X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris lowe
    • Sep 2011

Opinion needed on B&W CM8 speakers

For HT use in a room with the viewing area about 14 i/2'X14' which is open and extends out on the right side into the dining area. The ceiling is 9'. The TV(Panasonic TC-P55GT30 and Panasonic BluRayDMP-BDT310) is in the middle of front wall and the seating area(sofa) is directly across the room against the opposite wall about 14' away. What do you think of a pair of B&W CM8s for the front speakers, B&W CMC2 for a center channel. and ASW ASW610 subwoofer. Am concerned about as wide as possible sound stage and being able to turn it up fairly high. We love to watch movies and I love watching football and college basketball.
    Unfortunately, due to restraints of the condo construction, surround sound is not viable unless it is wireless, which I am told is not perfected yet. Have asked on the Integra forum which reciever they would recommend. My question is what do you think of this setup, do you have better/different speaker/ receiver suggestions. I am a novice, but I am learning and sincerely appreciate the knowledge and expertise available here. Thanks for your consideration
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

chris lowe,

I know there was some other posts in the original posting of this thread. I agree with the observations that the 600 series is a really good line for HT. A lot of bang for the buck. That line is also better suited to be driven by a good receiver, which you are considering.

A couple of observations:

* Having an open side to a room will definitely cause sound to leak, especially the bass. Definitely consider a powerful sub to help fill the space. I also agree that there are other choices for subs in the market. If the budget allows, consider the JL Audio F110. I have the F112 and it is spectacular.

* Another item to look at is separate electronics. Receivers are nice, but the one thing they tend to lack is current delivery to the speakers. Emotiva has very affordable, good performing products. You can get a 3 channel amp (200 watts per channel) for $700. And a pre-amp/processor for $500. A very nice combo that will be MUCH better than almost any receiver.

* The CM solution is definitely nice. But spreading out the funds across speaker, sub and electronics will give you very nice system synergy and performance.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• chris lowe
      • Sep 2011

Huge help! many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

+1 for HTSteve's comments..

I didn't want to mention the Emotiva stuff because I have been recommending it so much lately I am starting to sound like I work for the company.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• chris lowe
          • Sep 2011

Thank you for doing so, as I am a noivice at this. Sharing your knowledge and experience puts me miles ahead of where I otherwise would be.

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            +1 for HTSteve's comments..

I didn't want to mention the Emotiva stuff because I have been recommending it so much lately I am starting to sound like I work for the company.
            LOL... Same here!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"