X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

My RB-1070 blew up!!!

I was fiddling with speaker cables behind my B&W 704, and I saw blue spark heard a loud popping noise 8O . It must have been a major arching since it even left a mark on the banana jack. I'm not sure one of the wires actually touched a terminal or not. Anyway, the speaker (right front) went dead. After switching the left and right channel connections at the RB-1070, left side went dead.

Now no sound comes out of right channel and everytime the speaker cable connected to the right channel touches the sperker terminals, it makes popping noise. I've never experienced such problem before. I know RB-1070 is a high current/voltage amp, but I didn't expect it to short out like that. Can anyone explain what might have happened? Do you think there was something wrong with the amp to begin with or was it something that I could have done wrong? I think the amp was just in standby mode, but I may have left the amp running while I was fiddling with the speaker cable.

The amp was less than two month old, and I still have warranty. But this was really a disturbing experience. Does anyone have a clue about what might have happened? Speaker sounds fine (as far as I can tell) when hooked up to my RSX-1056, but I'm wondering if this could have caused any internal damage to my B&W 704.

Also, could I get a new replacement amp from the dealer or is my only option getting it repaired? Thank god I'm still able to get by with RSX-1056 for now.
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

I hope you get through ok with the problem. I always thought that some electronics were Plug and Play, but that's not the case.

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

You probably have blown a fuse or an open resistor in the amp. If the speaker leads short (+ to -) there will be lots of quick current flowing. There is protection circuitry in the amp but normally by the time this reacts, a fuse has blown in the front end. At least it protects youre speakers from a healthy dose of d.c. Although the pop sounds scary you're speaker is probably fine.

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

You probably just have to replace a fuse in your amp. I blew up one cannel of my RB-981 once. I replaced the fuse, and the amp was fine again.

Your speaker will probably not have sustained any damage at all....
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Drew_W
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by theMaximus
          I think the amp was just in standby mode, but I may have left the amp running while I was fiddling with the speaker cable.
          If it was on, that's rather bad. I turn off my amp completely every time I swap cables or do anything like that. You wouldn't rewire your household electrical with the power on would yo?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I try to make a point of unplugging any gear I'm fiddling with, just to be safe.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• theMaximus
              • Jul 2004

I tought putting it in standby mode would be enough since I though no major problem would happen even if the wires did indeed touch something. I had no idea that signals from the music amp would have that much current/voltage to be dangerous. I guess I learned my lesson. It would be very inconvenient to do A-B comparison if I have to unplug my equipment while I'm chaging things, but I guess it is better to be safer than sorry.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                • May 2004

Hopefully it is just a fuse. I doubt that you would get a replacement for this since you have had it a couple of months and it sounds like it was an accident on your part. I doubt you would have to pay for the repair though.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Indeed I agree, I have learned how sensitive these components are, and therefore try to turn them off before making adjustments, i.e. moving speakers, speaker wire placement, etc.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Elmac
                    • Apr 2004

Your speaker will be fine since the short was done on a speaker post.
                    There was no current going through the speaker at that time.
                    You may blowed a cap or resistor when you hear big popping sound. I would smell our amp first, if there is no bed smell its only fuse.
                    Open the cover and check the fuse. Also at that time you will be able to see the damage if there is any.
                    good luck and keep us posted
                    Elmac
                    All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• Bill Blank
                      • Sep 2002

ALWAYS unplug your gear from the outlet when fiddling with ANY connection.

Bill

Comment

• theMaximus
                        • Jul 2004

I took a chance of opening up the amp to see if anything is blown. The only thing I found was a blown fuse. I replaced the blown fuse with a replacement that came with the RB-1070, and I'm back in business :T .

I'll be unplugging my amp before fiddling with anything from now on.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by theMaximus
                          I took a chance of opening up the amp to see if anything is blown. The only thing I found was a blown fuse. I replaced the blown fuse with a replacement that came with the RB-1070, and I'm back in business :T .

I'll be unplugging my amp before fiddling with anything from now on.
                          Good :T

And Good Idea

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• GenesisFreak
                            • May 2004

Nothing like blown fuses in Rotel amps! I had TONS of trouble with fuses blowing (without fiddling with any wires) in my RB-1080. I tried several solutions with no luck. It was such a problem in fact, that I got a replacement RB-1080 from my dealer. The problem continued. It was a common problem among a few members of this forum. I've since upgraded to the RB-1090, and I have never looked back. A piece of advice; if your RB-1070 has a 12 volt trigger, don't use it. Many of us blowing fuses felt this may have been the problem (in the -1080s, at least) and I stopped using mine. Also, I never shut the old amp off...even the new -1090...it is always on. And lastly, like you have heard in this thread many times already, but most importantly: turn off the MAIN power when playing God with the interconnects!

GF

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

For the 1080's there's a different fuse you can use that apparently reduces (or fix's) that issue. Your dealer or Rotel should be able to get you them if its a problem with your unit.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"