X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Advice on CD vs DVD player

I currently have the DTR 5.5 receiver with the DPS 5.5 DVD player and a pair of B&W CDM 7NT's, which I use for both music and movies. What I'm wondering is if I really need a seperate CD player like the CDC 3.4 for better music listening or is the difference that I will gain is just the 6 disc holder?

Steve
  • allmodcons
    • May 2004

I would not think that you will gain a significant enough benefit from that particular upgrade to warrent the purchase. In fact using the D/A converters in the recievier via an optical or coaxial digital connection will probably give you better sound than the internal DAC of most under $1000 dedicated CD players. I personally own an RDC 7 and have found those DACs superior to both my Pioneer DVD player and Nakamichi CD player. Obviously the DTR 5.5 is in a different league than the RDC 7 but I still wager that the internal DACs are quite robust. I think you would have to spend an awful lot on a dedicated CD player to gain a significant benefit over the set up I just recommended. Of course if the disc changing mechanism is appealling you could always get the changer and run a digital output to your receiver.

Comment

• BW4me
      • Nov 2005

I mentioned the CDC 3.4 six disc changer to someone else and he told me the extra motor mechanism was a bad idea for audio quality. Is this the case or will it make a noticable difference at the equipment level that I'm currently at anyways?

Comment

• allmodcons
        • May 2004

I remember often hearing that the extra mechanisms in changers degraded sound quality but I always thought that this was more to do with price point than anything else. The actual spindle/clamp that holds the disc is what really matters and the fact is that the changer mechanism only delivers the disc to the spindle/clamp. The reason I think that sonic differences exist between changer and similarly priced single disc units is that money was spent on the changer component so compromises had to be made in other areas, like DAC's and power supplies. Running a digital output would negate this to some degree.

Please don't sell your system short, it is potentially a very revealing system assuming that your speakers are set up correctly. In fact, I personally run B&W CDMNT 1's as my mains in a system that includes a REL Subwoofer, VPI TNT 'table, SME V tonearm w/ Argo Cartridge, McCormack Pre, Integra Research RDC 7 Pro, and a Carver Sunfire amp. I have auditioned other speakers in house and I must say that I have not felt the need to upgrade although my entire system has changed from the time I got them. The tweeter in the CMMNT line is absolutely fabulous.

Comment

• BW4me
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I actually really enjoy the set up I have for now, which is a long jump from where I came just six months ago. It seems to make the most sense to me to just enjoy it until I can go to separates someday. But I'll probably always hang on to the speakers, there's just so much detail and seperation in my music now.

Comment

• allmodcons
            • May 2004

Those speakers will definately last you through several upgrades of source and amplification components, if I where you I would save the money you where contemplating spending on a CD player and put it away for seperates or even better. . . a turntable!

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

Hi BW,
              I use the 7nt's also. Great speakers with the right equipment. If your receiver has preamp outs, I would try to hook up a seperate amp. it will make a big difference.
              Steel

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"