X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron526
    • Oct 2006

avr520 & 4 ohms

Recently attended a demo at Hi-Fi House in Jenkinton, PA. Lots of nice stuff and lots of interesting info. Oh, and by the way I won a pair of SF Concertino Domus speakers. Have not picked them up yet, can't wait!
    Currently have a B&W setup with 602s3 in the front, 601s3 rears, lcr60 center ( I know) and asw600. My question is-are 602s or the SFs a better speaker for stereo listening? I know my ears will be the final judge but am curious to hear some opinions.
    Will the avr520 drive the 4 ohm SFs efficiently? Is there any way to A/B the frontspeakers.
    Thanx Ron526
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello Ron526, Welcome to the Guide!

I won a pair of SF Concertino Domus speakers.
    Wow! Congrats on winning a fantastic set of speakers. Though I do not own them myself, I've auditioned them and was very pleased with what I heard. They look great too.

As to which would be better for 2 ch between the SF's or B&W's, my guess would lean towards the Sonus Faber's. However, this is an assumption. You may want to PM Lex/Doug (HT Guide owner) and ask him. He is a BIG SF fan and owns a few of the as well.

As to the ohm issue, I would guess that the H/K would drive them fine at moderate levels. Harman/Kardon's have high current amps so I really don't see a problem. As long as you don't push them too hard. If you like playing at high/extreme levels a better amp would serve you justice. Also, a dedicated amp may realize more control and fidelity.

Congrats again and let us know what you think of them once they arrive.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ron526
      • Oct 2006

What about A/B

Hi JohnH,
      Thanx for the input. It is in my great game plan to add a power amp as the first phase of upgrading. Thinking of adding a Rotel 1075 or money and WAF permiting a Rotel 1077. Will use the H/K 520 as pre/pro till more funds are available.
      Will there be much of an audible gain to justify the upgrade?
      Thanx again, Ron

PS I don't even know if the SFs are Black or other finish.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Will there be much of an audible gain to justify the upgrade?
        Ron,

That's hard to say. One person may hear a drastic difference. Another may hear no difference at all. You must audition the amps (preferably with your speakers and better even at your home) to see if it is actually worth the investment.

One of the great things about this hobby, if you cannot hear a difference, it's much cheaper to enjoy it! :B
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• infinitiqx4
          • Jan 2003

I have an AVR 525 and Polk LSi15s which are 4ohm speakers. I have driven them off the receiver and they sounded very good. The HK receivers have very good amps built in. I use a parasound 2205 to drive them now. But honestly, at normal listening volumes or for home theater usage I think it would be difficult to tell the difference.

Comment

• Ron526
            • Oct 2006

Infinitiqx4,
            Thanx for the input. You are correct my amp runs normal temp, and normal volume as it did with 602's.
            The sound with the SF's is different. If I had to choose which I like better it'd be a tossup. Both are somewhat different but both are still totally enjoyable.
            The SF's seem nicer at low to lo-mid levels. The B&W's sound more "there" at mid to hi levels, but also enjoyable at lower levels.
            I feel like I'm babbling but I really am enjoying both sets of speakers.
            The SF's seem a bit more refined. and the B&W's seem more normal? Maybe that's the way it should be considering their price points.

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

Ron,
              I bought my AVR 520 brandnew a while ago and its been the one component I haven't changed out. Honestly when I brought it to my local dealer to upgrade to a Rotel 1068 Pre I couldn't hear a difference, so I passed. I would buy the best amp you can afford and live happliy ever after with it! Actually when I first got into B&W's about 4 years ago I started with a set of 602's and the AVR 520 it made for a good combo but once I added a amp (Rotel RB-1080) things really opened up. Honestly I don't think you will have a problem running it at 4 ohms, but is it ideal for the best sound, probably not. Have fun with it.
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• Ron526
                • Oct 2006

Hi Dan,
                I purchased my 520 from HK as a refurb. My plan is to eventually add a Rotel 1085 or 1076. The cost of the 1077 is a bit to high.
                Thanx for the feedback.
                Oh-a little tweak-I replaced the silvered jumpers between the amp/preamp sections with 8 guage copper wire. Probably made no difference but I feel good about "my" tweak.

Comment

• dan87951
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Ron526
                  Hi Dan,
                  I purchased my 520 from HK as a refurb. My plan is to eventually add a Rotel 1085 or 1076. The cost of the 1077 is a bit to high.
                  Thanx for the feedback.
                  Oh-a little tweak-I replaced the silvered jumpers between the amp/preamp sections with 8 guage copper wire. Probably made no difference but I feel good about "my" tweak.
                  How did you still copper wire in there it wouldn't work for me. You must have some pretty still wire in order for it to work? I'm actually missing one of my silver jumpers..
                  dan87951
                  audio guru

Comment

• Ron526
                    • Oct 2006

Hi Dan,
                    I purchsed one foot of copper wire from Home Depot. I formed the wire
                    around the handle of a small hammer. I put shrink tubing around each wire
                    and inserted the into the RCA (female) connectors. It was a snug fit.
                    I'm almost positive it was #8 wire (solid copper).

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"