X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darrel McBane
    • Dec 2001

Integra RDC-7 help

I posted this on HTF and someone linked me to here so I thought I'd post it here as well.

I'm looking at replacing my Acurus Act-3. I've been reading the review from The Perfect Vision magazine Sept/Oct issue and the online manual of the Integra Reasearch RDC-7 Digital A/V Controller . On paper this is an incredible processor. Has anyone had any experience with the RDC-7 as far as setup, sound in music and it's various modes in HT? I'm planning on checking one out today and was wondering what others have to say based on their experience. What is a fair price on the RDC-7?
    Thanks.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Welcome to the HT Guide and Club Integra. You've come to the right place for discussion of the Integra Research RDC-7! The RDC-7 is not only great on paper, it is great in use in a real life system, as well. And we're happy to be able to tell you about our experiences with it.

With its vast array of enticing features, and many user-selectable options, the dealer warned me that this unit would require a lot of set up. But I didn't see "set up" of the RDC-7 as a major obstacle. In fact, I had the major stuff connected and configured within about an hour after unpacking it, although the "fine tuning" went on intermittently for an extended period. For instance, I didn't wait to enter radio station call letters into the display before I started listening to music. :>) (But it was very easy to do, once I got around to it.) The On Screen Display (OSD) and set up menu system (which you have probably read about in the manual) are easy to navigate and use.

Right away, I tried out a few demo DVD selections to confirm this unit's pedigree as a first rate surround sound processor. It does a sensational job on DD and DTS 5.1. With the upgrade to Dolby Prologic II (standard in currently shipping units) it brings new life to two channel soundtracks. There are a lot of good reasons it got Stereophile Guide To Home Theater's "AAA" rating (a level it shared in its category only with two much pricier Meridian models). In addition to its rock-solid and effective surround processing, they have a direct analog 7.1 passthrough for DVD-Audio, with provision for a firewire digital connection when that standard is finalized. I also appreciate having a remote-selectable "direct" mode for every other input (a feature lacking in some of the competition). My positive first impressions have been confirmed by six months of almost daily use - this processor "does it all" - and does it all superbly.

And I've replayed quite a number of musical selections of a wide range of musical genres that I have been familiar with for years (in some cases decades) - so I know how they sound on a wide variety of systems. They all sound absolutely sensational via the Integra -- full dynamics, detail, air and space around the individual instruments, expansive but not exaggerated soundstage -- and I've been listening for several hours a day with NO STRAIN, NO FATIGUE -- just pure enjoyment. The RDC-7 would be worth buying just as a high quality two channel audiophile preamplifier. It works well with other high quality gear to provide a richly satisfying high end musical experience at a reasonable price. That it also includes state-of-the-art processing for the latest HT modes is icing on the cake for me.

Although this unit has its own AC-3 RF demod input (for laser disc Dolby Digital), it also accepts the output from my Lexicon external demod unit (which was a problem with a competing model), so I can hook up both my LD players without having to use a Y-adapter on the AC-3 input. And it has a decent phono section which would probably be more than fine for casual listening and at least adequate for critical listening, and will certainly be OK for my 78 rpm turntable -- but even though the phono input sounds pretty good, I still prefer the sound I get via the Lehmann Black Cube as the phono stage. (Plenty of inputs, so using that too is no problem either.)

On CD and LP I am hearing special details not heard before on some favorite recordings that do not distract, but rather add to the richness of the presentation and the fun of listening. And movie soundtracks are better than ever -- a more cohesive surround sound field than I have had in my HT before. It also has a top notch FM tuner, which bests the performance of any other I've tried in my system, separate or built in to a receiver. With a good antenna, it makes radio a truly viable listening option.

I couldn't be more pleased with the RDC-7. It seems to have it all and do it all right. (With the singular exception of flexible x-over in its bass management, which adheres to the THX-standard. But there is still the possibility they might change the bass management options in a future software update.) It is an exceptional value even at its full list price of $4,000, matching or beating the performance and features of units costing up to twice or three times its price. But discounts can be had, although that seems to vary according to circumstances (such as when a particular authorized dealer is having its annual "clearance sale"). But in any case, you just can't go wrong with this gear - it is a joy to use and a pleasure to listen to hour after hour, day after day.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Darrel McBane
      • Dec 2001

Thanks for the informative response Burke. I had a chance to see one today and this is quit a sophisticated piece of equipment. This is on the top of my list and it's going to take something very special from Mondial to take it off the top. I had hoped that Klipsch/Mondial would offer a trade-up option for my Acurus act-3 for the newest product that is on the horizon. But I just can't see how the RDC-7 could be bettered.

Comment

• jakermc
        • Nov 2001

Darrel -

I upgraded to the RDC-7 from an Act-3 myself. I can tell you the RDC-7 BLOWS AWAY the Acurus in terms of sound quality. The Acurus was a solid performer three years ago, and not having auditioned any processors in a while, I never new what I was missing.

Ergonomically, the RDC-7 is also steller. Despite all the extra features, it is even easier to set-up and operate then the Act-3. The Act-3 only wins with bass management, but the compromise I made in x-over settings only hurts me a little bit in stereo mode. (No extra help from the sub in stereo mode, though my mains go down to 35hz.)

I could rave a lot more, but Burke said it pretty well. I would recommend you give up on the Mondial/Klipsch upgrade promises. If you follow the forum on Klipsch's website, you'll see that they have basically come out and said that they will not have the Soundstage II available for a while. They also said that the Act-3 could not be upgraded at a reasonable price (physically impossible). Also remember the horrible track record they have on delivering on their promised dates. Besides, with new Act-3's being sold on onecall.com for $799, they aren't in a position to offer any kind of significant credit for a trade-in.

Comment

• Leslie
          • Sep 2001

I can't add to Burke's raves (except to agree), but thought I'd say that I had no difficulty hooking up or getting the RDC-7 up and running (and I'm female -- but I DO read instruction manuals). I really love this pre-pro and now wonder why I dithered around so long before buying it (had to do with a salesman that irritated the *** out of me).
          Leslie

Comment

• Darrel McBane
            • Dec 2001

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I would like to try and sell my Act-3 and Denon TU-1500RD AM/FM tuner to clear room first. I plan on taking a second look at the Integra over the holiday. I know the CES show is coming up in January and seeing what new items come out of it will also give me a better idea where I'm going.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"