major.

I am quite fond of the CDM9NTs and enjoy the Rotel sound (it seems to match well with B&W). While things sound pretty good now, I sense that the mains could use some more juice. Rather than starting over with a new multi ch amp and pre/pro, I was considering adding an external 2ch amp while continuing to use the 1055 as a pre/pro and to power the center and rear speakers.

Is this a good way to go? Would the 1080 be a good fit with the CDM9NTs (i.e., enough power, etc.)? While going with the external amp seems like a cost effective route, am I constraining myself in the long run and making future upgrades more difficult? Should I be setting my sights on a multi ch amp (like an RMB 1075) instead?

Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated. Also, if there are other ideas that I should be considering, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well if you are looking at the RB-1080, the only Multi-channel amp I would then look at the RMB-1095 as that would give you the 200watts...

Both are a good consideration. IF you go to the multichannel DVD-A/SACD, then you might want an amp that can cover all 5 channels...

But the RB-1080 works really well for two channels as well. And might be a consideration since you can add a 1095 down the line and get a nice 7.1 surround, or bi-amp your mains with the 1095/1080 in a 5.1 configuration...

Just all depends on how much you have to spend, and what you think the future will hold...
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Skip,

The RB-1080 will be really nice and a noticable step up for your stereo listenning... You can add a RMB-1075 later if you want to upgrade to 7.1...

The alternative of a RMB-1075 now who be better for 5.1 listening but not as good for stereo - BUT you could get the RB-1080 later...

The RMB-1095 is while nice twice the price of either the RB-1080 or the RMB-1075 so I'm guessing it is not an option ...

Give all this and your preference for stereo listenning - i'd go the 1080 route now..

Geoff

Comment

• Skip
        • Dec 2003

Thanks for the responses.

The 1095 is probably a bit out of my budget right now, so I think I am going to go with the 1080. I'm pretty excited about finally starting to realize the potential of the CDM9NTs.

Called my dealer this morning (the local Myer Emco), but they don't have the 1080s in stock. Huge bummer. He said it would be 7-10 days.

I didn't place the order yet, but probably will sometime soon. I assume there are no known upgrades/new models on the horizon that are worth waiting for?

Comment

• Scherr
          • Dec 2003

Skip:

If you do not mind driving to Laurel, MD, Audio Video Solutions has some very good prices on Rotel products. They have given me 23% off MSRP! E-mail me if you want the name of the person from whom I bought the Rotel from.

Scott

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Skip
            Thanks for the responses.

The 1095 is probably a bit out of my budget right now, so I think I am going to go with the 1080. I'm pretty excited about finally starting to realize the potential of the CDM9NTs.

Called my dealer this morning (the local Myer Emco), but they don't have the 1080s in stock. Huge bummer. He said it would be 7-10 days.

I didn't place the order yet, but probably will sometime soon. I assume there are no known upgrades/new models on the horizon that are worth waiting for?
            Skip,

I believe you have made a wise decision, the RB-1080 for the fronts is a superb idea, however I deal with the same local retailer and they don't carry the 1080's in stock, and don't yield much of a discount (unless you can do better that I can). That same local dealer does provide me very good service, and with me that is sometimes worth the extra cash (you get what you pay for).

You may wish to consider Scherr's alternate suggestion, and overall the 1080 has impeccable bang for the buck. I certainly have enjoyed mine without regret. Your mileage of course may vary.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Skip, I have enjoyed my 1080 for the past 5 months or so. My dealers was willing to give me 15% off msrp. You may want to order it from you local
              dealer if he's an ok Joe. I have found my dealer is more than willing to work
              with the price when retaining his repeat customer base. This may give you some leverage on future purchases. Just a thought.

I will say, I felt the 1080 sound was thin at lower levels. This matched what audio publications had to say. I borrowed couple pair of good interconnects from my dealer a few months after the unit was broke in and I was adjusted to the new sound. There was a definate improvement in detail. The big difference was the improvement in the size of the sound stage at low volume levels. So I purchased an even better pair of interrconnects than I reviewed. I am now reaping the rewards. :T

Jeff

Comment

• Skip
                • Dec 2003

Thanks for all of the replies. I am getting a lot closer to completing the 1080 purchase. Can't wait to finally open up the B&Ws.

Scherr -- Thanks for the recommendation in Laurel. I may send you a mail asking for the info. While I am partial to the local retailer (and will probably end up staying local for the reasons others mentioned), it certainly can't hurt to shop around a bit. I'm always open to being convinced.

Azeke -- I too have had good experiences with the local ME. I have been using the same salesperson in the G'town location for about five years. He's provided very good service and has given worthwhile advice. As for price, I can usually get some movement off MSRP, but rarely more than 10% on desirable products like Rotel unless it is a clearance item (I got a nice deal on my 1055). While I'm not thrilled with paying more than I have to, I probably will so long as the level of service remains high (and so long as the price difference when compaed to other places remains marginal).

Jeff -- I have never been big into spending a lot on cables, but your experience is curious. What brand are you using now and what brand did you switch from? I'm surprised to hear that it made so much of a difference.

-Skip

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

Skip, I am currently using AudioQuest. However, I beleive the a detailed explaination would not be appropriate unless it involved Cat Cables.

With that said, regardless of what you spend on an amp, pre/pro, cd player, etc., you need to tranfer all that information to your speakers. Cutting corners on speaker cables and interconnects will short change you on your HT investment. My recommendation is to review cables on the top side of your cable buget. Then review cables a notch or two above that. At that point you will or will not sell yourself on better cables. You will also answer if the $ are worth the return.

My budget wishes cables where not as large of a factor as they are. The 1080 is a good unit. When your getting everything out of her, you'll be a happy camper! :T

Jeff

Comment

• Skip
                    • Dec 2003

Just thought I would post a little update. I ordered the 1080, which arrived earlier this week. I haven't had a chance to really let it loose yet, but let me say...wow! My expectations were high, but they appear to be met. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to really let the thing go at higher volumes, but my initial observation is that there is a vast improvement in detail. The speakers sound way more refined and capable than they did with just the 1055.

Can't wait to turn it up...!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Have fun Skip :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Skip wait till you give the amp some hours to break in. You'll be amazed at it!

My 1080 is sitting over my friend's house used for his mains, and initially over there I didn't notice much difference (couldn't actually tell). But since I've been back to his house and he's ran it for roughly 50 hours now, I have to say I could really tell a difference. I haven't been over for those hours he's broke it in, just visits here and there. So with me hearing his system a lot before the amp, after I installed it, and then a week or two later, I've noticed the change.

I bet you will do if you do a lot of regular use from it.
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• mave
                          • Dec 2004

I'm not sure if it's allowed... but what are you paying for the 1080 ?
                          Here in Holland it's offered at USD 1900,--.............

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Great news Skip.

Enjoy,

Azeke

Comment

• Skip
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by mave
                              I'm not sure if it's allowed... but what are you paying for the 1080 ?
                              Here in Holland it's offered at USD 1900,--.............

I paid roughly 10% below MSRP. (MSRP is about $1,000 in the U.S.) I probably could have done slightly better by shopping around a little more or pushing a little harder. However, I like the service I get from my local dealer. I have been using him for about five years and feel very comfortable there. Also, he has given me more of a break on higher priced items, so it didn't seem worth busting his chops for another $25 or so.

Comment

• Asterduc
                                • Dec 2004

Hi Skip,
                                1000 USD = 740 Euro. I just bought a second hand for 850 Euro. Frustrating it is.
                                Anyway, I plugged it in on my new RSX-1056 and found the sound more relaxing, more high-end, but surpricingly in my opinion not louder. With the build-in amps I could go to level 74 before I noticed some distorsion playing Sara Evans - Born to Fly, which is one of my reference HDCD's for quality reproduction. With the RB-1080 I have kind of the same result, distorsion starts at 77, but there is more pressure in the bass and it sounds like there are less musicians in that recording. Accidently I had some visitors that had not much experience with quality reproduction. They found the on board amps more impressive than the 1080!!! Hey, this is high-end, you got to get used on it, sit, relax and enjoy!! Funny.
                                What is defenitely a big difference between on-board amps and the 1080 is stereo. The 1080 is splitting the stereo signal completely. I started listening Allan Taylor - Hotels & dreamers (Stockfish recording, unknown in the US but absolutely recommended). I thought the Right channel was not functioning when I started playing "the beat hotel". There was no error, just perfect stereo split.

After all, I am very satisfied with these units. My 10 years old Accuphase sounded good too, but I like the Rotel more. It's just a matter of taste. There is more power and controle in the Rotel.

Asterduc.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"