• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik LeBeau
    • Nov 2014

Classé cp800 v2 - Digital input sources comparison

Hi
    could somebody give me his opinion.

I am wondering if the files would be treated the same by the classé with these input sources. And what about the flow of the data stream ?

Anyway which will result in better sound :

1 - DS111 Synology NAS - using Ethernet.
    2 - DS111 Synology NAS using USB Back.

3- Better to keep the files on my Imac via ethernet like now.

Which one is best you think ?
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I have tried nas via Ethernet and via usb from my PC and I find them no different. Both streaming from the NAS (also a synology). Can't be bothered trying the NAS USB, do you know if it actually supports 192 with the CP800?

Theoretically it should be best from the Ethernet I think but in practice I don't notice anything

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Sasha99
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Erik LeBeau
      Hi
      could somebody give me his opinion.

I am wondering if the files would be treated the same by the classé with these input sources. And what about the flow of the data stream ?

Anyway which will result in better sound :

1 - DS111 Synology NAS - using Ethernet.
      2 - DS111 Synology NAS using USB Back.

3- Better to keep the files on my Imac via ethernet like now.

Which one is best you think ?
      +1 on Tom's observation, I am using both as well. Biggest benefit of Ethernet is that it could be literally anywhere in the house (up to a 100 meters). USB definitely has a limitation in length, although I am running 10 M long USB cable that sounds identical to Ethernet, no difference, nada -zip...
      So if you do not have a sound degradation penalty I am voting for Ethernet connection. It also provides additional functionality by allowing to send the stream anywhere in the house if you have a streamer elsewhere....from a central storage - very practical and safe (RAID 1 dependent)
      I bought inexpensive Marantz receiver for my second system which I control via JRiver and Ethernet connection.....DLNA at its best.
      Happy listening
      Sasha

Comment

• Erik LeBeau
        • Nov 2014

@Tom
        I read somewhere that the Audio Station from Sinology supports 24/96.

Well I guess if it's to create a close Hifi system then using USB Back of the Classé connected to a NAS box or MAC Mini is better.
        But if the files needs to be available for different devices around the home like a B&W Zeppelin than Ethernet is logically ideal. right.

Comment

• Thumper
          • Apr 2009

I use a QNAP NAS for all my media and a fanless htpc with usb and hdmi out to drive my various AVR/DACs. I like Jriver and plex for that. Just my setup. THere should be no difference in the sound quality given how the CP sends all the bits to the same internal DAC over the same internal connections.

Comment

• gerardhn
            • Jun 2005

Hi erik,

Interesting question. I have same nas, so i tried these possible connections with ds audio.

My opinion.

1 connected over usb. Sound not so powerful, a bit weak. But supports gapples.
            2 connected over lan. Sound better, actually very good. But standard 2 sec,s between tracks.....

Comment

• TomScrut
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Nov 2013

I wish Classe would sort out their streaming, no gapless (autocorrect put hapless in there, quite apt) and I can't seem to seek within a track either
              Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• gerardhn
                • Jun 2005

Update for usb output. I replaced the usb cable. I followed "what hifi" magazine and bought the "affordable" Vertere dfi usb. Sound opened up! Very amazing. Usb to be preferred for ds audio as it plays gapless. Anyway Vertere i can recommend.

Comment

• TomScrut
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Nov 2013

One improvement I have had (although I cannot explain why) is going from Synology media server to using JRiver media server, which I have set to transcode to wav and to use 24 bits. But the similarities between USB and Network remain (JRiver is accessing its own median server to stream so the transcoding etc is still appicable).

On USB I have always used JRMC to play the music but by accessing the Synology media server. The files are still on the NAS but the JR library is watching the networked drive rather than the Synology media server.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"