X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Need crossover help

I have a B&K Ref 50 S1 and in stereo without the subwoofer on I can't get good bass extension. I have my speakers on large and the bass is still weak.I have the crossover settings on default which is THX settings. I don't have SATS I have speakers that can produce bass. Any advise would be appreciated and how do some of have yours set.

thanks
    Blake
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

What speakers do you own? That would help alot.

Dan

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

Dan, I forgot about this thread after 24hrs of no response sorry for not checking. I have Kef 201's monitors that give great bass in my two channel setup with Rotel pre/power, but with the Ref 50 in stereo the bass is weak without an sub also the same with my Kef Xq5 floorstanders. I always have this problem with surround processors. As long as i've had ht setups you would think I know how to set up the bass but it's never right. its either good in ht and not in stereo or v versa. I would like to know the settings on your ref 50? I know every system is different.
      Blake

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

If you go into the setting and set all your speakers to large, turn off the ones you don't have and all the bass will go to the proper channel.

If you are only running stereo, meaning 2 speakers, set the fronts to large and turn off all other channel including the sub.

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

Dan, I do have everything set to large and tryed turning everything off, but i'm not sure how to set the crossover in the B&K. Right now I have it set at default which is the THX settings at 80 Hz. I have all my speakers set at 75 db with the sound meter including the sub which seems to be a little low for movies but perfect for music. On the sub itself the rolloff is set at 55Hz the low level at three quarters and hi level at a quarter. Should the rolloff on the sub be set the same as the crossover on the B&K that is set at 80 Hz? You have the settings on the pre then on the sub it confuses me they seem to contradict. I just hate getting up to change the sub all the time it would be nice to have it set once for everything.

thanks for any help
          Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

comeup,

I don't believe the Ref 50 to be the issue as far as the bass output. I too have a Ref 50, and my bass is very, very good with music and movies. I do however think that you need to turn the crossover on the subwoofer to it's highest setting. By doing so, you will allow the processor to totally control the crossover duties and not have the two crossovers cascade each other. Give this a try and let us know if it helps.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

John, I put the rolloff to its highest level and changed the crossover setting in the B&K from 80Hz to 55Hz and left the Hi level and low level on the sub as they were .

I believe the speakers drop down to 45Hz i'll double check ,but this seems to be working so far. The next thing I will do is reset the speakers and sub with SPL meter and take another listen.

John, i'm curious how do you have your CROSSOVER/LFE settings set on your B&K? I know every room is different just trying to understand how it all works. In those settings it has a Hi pass and a Low pass is that the same as my low level and hi level on my sub?

Thanks for the help so far I think i'm starting to get it.
              Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm glad you are making progress. I crossover my speakers at 80hz. I use this for two reasons. 1) My speakers are THX so, they mandate such. 2) Most of the reviewers in all the big audio mags (and online ) seem to think that it is the best general freq to x-over at. Though as you stated, room and personal taste will play a role. That said, 80hz works great for me.

Thanks for the help so far I think i'm starting to get it.
                No problem. We are here to help each other. Let us know how it tuns out.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Oh I almost forgot to address your LFE question. I left mine set at 0.0

As far as the HP/LP levels, mine are set to default of 80hz. Again, I run a THX setup. And use my THX processing quite a bit. And yes it is the same as on your sub.

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

John, It sounds good I finally can hear some mid/bass clearly without using the sub, also I notice the bass is better in direct mode on the B&K.

As I write i'm listening to Queen Latifa's Jazz album that I did not know about until a few days ago I didn't know she could sing like that WoW. Its been out for a couple of years.

I guess i'll be breaking in my bass drivers since i've never really used them should be interesting anyway thanks for the help again.
                    Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Sounds like you're on your way! It's nice when your system begins to sound like you expect it to.

Queen Latifah has a wonderful voice. I have the "Living Out Loud" soundtrack. She has three jazzed out cuts on it. They all sound very good.

Well enjoy the system. :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"