X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr15
    • Jun 2004

5.1 or 7.1 ..... that is the question

I realize that this is not a strictly ROTEL relavent post, but I do respect your opinions. Club ROTEL seems to be a very active community and I hope that this post won't get bumped elsewhere.

Anyhow, I have a 1067 and I am very pleased. It's my first ROTEL product and it has met all my expectations. I'm redoing my den and the walls/ceilings are down to the studs. Therefore, any speaker installation would be easy to do.

I have never experienced 7.1 surround sound and wanted to know if you would put the extra 2 speakers in the ceiling to achieve 7.1. Is it worth the cost? It would be easy to do so now since wiring them would be a piece of cake.

Do those of you with 7.1 feel that it makes a significantly greater impact than 5.1 alone? Also, do you feel that in-ceilings are o.k. for the added speakers?

Thanks,

Craig
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

For me - it all comes down to how big a room you have. The bigger the room, the more speakers needed in order to re-create a believable soundfield.

Comment

• cmr15
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
      For me - it all comes down to how big a room you have. The bigger the room, the more speakers needed in order to re-create a believable soundfield.
      The room is 14' wide, 20' long and 8' high. You see, if I don't use the extra 2 1067 channels for the side speakers, I could use then to power external speakers to the patio. That's why I'm debating adding the side speakers.

Craig

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

I wouldn't hesitate to grab the opportunity to add two more speakers while the room is being redone. It's certainly far easier and cost effective than doing it later. It's one of those coulda, shoulda things.

Lastly DD with DPLIIx in 7.1 is truely a wonderful thing, as is DPLIIx music.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I am in a 16 x15 room, have tried going from 7.1 down to 5.1, that lasted about 2 hours. 7.1 can spoil one. As previously stated, put em in now while all is accesible, will be much easier.

Comment

• shadow
            • Dec 2003

Well, specifically what improvements do you get when you go from 5.1 to 7.1? It seems that this just adds a little more ambience to the overall sound. Giiven the cost of matching speakers, I would want to know that I am getting a substantial improvement.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Ambience, while watching sat. or a dvd with a good soundtrack it felt like something was missing with 5.1 (after experiencing 7.1) I use floorstanders for surrounds and bookshelves for rear centers so this may add to it, versus if I were using true surrounds. I use Klipsch Reference speaks and their surrounds use the dual tweeters @ angles so the 5.1 may sound better than my current configuration.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

This question has been proposed here a few times. My thoughts, once you go 7.1 with DoProIIx (which pans the center backs), there is no substitute.

There is a space issue associated with the 7.1 configuration, but my answer is an unequovical yes, it is well worth the investment, (as long as you have DoProIIx firmware upgrade on your 1067).

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• cmr15
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
                  This question has been proposed here a few times. My thoughts, once you go 7.1 with DoProIIx (which pans the center backs), there is no substitute.

There is a space issue associated with the 7.1 configuration, but my answer is an unequovical yes, it is well worth the investment, (as long as you have DoProIIx firmware upgrade on your 1067).

Hope this helps,

Azeke
                  Azeke,

I'm not really sure. I'm currently using the 1067 as a stereo amp until the room is completed. I can always get that firmware upgrade, can't I? What is DoProIIx anyhow?

For 7.1, do I need a center back channel as well? I may be very confused, but I thought 7.1 had front l/r, front center, 2 sides, and rear l/r. Aren't those the 7 speakers of the "7.1" Or is a rear center required as well for the panning of the "center backs" as you wrote above?

Thanks a lot, Craig

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by cmr15
                    Azeke,

I'm not really sure. I'm currently using the 1067 as a stereo amp until the room is completed. I can always get that firmware upgrade, can't I? What is DoProIIx anyhow?

For 7.1, do I need a center back channel as well? I may be very confused, but I thought 7.1 had front l/r, front center, 2 sides, and rear l/r. Aren't those the 7 speakers of the "7.1" Or is a rear center required as well for the panning of the "center backs" as you wrote above?

Thanks a lot, Craig
                    Yes Craig, if you need it the firmware upgrade is available at the Rotel site available here , just hold the mute button for approximately 5 seconds and it will reveal the firmware version of your 1067.

For 7.1, center backs are considered the rear l/r, therefore no "rear center" is required. This URL should answer any further questions you may have Dolby ProIIx .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"