B&W 801D's driven by Classé Omega Mono's = X-cellent!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

B&W 801D's driven by Classé Omega Mono's = X-cellent!!

Today I had the pleasure of listening to a pair of 801D's (in one of my supplier's showrooms) driven by a pair of droolable behemoths, Classé Omega Mono amplifiers.

The setup there was: Classé CDP300 DVD player, used as a digital transport and connected to a Meridian 861 processor, connected to a pair of Classé Omega mono amplifiers which drove the 801D's.

I played 3 CD’s: Brian Culbertson - It’s on tonight; Stacey Kent - Collection II (24 bit remastered); Jeff Lorber - Heard that.

This was only a brief listening session. No A/B comparisons, no detailed analyses and no other hardware changes.

My impression was that the soundstage and 3-dimensionality was excellent. The 801D’s dig deep. I turned the volume up to almost ear-splitting levels several times (while playing Jeff Lorber) and felt the full bodied punch of the Omega amps controlling the 15" woofers of the 801D’s. I had the distinct feeling that there was plenty of power reserve available. Total and solid power stability. I must mention that I have never listened to the Delta CA-M400 mono’s (which I think is newer technology) and so I am unable to compare.

The purpose of this post is to give credence to the 801D’s being driven by these big beautiful amps rather than focusing on the source hardware. What I will mention (and my intention is not to brag) is that in my opinion, the Meridian 808 CD player (I own version 1 which was manufactured using 2004 technologies) still tops the CDP300/Meridian 861 combo in terms of detail and resolution - for redbook CD use. Most probably due to its dedicated audio circuitry, its ROM drive allowing multiple passes, its 3 buffers 2 of which are used as FIFO’s which reduce jitter significantly and Meridian’s “Resolution Enhancement” DSP in which the original 44.1kHz, 16-bit audio is upsampled to 176.4kHz, 24-bit in one of three 150MIPs processors operating with 48-bit internal precision.

My conclusion ... an awesome combo! Could I live with a pair of Omega mono’s driving my 802D’s? Hell yeah!!!

Update, Friday 27 February 2009:

I've just popped in and listened to the same setup fed by a different source. This being a Meridian 808.2 Signature Reference CD player fed directly to the Omega mono's via balanced analog outs (the Meridian player being set to "variable" such that the volume is controlled by the CD player & no external pre-amp is necessary).

The sound? Lifelike! Detailed! Crystal Clear! Resolution feels full-bodied & complete! In short ... perfection!

In my opinion, if one is going to invest in a pair of Omega mono's then one would be wise to invest a in a matching source of substantial quality. What that should be is for you to decide. :T :T :T

Attached Files
    Last edited by ShadowZA; 27 February 2009, 08:43 Friday. Reason: Update
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I'm not a fan of the CDP-300. I would agree that it was probably the weak link in the system.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

WOW...those amps look awesome! You dont see many people posting here with those bad boys.

Comment

• skuzzyb
        • Mar 2006

I have to agree with Sikoniko, the CDP300 is good, but not great. After doing an A/B comparison with the Cambridge Audio 840C I could not bring myslef to spending that kind of money on the CDP300 much to the disappointment of my dealer. Cannot say I have regretted the purchase of the 840C for one moment.

That is a great set up though. They are huge, wish I had the space for them! Everytime I think I need more power than my CA2200 I look at the lack of space and decide against it.... who knows, maybe one day I will suck it up and make space for a pair of CAM400s.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

anyone seen a room with 5 of these in it?

imagine if you had a 7.1 system with snails! you would need.... 4? of these for each speaker for a total of 28 of them!

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi Nolan,

great setup, much money but not every day so one setup to do... :T

this setup is be made on the Lario-lake near G. Cloney homes...

Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Updated original post.

Comment

• Pedro
                • Jan 2006

Awesome thread. I heard them driven by the Deltas CAM-400 and they were just amazing. But for their size they sure deserve a plenty power like the omegas or evolutions (in this case Krell) coz they are the only amps that could handle a lot of current at impedances below 4 ohms. The 801D surprisely dont down more than 4ohms showing how efficient they are, but they still demand so much current to improve the bass and punch.

I love these speakers and if everything goes fine in near future i should drive them with Evolution 600e amps.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
                  Awesome thread. I heard them driven by the Deltas CAM-400 and they were just amazing. But for their size they sure deserve a plenty power like the omegas or evolutions (in this case Krell) coz they are the only amps that could handle a lot of current at impedances below 4 ohms. The 801D surprisely dont down more than 4ohms showing how efficient they are, but they still demand so much current to improve the bass and punch.

I love these speakers and if everything goes fine in near future i should drive them with Evolution 600e amps.
                  Pedro, I'm driving my 3 x 802D frontend with an Evolution 403e and I am very satisfied. I can only imagine how fantastic the Evolution 600e must be. Good luck! I think that you will be very happy with those.

I did not have a definite plan B if for whatever reason I was not able to get the Krell ... but I can say that the Omega's were in my sights.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"