X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

Hope I did the right thing

I am about to redo my basement..paint the dark and ugly wood paneling,add recessed lighting and maybe a new rack.So..good time to upgrade.I had been thinking about the Rmb 1095.So yesterday I drove into Boston with my
    Rmb 1075.Since it was less than a year old my dealer gave me 100% value on the 1095.For a $1000,I walked out with the new amp.Actually,I'm sure you know it was carried out on a dolly.I just took it out the van this morning and uggg...what a monster.It is still boxed and I will be hooking it up this evening.Here is my concern...I have the Rsp 1068 which I was using in a 7.1 with the 1075/1070 for amps.There were no hums,loss channels or pops.
    It seems that the higher powered Rotel amps[1080,1095,1090] have had more issues than the lower powered[1070,1075].Someone tell me that the audio gods won't punish me for giving up a perfectly good system just for greed[more power].Also I'm debating on going back to a 5.1 system or should I let the 1070 run the rears?Wish me well.
    Herm
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Murphey's law says that things that can go wrong, will go wrong. The corrilary to this is "the more that can go wrong, the more that will go wrong. It's nearly universal in the audio industry that larger amps seem to have more issues than smaller ones. It's purely a matter of the increased number of internal components and the increased complexity of the power supplies in larger amps.

Did you make a mistake? I doubt it. The number of people with so called "problems" with the 1095 is actually quite small by comparison to the number of 1095s out there. It's just that you tend to hear about the problems more here at Club Rotel because this is one place people flock to to solve their problems. It's that simple. Also, the 1095 is no longer "bleeding edge". It's been around for awhile and Rotel has had the opportunity to wring out any design and manufacturing flaws that may have existed in early units. In spite of reading about a seeming large number of "issues" I recently bought a 1080 to power my fronts. Mine is as close to perfect as a high powered amp can get, in my opinion. It's even quieter than my 1075.

The 1070 should do fine for your rears. And, although you probably won't need it...I am wishing you good luck!
    Last edited by DrJRapp; 31 October 2004, 08:07 Sunday.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As Jerry points out you're likely going to be just fine and using the 1070 to drive the rear surrounds is a great idea.

PS Remember to lift with your knees

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Indeed, your decision seems wise 8) .

Also, I also agree with letting the 1070 run the center backs for 7.1, once you have it setup properly in DoProIIx, you'll never go back to 5.1, it's a very beautiful thing :T .

I had only one regret with 7.1, I had to upgrade my center back speakers (for speaker symmetry), but I certainly am glad I did. Your mileage may vary of course.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

Thanks all...I just needed more reassurance.I have already placed it in it's new home.
          Pics comming soon.Two things are already apparent....
          1.It is most definitely an upgrade over the 1075
          2.I'm not as young as I use to be...Icy-Hot or Ben-Gay?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"