X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Apr 2005

HK 635 used as a processor with an amp?

Hello all!

Will an HK AVR635 make a good processor connected with a two-channel amp being used to drive the front mains for 7.1?

The amp is a Rotel RB-1080 that will drive a pair of Axiom M80 speakers as the fronts and I'm thinking I'll use my current HK 635 to drive the center, sides and rears...does this sound concievable?

Thanks!

Rick
  • ds22030
    • Sep 2004

This is done all the time...you will likely hear improvements although HKs have pretty good sound and amp sections.....

Comment

• RickF
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ds22030
      This is done all the time...you will likely hear improvements although HKs have pretty good sound and amp sections.....

Thanks 22030....I've always heard that the Yamahas made good processors but didn't know or hear anything regarding the HKs. Thanks.

Comment

• ds22030
        • Sep 2004

Well, your HK will mate well with the 1080...I was using 230 with a 1080 and had great results....although, I cant vouch for the combo with your speakers as I own polks.

Comment

• RickF
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ds22030
          Well, your HK will mate well with the 1080...I was using 230 with a 1080 and had great results....although, I cant vouch for the combo with your speakers as I own polks.
          Update: I did mate the 1080 with the 635 to run the Axiom 4 ohm front speakers and I am not disappointed, the sound is extremely good. I think the sysytem will fit the bill to a 'T'!

Thanks!!

Comment

• DYA50N
            • Nov 2005

RickF,
            How are you finding this combination for 2 channel listening? I am thinking of using the RB-1080 hooked up to my 630 as I need more power to run my Dynaudio Audience 72s. Are there any disadvantages when running HT 5.1?

Comment

• Lestat
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RickF
              Thanks 22030....I've always heard that the Yamahas made good processors but didn't know or hear anything regarding the HKs. Thanks.
              The TI processeor in the 635 (and the 435 as well IIRC) is the same DSP used in some $4k+ surround amps, so I'd hope it's decent.

L.

Comment

• hhcan
                • Mar 2005

I preout the HK630 to B&K reference amp-a noticiable difference in dynamic and clarity.

Comment

• dan87951
                  • Nov 2005

I'm using my HK 520 that way with a Rotel RMB-1075. Even brought HK520 to the rotel dealer cause I was going to get a dedicated preamp, and my ears couldnt hear the difference between the two so i kept the HK.
                  dan87951
                  audio guru

Comment

• alebonau
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

The avr 630 actually makes for a pretty damn good pre-pro. I think you'll find it perfectly fine for the job.

I posted a rreview on it as a pre-pro on our aussie forum
                    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"