X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nmain
    • Nov 2004

Amp to drive B&W's for two channel and surround

Hi am very new to all of this, I have been considering the following speaker setup and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for amps that can drive them for good two channel and surround :

Front: 703's
    Center: HTM7
    Rear: 705's
    Sub: ASW 675

I have had a demo of the arcam AVR300 (I dont think it can handle the 703's), the Rotel RSP 1068 Processor with the RMB 1075 5 channel power amplifier, and a two channel Exposure 3010 Integrated amp. In my demo there was no sub, and the rears were not 705's, so I was basically just seeing how the amps could drive the 703's. I thought both did a better job of anything else I have heard (not that I have a lot to compare against - so any suggestions are welcome). I also used the two channel amp to watch a movie in stereo and thought that wasn't a bad option...

My issue is this, should I spend my cash on the rotel combination - and have an all in one (simple) solution, or should I go for the two channel Exposure 3010 (which is about 1/3 of the price), and add a surround processor/ additional amps at a later date. I am hesitant to go down this path as I do not know a lot about building surround systems from separates.

For now I am only after two channel, so I was leaning towards the Exposure 3010 integrated amp or some other amp that can drive the 703's well. Again any suggestions are welcome.
    I would like to know if it will be difficult to incorporate a good two channel amp into a surround setup? And what is involved in the setup of such a system?

Also, since I am only after two channel for now I have been thinking of trying the RB1080, from a lot of the posts this amp seems like good value for money. As the RB1080 is a power amp do I need to purchase any other components for two channel and what will I need to purchase to incorporate this amp into a surround setup?

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any advice.

Nath.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

nmain,

Good questions...

If you want to eventually for home theater sound in the next year or so - then you would be wise to consider a home theater processor even now to minimise wasted costs. Some options:
    • Rotel RSP-1068 and RB-1080 would be great - stereo now and easy progression by adding more speakers and the RMB-1075 to 7.1 surround sound. And I know the RB1-1080 does a great job on those B&W 703s
    • Rotel RSX-1067 reciver now (integrated unit) and just add speakers when you need them...
    • Rotel RC-1070 and RB-1080 now and integrate the RC-1070 into the a RSP-1068 later when you want to go surround sound (though this is a little tricky to use since the RC-1070 needs to be on a preset volume to be part of the output of the RSP-1068...

The Exposure 3010 is a no frills well reviewed 100W a channel intgrated amplifier. Would be fine for stereo now but not really much use for expanding into multi-cannel (you'd need to sell it or move it to the bedroom!)

Geoff

Comment

• nmain
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the reply Geoff,

I will look into these suggestions and see if I can demo the Rotel RSP-1068 and RB-1080 combination. It sounds like a good solution to me...

The only thing is that the Rotels seem to be cheaper in Oz and I am heading that way next year, so that is why I was considering the Exposure 3010 (as it is cheaper in the UK), I guess I can try to shop for some second hand rotels here in the UK.

Nath.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Nman,

Why wait... If the Exposure 3010 is all you want to spend now and 1/3 the price - get it - you can sell it for a reasonable amount when you want to get into HT and by then there will (most likely) be an even newer generation of HT processors and recievers...

[B]Geoff[/B
        ]

Comment

• nmain
          • Nov 2004

Geoff,

Thanks again, I might just do that, I am finding it hard to find a store that stocks the RB 1080 or RSP 1068. I found the 1080 for £845, but haven't found a 1068 yet, I'll keep looking for now...

Nath.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Nmain,

Have a look at this POST from someone who started out with the 703, RSP-1068 and RB-1080 and loved it!

Geoff

Comment

• nmain
              • Nov 2004

Rb 1090 ?

Geoff,

I am in the middle of negotiations with a guy in the US who has a RB1090 going for US$1350. I wasn't really considering the 1090, but if I can get it cheap I was thinking it might be worth it, what do you think? It wont be too much power for the 703's will it? Will it connect up to the 1068 just like the 1080?

The other thing that has me a little concerned is that the unit is secondhand, are amps like this fairly hard wearing, or is it common for them to have issues.

Nath.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Nmain,
                I am in the middle of negotiations with a guy in the US who has a RB1090 going for US$1350. I wasn't really considering the 1090, but if I can get it cheap I was thinking it might be worth it, what do you think?
                Are you in the USA? USA models have a 110V power supply while many other countries have 220 or 240V which would require a modification (cost) to the amplifier... $1350 is a reasonable price if it is newish (they retail for US $1999 or $1800 with a 10% discount. If you are not in the USA you should also consider warrantee support - which can be a challenge for second hand equipment which is from another country!
                Also there is second hand and second hand... Some "second hand" units are simply dealers open box units sold at a great discount (30% like yours) others are several years old... Price varies to match...
                It wont be too much power for the 703's will it?
                Never! THE 703s will love the power. You are in fact lest likely to damage your speakers as the tweeter is usually the first to go with a power amplifier clipping. Try a post on the Club Rotel forum here with a question and you will get some very happy RB-1090 owners..
                Will it connect up to the 1068 just like the 1080?
                Yes - same RCA cables. Only difference is the RB-1090 has no trigger so you leave it on or turn it on and off with the switch on the front..
                The other thing that has me a little concerned is that the unit is second-hand, are amps like this fairly hard wearing, or is it common for them to have issues.
                They are generally hardwearing, but there is always a proportion that do have problems (say 1-3%) which is why it is really good to keep in the same country if you can for warrantee - otherwise your risk is you pay for repairs (not a big deal - just a risk!)

Geoff

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

Personally, I would take a look at.........

the Ayre V-5xe, The Ayre V-6xe...........

The Parasound Halo A21 and The Halo A51...........

The Odyssey Stratos Extreme....The Odyssey HT3.....The Odyssey Dual Monos.......

Any of these amps have the ability to drive just about any speaker, and they sound very nice.

Just my 2 cents
                  Tony

Comment

• nmain
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions,

I spoke to Rotel's tech support they said that it costs £100 to convert the amp from 120 to 220~240 volts which is good for the UK and OZ.

I am not that concerned about the warrantee as I am moving back to OZ in the near future anyway, so I would probably have the same or similar issue.

Rotel's tech support also said that in terms of a secondhand unit - if you turn them and they work they should keep doing so for some time, sort of like a PC.

Unfortunately that amp is now sold, so I will have to keep looking, but thanks again.

Nathan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Nmain,

You can get an Aussie RB-1090 for Aussie$ about $2300 or $2400 (they retail for $3200) and an RB-1080 for about $1200-$1300 (they retail for $1599). So If you are coming back to Aussie soon - you could wait...

Alternatively I know at least one US Rotel contact who both discounts and ships internationally if you want to try that route (just PM me)

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"