RSX-1065 Gets Hot and Has Various Problems-Anyone Else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Edward
    • Jan 2003

RSX-1065 Gets Hot and Has Various Problems-Anyone Else?

My friend's 1065 receiver(6 months old) seems to overheat and two things have happened:
    First off, the unit won't respond to commands to adjust volume. This would happen after running it for 4-5 hours at volumes in the 60's.

More recently, after a couple of hours at volumes in the 50's, the receiver's display is generating square boxes instead of letters or numbers.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Rotel is suggesting he send the unit back to them in Mass., so they can look at it. Is there any good way to expedite this repair? I've heard stories of 6 weeks from some companies before a unit was returned, though not Rotel. Perhaps 'Club Rotel' members know who to talk to?

Any thoughts/help is appreciated. Thanks
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

Well my first thought is breathing room. Does the unit have enough airspace around it so that it can breath? Most ROTEL gear does not have cooling fans for 2 reasons really. Electrical interference and noise. Therefore the designs rely heavily on heatsinks and well thought out chassis designs to keep them cool. However the most important aspect of this is not to pack the gear in to tightly. There should be at least 4 inches of airspace around at the sides and top of the unit.

Both problems you mentioned could very well be tied to the overheating issue. If the unit does not meet the 4 inch airspace requirement. Have him remove from it's current location temporarily, place it out in the open, and try running it like that for a while. If the unit still overheats, take it to the dealer for a "once over."

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• ezc
      • May 2003

I agree about cooling space. My 1065 used to get quite warm & do some odd things. I temp. added 2 computer cooling fans to move the hot air out. Once I did that the 1065 worked great. I had only 2.5 in space at the top. I have a boltz rack & I had to order 14" posts to get enough space above the 1065. Now I have about 6" & I have no problems, I removed the computer fans too! Before rasing the shelf the shelf above the 1065 used to get hot too! With the correct cooling space the upper shelf dosnt get even warm.. You amy want to try & run the reciver & have a small fan blowing over the reciver from a distance & see if that helps. & Yes the beast gets hot!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Great input guys. I'll ask the question. How much clearance does he/she have on the unit?

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• kendrid
          • Dec 2002

If you do have to send it back, Rotel is quick (they were for me at least). A few years ago I had to send in my RSP-980 preamp. I had it back in less than two weeks.

------
          Kevin
          ------
          Kevin

Comment

• ZX 6R
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by James Edward
            Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Rotel is suggesting he send the unit back to them in Mass., so they can look at it. Is there any good way to expedite this repair? I've heard stories of 6 weeks from some companies before a unit was returned, though not Rotel. Perhaps 'Club Rotel' members know who to talk to?

Any thoughts/help is appreciated. Thanks
            The Rotel tech. staff isn't huge so most times pieces won't get tied up in beurocracy and end up taking months and months. Obviously the better you can document the problem the quicker they can fix it. If you get really stuck you can probably ask for Tim Wyatt, but it should be fine going in on it's own..... before it comes to that try better ventilation first as everyone has mentioned and make sure the fans are working.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"