X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris lowe
    • Sep 2011

RE: Best Integra Receiver for B&W speakers

Am buying 2 B&W CM8s for fronts, a B&W CMC2 for center channel, and B&W ASW610 subwoofer all for use as a HT setup. My question is which Integra receiver would you recommend. I sincerely appreciate and respect the help and expertise available here. I am having fun but am not knowledgable. However, I am learning...
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

B & W speakers have a reputation for soaking up current like Bounty soaks up spills. I don't have personal experience with the CM8 , but I have seen a pair of 801s clipping circuit activate with 500 watts each of tube amplification.
    Last edited by Alaric; 21 January 2013, 22:06 Monday.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Alaric
      B & W speakers have a reutation for soaking up current like Bounty soaks up spills. I don't have personal experience with the CM8 , but I have seen a pair of 801s clipping circuit activate with 500 watts each of tube amplification.
      This is true, but 801 and CM8 are quite different..

May I ask what your price range is?
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• chris lowe
        • Sep 2011

Got it, many thanks for the insight!

Comment

• chris lowe
          • Sep 2011

My price range is under $1200, if feasible.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Did you ever buy a new receiver? All this time I'm sure you did.
            Curious as I just noticed your thread.

I'm sure it's to late but honestly with the speaker you purchased and Integra was your choice , I would go with a DTR80.3 or a DRT70.3. The DTR50.3 is the lowest I would go but I wouldn't actually spec it or use it with CM8's.

I'm not actually sure I would use a Integra either to be completely honest. I would probably look into Pioneer Elite SC models , NAD , Rotel or Marantz.

The full reason to spend the money on CM8's is to have a killer 2 channel system with home theater. Dual purpose if you will. CM8's sound better and better the better gear you put behind them. They are amazing speakers and desire great gear.

So how did you do ?

Comment

• chris lowe
              • Sep 2011

Sorry for the delayed response to your question. I went with the Integra dtr-50.3. However, am now thinking I may need to upgrade to the 70.3 . Would it make a meaningful difference for HT or just 2Channel listening?

Your opinions about this or other options would really, really be appreciated, as I simply don't have the knowledge you all have. Please share that knowledge and expertise if you would.

Also, up graded TV to Sharp Elite Pro 70x5fd. Need opinion on set up. For HT should receiver be set on pass through mode or what? Pls excuse my ignorance.
              Last edited by chris lowe; 14 August 2012, 14:03 Tuesday.

Comment

• chris lowe
                • Sep 2011

Please someone respond. Help educate this novice!

Comment

• chris lowe
                  • Sep 2011

I give up. Looks like there is no interest in educating/helping me, so I will thank you all and wish you well, as I seek help else where..

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chris lowe
                    I give up. Looks like there is no interest in educating/helping me, so I will thank you all and wish you well, as I seek help else where..
                    Well, Chris; you should understand that it is still summer (not much longer though) and I know most are spending more time out of the home and with family than playing here at HT Guide. :W

As to your question I have no real experience with either model. I also haven't any with your speakers. I can offer this, only you can know if you are happy with the sound and features of your equipment. If you feel either is lacking "maybe" a change is needed.

The most important things to know from the begining is, the ceiling of your budget and what you would like to accomplish within that. You seem to have those done.

You also have yet to list (unless I've missed it) what the actual problem with your current setup is???

People hear are eager to help and learn, which is why we are here. :T
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Sorry for the delayed response to your question. I went with the Integra dtr-50.3. However, am now thinking I may need to upgrade to the 70.3 . Would it make a meaningful difference for HT or just 2Channel listening?

Your opinions about this or other options would really, really be appreciated, as I simply don't have the knowledge you all have. Please share that knowledge and expertise if you would.

Also, up graded TV to Sharp Elite Pro 70x5fd. Need opinion on set up. For HT should receiver be set on pass through mode or what? Pls excuse my ignorance.
                      Yes it would make a difference for both. You get a more powerful amp and more features for other things.
                      I like the 50.3 as I think it has plenty of power for most systems. I however never mated it with B&W. Years ago I have ran B&W speakers off of Integra receivers and I was never satisfied with the results. I also feel the new .3 and the new .4 models are the very best Integra ever has been.
                      For the speaker package you own , I would suggest going separates. I suggest the Awesome DHC80.3 Integra preamp with a killer 5 or 7 channel amp like a NAD , used B&K Ref S2 series , or even Rotel RMB series. You could try out the new digital amps as well.
                      I think this would be a better upgrade then just going with the 70.3. If I had to choose a new Integra receiver , I would go with the DTR70.4 or wait and see what the DTR80.4 is going to bring but thats not going to be out for a while.

Comment

• chris lowe
                        • Sep 2011

First, let me humbly apologize for my somewhat rude rely. As an explanation, not an excuse, I was in the middle of what has turned into 4 major back surgeries which were not going and have not gone very well and my frustration was misdirected. As a result of the surgeries,I have not checked and really reviewed your kind messages until now.
                        Being basically housebound for the past 3 years, I have depended on my A/V setup, mostly HT use and some music. for entertainment. As it turned out I am in sync with your suggestions to a large degree in the livingroom, I think-but you tell me please. Here is where I am now.
                        Living room: B&W CM9 speakers With CMC2 center,two CM! rears, ASW 10CM subwoofer with Integra DHC80.3 pre pro, Rotel RMB1575 AMP, Oppo-103 BlueRay/CD player, and Sharp Elite Pro 70X5FD TV. I tried the Rotel RSP-1572 and loved the sound, but the thing had a mind of it's own( continual one off and other problems) and hence am about to try the Integra DHC80.3, which I belive Dmantis said that he thought would do well.
                        Also moved the two B&W CM8 speakers to my bedroom with CMC2 Center,two CM1 rears, ASW610 Subwoofer, Integra DTR50.3 Receiver,Oppo-103 BluRay/CD player, Sharp Elite Pro 60X5fd TV. It sounds pretty good, but would appreciate your repeating any suggestions.
                        As I don't have the wherewithal to get out now and try different things nor am I phyically able to do any set up work , I am working with a local A/V store; but trying to learn for general knowledge and future reference to become more like you all, i.e. I hope I will heal more with time and become more of a DIYer or at least an informed consumer. Sorry if all this is a bit disjointed-Bottom line, please make any suggestions and thank you very much.

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Let me know how you make out , your building a pretty nice system there.

Comment

• chris lowe
                            • Sep 2011

Thank you, Dmantis. Will do.
                            May I ask what you think of power conditioners; and if you like them,
                            what you would suggerst for my two systems. Do you think that they enhance audio and vodeo quality as many claim?
                            Now I have just good quality surge protectors.

Thanks

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Thank you, Dmantis. Will do.
                              May I ask what you think of power conditioners; and if you like them,
                              what you would suggerst for my two systems. Do you think that they enhance audio and vodeo quality as many claim?
                              Now I have just good quality surge protectors.

Thanks
                              A high quality surge doesn't improve anything , what it does is retain what your gear can do by eliminating noise in the service. Noisy power is a problem in the USA and if you would like your gear to perform to it's peak , a high quality power conditioner is key.

Another problem is brown outs under voltage and over voltage protection. Mico processors are in many pieces of gear today and can't handle voltage changes well. HDMI is a huge problem with poor voltage.

I like APC and Panamax. I also think if your going to spend good money on one , get the Panamax 5400 , it's the first on in the series that has Voltage Regulation. This is a huge benefit to your system.

I have both Panamax and APC in my system. I use Battery back up.
                              What I have done to supply my gear is I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit and a PS Audio power port.

Comment

• chris lowe
                                • Sep 2011

Got it! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

It puts me way ahead of where I was.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"