THX Ultra 2 Upgrade for RDC 7 - Is it worth it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

THX Ultra 2 Upgrade for RDC 7 - Is it worth it?

Hi,

Im looking at purchasing a RDC 7 and then would upgrade it to THX Ultra 2.

Has anyone had this done? Did you notice an improvement? Is it worth it? Would you do it again?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

If you are looking at an RDC-7 that was produced late in its production run, it would have already been upgraded and the price would presumably reflect that. On the other, if you re looking at an earlier one, the cumulative upgrade brings a host of worthwhile enhancements, including selectable crossover points for bass management, more control over dialog synching, ProLogic II as well as the THX Ultra 2 improvements.

Having bought my RDC-7 early on, and having lived with the unit both before and after the upgrade, I can say that for me the upgrade was worth it, and if I were faced with a choice between no upgrade and upgraded, I'd go with upgraded.

Either way, I still think the RDC-7 is a terrific unit, and although some who have moved on to the RDC-7.1 prefer its sound and features, I am still quite pleased with the sound of the RDC-7, including with music, and am also content with its features, not the least of which is the fact that it is paid for. :>) I have means of switching HDMI/DVI/component sources externally so I don't miss the lack of HDMI switching in the RDC-7.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• creggers
      • Jan 2005

Burke,
      What do you use for switching HDMI sources ?

I have means of switching HDMI/DVI/component sources externally so I don't miss the lack of HDMI switching in the RDC-7.

Enjoy!

Burke[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

What do you use for switching HDMI sources ?
        The video display itself. I prefer direct switching at the display over switching via a pre/pro or receiver. When I eventually get more hi-def sources than my then-current display can control, I'd still rather have a high quality external video switcher than route the video signal through the audio controller. (That's what I did in the old days of S-Video when my large screen TV set had fewer S-Video inputs than the number of sources I had at the time.)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"