X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Rotel RSP-985-help for a new member

Hello-

Am new to this forum. Many thanks to Andrew Pratt who was able to register me when my repeated feeble attempts had failed. I recently acquired some equipment and am hoping the Rotel mavens that frequent this forum could give me some advise. Due to spousal constraints I went to the secondary market and acquired a Rotel RMB-1095 and RSP-985 both in mint condition (for $1500- I was very pleased). I was a little wary based on things I have heard about the 985- cutting out at high volumes, delays etc., but the people at Rotel were extremely pleasant and said if there was a problem they could help. This question is thus for someone who has or has had the 985. What problems can I expect and what fixes are available. I will be biamping a surround system (NHT VT-2.4's with VS2.4 centers and surrounds (also resale at $1300 mint) with an NHT SA-3. Any recommendations on how to best set this up? I will be using the SA-3 wired in series with the low cut filter I should set the fron speakers on large and the back small I believe. I was also told that there is a chip fix for the sound cutout and by someone else this can be avoided by setting the SWL very high (-5db)???

Any insight will be great. Despite the chrombug issues etc, also suspect I will look at the Denon 2900 for a uni player. Any thoughts suggestions. I have been very fortunate buying these items at great prices- have had a very healthy respect for Rotel, and while I realize it is not super audiophile, feel at its price point, and certainly at what I was fortunate to pay, it can't be beat. Very pleased to have recently joined your ranks and look forward to your advise. Have not set anything up yet but plan to use 12g soundKing wire and Dayton audio connectors as recommended by many at the AVS forum as good quality and very reasonably priced.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Please ignore this, was an RSP-985 not 975 ( is there any such thing?) and I reposted correctly above. Sorry to flub my first post. Performance anxiety I guess.

Jeff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Welcome to the HTGuide I believe the 975 was the precursor to the 985...or at least there was a 97 something or other model...though I should remember since I owned it for a short time before taking it back due to some DTS issues I had with it.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

There was a 976 receiver, and the 980 was the precursor to the 985, but it lacked DTS.

Jeff,

I owned a 985 for about a year and never had a problem with it. IT was also running to a 1095. It was B-stock direct form Rotel so it might have had all the needed fixes for it done all ready. If you don't mind not having PLII and 6/7.1 surround, the 985 is actually a better preamp then the 1066..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
          • Jul 2003

Kevin-

Have no need for 6/7.1. Was thrilled with the buy I got on the units and think they will more than suit what I need. I did not get this directly from Rotel, but the said they would take care of any problem I had with it, which I thought was very cool of them.

Jeff

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

It's understandable. I think the initial batch had issues that were later fixed. They probably issued some form of global recall, orignal owner or not.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I owned an RSP-980 for a short time prior to getting into Lexicon. I'd guess that was 3 years+ ago. Nice pre-pro, but old technology now. There were some restrictions with it, as I recall a DB-25 connection from pre-pro, no RCA, maybe that's not right, I can't recall for sure. I know I had a DB-25 to RCA cable. As I recall, that was the only way.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                • Jul 2003

Doug-

Also sent you an email. I had heard from someone over in audioreview.com that that was the ideal (only) way to run SACD/5.1. Do you carry an RCA to 25DB, to you have a used one from your old setup to sell, do you know where to get them? Appreciate your input. I realize the 985 is not state of the art, but for what I will be using it for, I suspect I will be pleased. Also, I could not pass on the 985/RMB-1095 combo for $1500. Am not in an unlimited position to buy increasing diminished/incremental returns which as you know is usually an exponential cost differential to slowly tweak your way up. Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Jeff, I'd say the 980 is older technology than the 985. I can certainly understand why you went with the 985 on price.

I emailed you back. The DB-25 is a highly specialized cable. I could likely do it, but I would have to have more info on the connections as I said in my email back to you. I cannot recall who made the one I had. At first I thought I traded the whole thing back on my then DC-1 for full credit. But come to think of it, I actually sold them to a guy about 100 miles from here to get my first Proceed amp coincidentally on the same trip to upper east TN. I took money in one hand and handed it right out to a shop there, lol. We actually met at the audio shop. I had already bought my DC-1 prior to that and was using the RB-985 amp, with the RSP-980 gathering dust.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

The brand "straightwire" has db25 to rca cables.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                      • Jul 2003

Scarp-

Thanks. Was also told a company named Tributaries, and apparently also Monster make one. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Jeff,

With the 985, the outputs can be either the standard 6 RCA's or DB25. The 1095 does have a DB25 input, but quality would probably be better using RCA's. The multi-input is unfortunately DB25 only.

Email me at firebird@datasync.com if you would like me to get you a DB25 the 6RCA Tributaries cable, I can most likely get you a pretty good deal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• THXTEX
                          • Jul 2003

Hi

I just joined the forum after seeing this thread. I have had an RSP-985 for 3 years now. In the beginning I was through a lot of trouble with the unit and had it returned to the store several times.

The problems I have noticed are.
                          1. Delay in signal detection
                          A firmware upgrade minimized it, but it's not totally gone. Also by adding a wait of 5 seconds before turning DIGITAL off, there is no delay if you start the player. I have heard that with digital processors delays are quite normal.

2. Pop's and clicks
                          When skipping tracks on CD's and on DVD navigation there appear small pops and clicks. It even happens on layer changes. It basically happens when a sound stream is interrupted. Different DVD players might handle this issue differently.

3. Cut out's
                          I started noticing the cut out problem when I got my latest speaker system with subwoofer. I don't know if there is any chip fix for this, but I just set the SWL to 0dB.

Just to the right of the volume knob you can see a socket mounted chip. This is the firmware in the unit and I have been through several that supposedly should fix my issue.

Chip label colour
                          White - ??? 99 : Initial
                          Orange - Jun 00 : Signal delay lowered. Instead of switching DIGITAL off immediately it waits 5 seconds. (My own words)
                          Red - Oct 00 : No info
                          Gold - Dec 00 : The fixes involved relate to the screen 'white out' when a DVD player cannot keep up with the information from the Disc, it can loose information, causing the screen to go 'blank' momentarily), and also signal recognition. (Info from Rotel)

This is my list of firmwares; maybe more people could look into their 985's at check the colour of the label on their chip.

Kind regards
                          Thomas

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"