Is it worth upgrading from Rotel RSP985 and RMB985?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • catzilla
    • Feb 2005

Is it worth upgrading from Rotel RSP985 and RMB985?

hi,

i am wondering if it is worth upgrading from my current amplification.
    My system contains B&W 2*804,HTM1,2*805 and 850 for sub.
    My pre amp is a Rotel RSP-985 and RMB 985 poweramp.
    From my knowing Rotel is no high end but gives a lot of value for its price.

I dont have much experience with high end amplification,but should it be worth considering Thule or Classé for amping?Should i get a lot more out of my B&W's,i'm not short of power,my rotel gives 5*100W RMS.

Any advice is welcome.

thx.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Yes, Yes, Yes

Catzilla,

In short, yes. I had an RSP985 powering an RMB1094 into N804's, HTM1 and SCM8's. I recently bought the RSP 1068. The sound improvement and flexibility (indiv. speaker settings, etc.) were decidedly better. PLII is also a good improvement on cable/satellite sources.

As for amplification, the Nautilus' like power. As noted above, I have a 1095. I does these justice. You actually have 5 Nautilus, I only have three. I'd recommend an amp upgrade to at least 200 wpc. 100 wpc probably will not reveal all that the Nautilus' can do (especially with a good, but previous generation pre-amp). Also, other posts in this forum have talked about some rotel monoblocks (500 wpc, $1500 ea?) on the horizon that would be a very nice upgrade. Classe and others at that level would be quite nice too.

IMO, Rotel does give a lot of value for the buck, but I would consider them high end.

Hope you get to demo some of these fine units.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• catzilla
      • Feb 2005

hi htsteve,

thx for your reply.I checked out the rmb-1095 on the rotel site,i see it has balanced and unbalanced inputs.Does that make a lot of difference? because the preamp rsp-1068 or the 1098 doesnt have such a connections.

greets.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"