Processor with Airplay ----- am I going to the right direction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Tang
    • Jan 2012

Processor with Airplay ----- am I going to the right direction?

I’m thinking about putting a music/home theater system in few weeks/months.
    Using Apple Airplay becomes a big part of my music listening world after I got an iPhone and Zeppelin Air.
    Airplay feature becomes a mush when I look for a processor.
    I have between 10K to 15K as budget in mind (less is better) to spend on the front speakers, processor and amp.
    I will purchase the center/surround speakers once I save more $$$.
    I would like to spend most of the 15K budget in speakers first, then amp and then the processor due to how the technology change in different type of equipment.

Below is what I have in mind.

Front Speaker: 803D
    or 802D

Amp: Marantz MM7055 140W x 5 (I like matching equipment)
    Or
    Emotiva XPA-5 200W x 5
    Or
    Emotive XPA-2 300W x 2 for now.

Processor: Marantz AV7005 (Airplay feature)

What do you guys think?
    Your opinion is appreciated.
    B&W 804 Diamonds
    McIntosh MA-6600
    Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5
    Oppo BDP-105, Sony CD/SACD/DVD Player, PS3, Apple TV
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

How about any processor and amp you want with a $99 Apple TV?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Black Tang
      • Jan 2012

Not sure how apple tv works.
      I'll look into it.
      Thank you for your advice.
      B&W 804 Diamonds
      McIntosh MA-6600

Comment

• dukester
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Black Tang
        Not sure how apple tv works.
        I'll look into it.
        Thank you for your advice.
        +1 for AppleTV. AirPlay works pretty well via iPhone/iPad.
        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• sgtjim57
          • Dec 2008

I have the apple TV running through my TV and into my Denon reciever via Toshlink and HDMI cables. Everything functions as it should. However, I feel the sound quality is not there when it comes to critical listening. For back ground and just playing it is a wonderful means of listening. I will eventually re-rip my CD's into ITunes in a lossless format and see if that will improve the overall sound quality.
          Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
          SVS SB 2000 X 2
          Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
          Oppo BDP 93
          Apple TV 4K
          B & W N804 Mains
          B & W 603 Rear surrounds
          B & W LCR 600 Center
          B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
          Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• dukester
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by sgtjim57
            I have the apple TV running through my TV and into my Denon reciever via Toshlink and HDMI cables. Everything functions as it should. However, I feel the sound quality is not there when it comes to critical listening. For back ground and just playing it is a wonderful means of listening. I will eventually re-rip my CD's into ITunes in a lossless format and see if that will improve the overall sound quality.
            The sound quality of my WAV files over my mp4 are significant...going a step further, my Squeezebox through my C2300 sounds almost as good as my Oppo 83SE but my AppleTV through my AVR lags further behind. For me, I use the AppleTV for family use (videos/photos/bkgnd music) and the Squeezebox for convenient 2ch listening...critical listening is still superior via my Oppo.
            McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Black Tang
              • Jan 2012

Sounds like squeezebox is a better way to stream the music for convenience.
              Correct me if I'm wrong.

With the money we invested in the audio equipment, we want the best sound quality possible, don't we?
              B&W 804 Diamonds
              McIntosh MA-6600

Comment

• dukester
                • Sep 2010

Sounds like squeezebox is a better way to stream the music for convenience.
                Correct me if I'm wrong.

With the money we invested in the audio equipment, we want the best sound quality possible, don't we?
                For around $200 try the Squeezebox, i'm sure you'll be impressed. Only note is I initially had problems using Time Capsule. Added an Airport Express (Linksys Router), now no issues.
                Last edited by dukester; 25 January 2012, 17:07 Wednesday.

Comment

• Black Tang
                  • Jan 2012

I've been reading a lot about what amp and processor to run either the 803Ds or the 802Ds.
                  I know McIntosh/Krell are the popular choice but they are out of my price range.

What can I get with $3,000 (amp and processor)?
                  Should I go with Marantz......probally not due to lack of power.
                  Should I go with Emotive or possible Rotel?
                  B&W 804 Diamonds
                  McIntosh MA-6600

Comment

• dukester
                    • Sep 2010

I've been reading a lot about what amp and processor to run either the 803Ds or the 802Ds.
                    I know McIntosh/Krell are the popular choice but they are out of my price range.

What can I get with $3,000 (amp and processor)?
                    Should I go with Marantz......probally not due to lack of power.
                    Should I go with Emotive or possible Rotel?
                    Audition as many units as possible to find your sound. Maybe start with Emotiva, and while you have it, audition other brands to compare...keeping Emo's return policy in mind. Also, my 803Di's sounded anemic via the 150w (AVR) vs 300w (separate amp)...may need more if you go 802Di. Lastly, make sure your choice has enough pre-outs for your needs and adequate room correction (i.e. Audyssey XT) if you go AVR route.

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

In my honest opinion the Marantz will not be sufficient for the 802D's. You need more power than that. Would probably be better to use the Emotiva - although I have never heard it myself..

Comment

• dukester
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by aarsoe
                        In my honest opinion the Marantz will not be sufficient for the 802D's. You need more power than that. Would probably be better to use the Emotiva - although I have never heard it myself..
                        I too have not heard Emo gear however I agree that you may need a higher end Marantz (or other brand) to equal them. Emo has tremendous value (on paper) and from what experienced/knowledgeable owner's in this forum (as well as many critics) proclaim has resulted in outstanding performance. I would start there to maximize your budget for speakers.

Comment

• Black Tang
                          • Jan 2012

Thank you for all your advice.
                          I'm pretty sure that a pair of 802D is what I want.
                          I just cannot resist the beautiful and sexy marlan heads.
                          They will sit at my living room for a very very long time.
                          Possible the last pair of the floor speakers I'll ever buy.
                          Maximize the budget on speakers is definitely a good way to go.
                          Of course, that will leave me with minimum to spend on the amp and processor.
                          However, I’m 100% sure that any separates I got to go with the 802Ds will outperform my current audio system, Zeppelin Air.
                          I will be a happy camper.
                          B&W 804 Diamonds
                          McIntosh MA-6600

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"