X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qwerty
    • May 2003

Soon to be a member

Hi all,

Well, I've been deciding on my electronics for a few months now. It's been a roller coaster ride, from an HK receiver to a Rotel one. From a Rotel Separates to using an HK receiver as a pre/pro and adding an amp to it.

Then came yesterday, where a buddy of mine offered me a deal that I just couldn't pass up. It's more than what I had intenionally wanted to spend but I know I would have kicked myself if I didn't jump on it. Without further delay, I'm going to close the deal on an MC-8 today. This will be my first experience with separates and going "high end" in my books. I figured if your going to do something, do it right the first go around and I'll end up spending less in the long run upgrading.

I had a few questions for current Lex owners. What can I expect and what amp should I pair this baby up with. My friend mentioned the Sherbourn 7/2100 amps. How are they?

By the way, they'll be powering up B&W CDM 9NT's, 1NT's and a CNT (no sub yet).

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  • Kevin_McC
    • Jan 2003

Qwerty,

I think you'll be pleased with your decision to go with Lexicon. I was in a similar situation over a year ago when John T and Ricky convinced me to upgrade from a Denon 3300 to the Lexicon MC-1 and I'm glad I did.

My system is used entirely for movies and in my opinion the Lexicon with Logic 7 is the leader in that area. It seems whenever I listen to other non logic 7 systems now I always feel something is missing. I use it(Logic 7) on all sources regardless.

I just traded my MC-1 for the MC-8, but I'm still waiting to get it so I haven't heard it yet. From what I've been reading and discussions with others the MC-8 will be a noticeable jump in performance over the MC-1, so I'm anxious to get it.

Regarding amps there's a lot of good amps available. I guess the factors you need to determine is your budget, power (wattage) requirements, buying new or used. After you determine this I'm sure others will give you some great recommendations.

The Sherbourn gets good ink as well as Parasound, Bryston(Lexicon),Proceed, B&K, Rotel amps to name a few, the list is very big. Your needs as noted above will better determine amp recommendations

Currently I'm using a pair of Harman Kardon Signature 2.1's in my system with pretty good performance. In the future I'd like to get matching Lexicon amps to go with the MC-8.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Congrats on your MC-8s guys! Qwerty, I've been very happy with my Proceed amps paired with Sonus faber speakers. They aren't cheap though, that's for sure. Nor do they show up often used really. In the end, it's all about synergy. It's giong to be speaker dependent to some degree. The MC-8 will provide a very open and airy sound to the amp. But whether you need a warm or more transparent amp is going to depend on your speakers.

Goodluck,
      Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• qwerty
        • May 2003

Thank you for the kind welcome.

After reading your comments, I can't wait till my new toy comes in.

Kevin, so you say you use Logic 7 for all sources? Does that apply even if the DVD has DTS or THX? Now that's impressive. This next week is going to move really slow for me.

I'm gonna take both advice and look into amps more. I'm trying not to break my budget cause I still gotta have left for the plasma.

Lex, I think it was your housecleaning thread and review that nudged me into looking at Lexicons. I've always heard good stuff about them. I currently have the HK AVR8000 in another room and really like the L7 on analog sources. How big a difference is it from this to the Logic 7 from Lexicon? By the way, I saw those Sonus Faber last weekend, and they do look good.

Also, I know it's still a week till I get it but, do you have any setup advice?

Comment

• Kevin_McC
          • Jan 2003

Thanks Lex. Hows the MC-12? I also remember the cleaning thread. I wasn't going to upgrade, but I felt the opportunity slipping away and figured if I was goin do it I better do it now.

Qwerty,

Yes I use Logic 7 on DTS sources as well as THX EX sources. I switched back and forth on Star Wars The Phantom Menance and I preferred Logic 7 applied to the 5.1 THX soundtrack instead of the standard THX EX option.

The MC-8 is going to add alot of new formats that the MC-1 doesn't have, so it should be interesting especially comparing THX Ultra II to Logic 7. John T. was telling me it took him a few minutes just to scroll through all of the format choices.

Lexicon also added some new tweaks and more adjustable crossover settings, so now we can dial in the crossover points even better.

I guess you can tell I'm pretty anxious to get it, as well.

Your going to spend some time with the unit when you first get it. I recommend reading the manual thoroughly. There's a lot of adjustments to make and you'll find yourself tweaking them for the first month or so till you get it the way you like it. After that it's time to kick back and enjoy.

If you want to prepare yourself ahead of time you may want to download the manual from Lexicons website at least you can read it and try to get a head start. Wow I just downloaded it and it's 171 pages! 8O

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Your welcome Lexicon brothers! :B

I was almost an MC-8 brother. I actually started out going to get that one, but the dealer had the MC-12 in stock, I weighed it back and forth, hmmm, wait a few weeks, bird in hand, wait a few weeks, bird in hand. That night, I drove up to get it, lol. He made me a 500 buck better deal on the trade. So, I justified it to myself by saying the unbalanced MC-12 would only cost 500 more than a balanced MC-8. So, the decision was made. No regrets, I won't look back.

I'll be interested in starting some software update threads and such soon, after you guys get yours. I don't have a lot of time for pioneering in that area, but I am interested in it.

I run logic 7 most of the time, you see Qwerty, there's a logic 7 for DTS, DD, and pro-logic. So, you are never without it!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• qwerty
              • May 2003

Wow, each day feels like it's a week while waiting for this thing.

Besides the MC-8 I'm also waiting for the rest of my HT equipment, includeing the speakers I mentioned and just yesterday, I ordered the Pioneer 433CMX Plasma display. Man, I think this is the most I've ever spent in one week.

I really can't wait to listen to the Logic 7.

Comment

• qwerty
                • May 2003

update:

Already got my plasma. My MC-8 will be coming in on wednesday with a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp. Can't wait.

I've already read through the entire manual.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

qwerty, your such a geek. :LOL: The anticipation builds...

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                    • Jan 2003

Qwerty,

It looks like you'll have your MC-8 setup and running before I even see mine. My unit is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday, but I'll be away the entire week, so I won't get to set it up until Monday the 30th.

I haven't seen my system looking this empty in a long time. I took out the MC-1, Sony TA-P900ES and my Rotel phono amp. Returned the MC-1 to the dealer today, boxed up the TAP and put the phono amp a side.

It looks like I'll be re-arranging most of the components, cabling and rack once I get back.

Comment

• qwerty
                      • May 2003

There here, the entire system finally all came in. Here are the pics as promised

http://community.webshots.com/album/77858621lnssEV

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Qwerty, looks great! It would seem that you are a little space tight, true? It would be nice if you could spread your mains out some and get them off the wall, and away from the cabinet, but if you can't, you can't. What speakers are those? I'm not real sure right off...

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• qwerty
                          • May 2003

Yeah, definitely tight on space, all this on a 12x13 room. The speakers are B&W CDM 9NT's and CDM CNT center.

Man, I can't stop playing with the MC-8.

I'm still tweaking with speaker crossover settings and listening modes. You were abolutely right, the Logic 7 is incredible. I've always expected it to be good, but it still impressed me.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Ahh good good, another Lexicon smile. :B Congrats on your system!

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• qwerty
                              • May 2003

Lex,

Are you using a universal remote to work with your system? The reason I ask is because I'm having trouble learning the Volume up/down from the Lex remote to my universal one. I've tried quickly pressing once to learn and it works when you want to raise/lower the volume one decible, but if I hold the vol up/down button, it still only sends out one signal rather than continuously send the signal to raise the volume. I've also tried to learn the function by pressing and holding the vol up/down while learning, but this only results to it being learned for how long you held the button. So if I was to hold the vol key for three seconds and learn it, when I press the vol key on the universal, it's as if I held that button for three seconds.

I hope I'm making sense to you. Any ideas?

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                                • Jan 2003

Qwerty,

Nice system! Since you've had a few days with your new toys, what do you think?

I just plugged everything in and started tweaking my MC-8 today and I'm already impressed. I've got some more work to do or should I say playing?

More to come once I've had a chance to get everything dialed in and functional.

Comment

• Prozakk
                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Kevin_McC
                                  Currently I'm using a pair of Harman Kardon Signature 2.1's in my system with pretty good performance.
                                  I have a 2.1(center/surround) & a 1.5(l/r mains).

I plan on upgrading the power cords. I hear that on the 2.1, it will come to life by doing such! :T

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"