X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rotel4Life
    • Dec 2012

Audio Hiccup or Pauses in RSP 985

I've had just about every Rotel PrePro since the early 90s. RSP960, RSP980, RTC970, RTC965 etc., and many many different power amps. I just got rid of my rtc965, replaced it with a rsp985 as I needed something physically very small and would work well with my trust rb985. Gotta say I have NEVER had even the smallest problem with any of them.

This RSP985 has a mild hum audible when muted or before source on. I can live with that but have one frustrating issue: every couple minutes there is a 1 second pause or hiccup in the audio. Using DD5.1 optical input from cable box. Very strange issue. Anyone have any ideas?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Rotel4Life
    I've had just about every Rotel PrePro since the early 90s. RSP960, RSP980, RTC970, RTC965 etc., and many many different power amps. I just got rid of my rtc965, replaced it with a rsp985 as I needed something physically very small and would work well with my trust rb985. Gotta say I have NEVER had even the smallest problem with any of them.

This RSP985 has a mild hum audible when muted or before source on. I can live with that but have one frustrating issue: every couple minutes there is a 1 second pause or hiccup in the audio. Using DD5.1 optical input from cable box. Very strange issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Probably not the rotel. It's either an optical cable problem or a cable box/service problem. Change out the cable just for fun and see if that's the issue.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Rotel4Life
      • Dec 2012

Wanted to check both hiccup and hum (hum is quite noticable when i turn everything off the white noise goes away). Just changed all wires, unplugged TV and cable box and hum still there. Tmw gonna try using RCA instead of db25 from pre to amp. Hum is there no matter the input, mute on or off, nothing matters if 985 and amp are on, background hum thru all speakers.

Exact setup as with no problem rtc965. Just pulled 965, put 985 in its place and have both hum and hiccup. So not input source (99%) because I can rewind dvr and there's no hiccup.

So gonna try rca vs db25 for hum and will try coax dig to vid1 instead of optical to vid4 for hiccup. Not sure if two probs could be related? I know 15-20 year old gear may have a filter cap going bad- could easily explain hum- but maybe hiccup is a symptom of same problem?

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Comment

• Rotel4Life
        • Dec 2012

DB25 output is bad

I was surprised- today I replaced db25 (worked great w/former pre-pro) cable with second cable, still had hum. Replaced db25 cable with RCAs and hum is gone! it's been two hours and haven't noticed a hiccup yet either. If this remains true, I might post a new thread so it's easily seen, i.e. "DB25 cable output bad caused hum and hiccups"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"