X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Beavers
    • Aug 2000

Time to turn in my Lex decoder ring :-(

I come to the clubhouse with my Lex decoder ring and MC-1 hat in hand. I have put up for sale the MC-1. I'll be in search of a new clubhouse to hang my hat at in the next month or two. Right now it's looking like either a Meridian 568 or Krell Standard. You ask why? The decision was based on events surrounding my recent selling of my dedicated two channel rig; the Plinius 8150i. I was used to a certain "flavor" of two-channel sound, and I'm now in search of a pre-pro that comes closer to that then the MC-1.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

John, why did you sell your 2 channel setup? Just curious. If it's none of my beezwax, just lemme know.

Sorry to see you leave the club. sniff. We might do a club Krell, if we have at least 1 user, lol. Meridian has been considered as well. All I need to know is we have some demand and they will be established!

Goodluck in your quest for audio psychosis, I mean nirvana. :B

Lex

Comment

• John Beavers
      • Aug 2000

Had to sell the two channel due to Mike Knapp's visit to California He pointed out what he thought was a room hump at 40hz. Sure enough it was a +15 spike. After getting the BFD equalizer and hooking it to the sub, putting my mains to small, crossed at 80hz, I discovered how the music is supposed to sound. Mike did some switching back & forth so I could get a comparison. How I could have thought that muddy musical mess was good is now beyond me. So, the good news, no more muddy bass, the bad...my mains have to remain crossed at 80hz, and my sub has to be in the mix. This effectively neutralized the pre-amp on the Pliniuis. Having sold that this week I am now in a decision quandry. I've been told that all's I'd need to get back that quality 2 channel sound is a pre-amp with the unity gain feature. This is tempting but I'm also looking at a solution from Tag McLaren, the AV32-R pre-pro combined with the DPA-32R for 2-channel analog. Considering the genius behind these products was also the man over at Lexicon for 13 years, Buzz Goddard, I would still sorta be in the Lexicon family

Comment

• kenh
        • Sep 2000

I knew it the Knappster got to you, he's not coming to my place I might want to sell my stuff which I have no desire too. what kind of speakers and amps do you have? what is your biggest entertainment music or video? the Lex is the best for Video, but some people think its 2 channel is sup par. from some of your previous post you like the Nova maybe you should give it another listen. also as soon as you sell it Lex they will come out with a dynamite processor. good luck in you endevers

Comment

• John Beavers
          • Aug 2000

KenH,

Speakers are Dynaudio Contour 3.3's, Center & 1.3 MKII. My sub is a Velodyne HGS12.

I will be trying out the Casa Nova again, if I sell my MC-1. My buddy still has it available, he has yet to complete his bedroom HT. And I'll need something to tide me over till the Tag McLaren stuff is available for it's audition.

A good portion of my HT time is spent with Music DVDs, and the the bulk of my entertainment time is spent with music in general.

Since the AV32-R pre-pro runs native at 96k and even the A/D conversion runs at 96k, I'd say this has a good possibility of being enough of a dynamite processor to satisfy my needs for the forseeable future.

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

John, all I can say is you got the bug bad man! lol.

Enjoy whatever you decide upon.

Glad to see Buzz get back to high fidelity too.

Lex

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"