Anybody using the multichannel input instead of "direct" for analog sources?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Anybody using the multichannel input instead of "direct" for analog sources?

I just got an email from someone who shall remain anonymous unless he volunteers to come forward and identify himself. :>) Actually he asked a good question that I thought might be of general interest, so I’m posting the answer here in addition to answering the email.

He wants to listen to analog sources entirely in the analog domain, foregoing the "enhancements" available in the digital realm. He knew that regardless of the number of channels used, the RDC-7's multichannel input keeps the signal analog. He was asking about using an external switch box to be able to hook up a DVD-A or SACD player and his high-bux external phono preamp.

The answer is: any of the named inputs with an analog input connection will keep the signal in the analog domain as long as you select "Direct" as the playback mode instead of "Stereo", "Dolby Digital II Music" or one of the DSP modes. In "Direct" mode, the RDC-7 is strictly analog, and performs right up there with dedicated analog preamps. So RDC-7 owners can use the multichannel input for multichannel sources and connect their two channel analog sources to other inputs and select between them at will without having to resort to the use of an external switch box..

Having the convenience of a high quality, remote controlled, analog preamp converged with a superlative surround processor is just another reason so many of us have been so pleased with our purchase of the RDC-7.

Burke

PS -- don’t forget if you do use the multichannel input, then in addition to setting up “multichannel” in the menu, when you actually want to listen to multichannel sources, you need to use the “Audio” button on the remote to toggle between the regular inputs assigned to a named input and the multichannel input. Otherwise, you won't hear the multichannel source material.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • pepar
    • Dec 2002

I've not yet got my HTPC assembled, so I've not yet used the multichannel input. I plan on connecting my Audigy 2 ZS' 7.1 analog output to it. I have, however, "used" the multichanel input to directly feed the test signals from ETF Acoustics software to individual speakers for analyzing my sound. And yes, for a while I could not get it to work until I emailed Onkyo/IR. I really LOVE my RDC-7, but I also see the quirks that some less-enamored owners have complained about.

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
    PS -- don’t forget if you do use the multichannel input, then in addition to setting up “multichannel” in the menu, when you actually want to listen to multichannel sources, you need to use the “Audio” button on the remote to toggle between the regular inputs assigned to a named input and the multichannel input. Otherwise, you won't hear the multichannel source material.
    -
    Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"