X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Got the Studios, now what.

OK, I have really been doing my homework in the last few months. Listening and Reading about different speakers. Sorting out the ones I like from the others. Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of used Revel Ultima Studios.I wanted something that wouldn't overpower my 14X19X7.5 room. Although they will be used for HT purposes the main reason I'm getting them is 2 channel. Along with the Studios I got the Voice center and a pair of the Embraces. The center was important because timbre matching the front soundstage is a must.

With 87 db sensitivity my Rotel RB1070 isn't going to be able to do the Studios justice. I thought about using it to bi-amp the center. Was hoping to get some good advice on a good new/used 2 channel amp in the $2500 range that would work good with the fronts. I'm going to need a 2 channel pre and a source also, but one thing at a time. I'v had my Polks for about 6 years, and I am hoping to get that WOW factor when I hook up the Revels. Will I?
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

First off congrads on the new speakers. Revel makes some very nice speakers and I personally like em myself..

By your post I'm not 100% clear if you want to do home theater, 2 channel or both so I 'll give you some advise.

Home theater use.... With those speakers and your budget finding a nice B&K rev50 S2 and a Reference 200.5 or 7 if you want to go 7.1 would work well. You could also go with the ref200.5 and a ref200.2 which the 200.2 would power your fronts for when you want to just listen to 2 channel. This would give you the sorta best of both worlds. Also look into Rotel RSp1098 preamp and a rmb1095 5 channel amp. Add a rb1080 for more power for the fronts for 2 channel. They also have a rb1090 which is an awesome 2 channel amp but in my experience it also adds certain dynamic range to the mains in home theater mode that the rmb1095 will not keep up with. I can go into that further if you have questions on what that means.

For 2 channel only use I suggest looking into Krell Intergraded amps. they sound great , have plenty of power and are not overly expensive used. There is also Mark Levinston which used isn't that bad but they make a killer intergraded amp, I think it's called the 595 or something I forget off hand but it's killer. I used to install it alot when I worked for a company who carried Mark Levinston.

Good luck with your speakers, I think the rb1070 is a great amp but with those speakers getting more juice is a good idea. Not for louder but for clearer effortless sound at all volumes.

Dan

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

Thanks Dan. I will be integrating the Ultima's into my HT. But they will also be used for 2 channel purposes. That's why I want a 2 channel pre with a HT bypass. I can use the Rotel 1070 bi-amped for the Voice center which should do the job. My rotel 1075 will be running a pair of Embraces and a pair of S30's. If I can get away with a 200wpc power amp for the Studios, that would be nice. There is alot of good amps in that power range. BTW, My speaker will be here tomorrow. :B

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Cool man lets hear about it when you get them all hooked up.

Comment

• krellfan
          • Jul 2005

I have a similar Revel setup with Studios, Voice, two pairs of Embrace and B15 sub. I drive the front three channels with three Krell FPB 350MCX monoblocks. The two pairs of Embraces are driven with A Proceed Amp 5.

A few people have told me that Pass amps match well with the Studios.
          I will be borrowing a friend's Pass lab amp to try in a few weeks and see how it compares tot he Krell. There are a few used Pass Labs X250 and X250.5 on Audiogon that are selling at very attaractive prices at $2000 to $3300.

I have the Pass Labs X1 preamp and it's a great unit.

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Pass Labs. The X250 seems to be a pretty good amp. Should have plenty of power for the Studio's. After listening to them for a couple of weeks I have come to the conclusion that they do need more power than the RB1070 can put out. And the louder I play them the better they sound. I'm not used to speakers that sound better when pushed. My Polks would start to give out when they were really being driven. Man, I have some major upgraditis going on right now. :B

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DelRay
              I would like to hear your thoughts on the Pass Labs. The X250 seems to be a pretty good amp. Should have plenty of power for the Studio's. After listening to them for a couple of weeks I have come to the conclusion that they do need more power than the RB1070 can put out. And the louder I play them the better they sound. I'm not used to speakers that sound better when pushed. My Polks would start to give out when they were really being driven. Man, I have some major upgraditis going on right now. :B
              Polk LSi series like more power. The Rti series get harsh when played to loud. I used to own the Lsi 15's along with the entire HT package. Killer nice speakers .

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"